• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Search results

1. Persephone

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Killer clowns in fanfic have a history of exploding buildings right when you think you've escaped them
  2. Persephone

Biggest cultural difference last time I was there is that Serebii had a relatively strong informal review-exchange system. If you regularly read and reviewed someone else's work, they'd likely return the favor. Of course, that was years ago and I've been told that the forum's changed in more...
  3. Persephone

Looking for reading material. On a scale of -1 to 12, how gay are all y'all's fics. Mine sits at a solid 9 at the moment, hope to get it up to 12.
  4. Persephone

I'd argue someone with actual, lived experience in the same situation would be better at playing the role than some other boy playing pretend. More coverage: Why We Need to Stop Calling “Wonder” an “Inspiring Tear-Jerker”
  5. Persephone

Can you name a single time you saw an actually disfigured actor in anything? If so, was the part big enough you can remember their name?
  6. Persephone

Fun fact with regards to the last page: a lot of people on disability Twitter really hate Wonder because they cast a non-disfigured actor as a disfigured character, when actually disfigured people can't get any work at all in the film industry.
  7. Persephone

Wait we're supposed to be professional in reviews Edit: Recs Land of the Roses, The Long Walk - low key journey fics Striking Back: Memoirs of a Clone (in archive): Brilliant but philosophical, if that's not your thing Unpredictable: Rough patch between the edits and now but the ending is...
  8. Persephone

I don't read most of them. I just try to pick up a new one every once in a while and try to keep up with it. It's more effective than you'd think.
  9. Persephone

An observation: The review game, after a few months, hasn't really encouraged new people to start reviewing. It's just led to the people who already reviewed things reviewing more and getting rewarded. So for people who don't have a habit of reading and reviewing other stories: Why? And is...
  10. Persephone

Currently playing Ultra Sun. I want a Totem Araquanid and am prepared to trade my Totem Marowak and/or Gumshoos for it. If anyone wants to trade, PM me.
  11. Persephone

@lucarioknight56 At this stage think of the prologue as a trailer. It's not really a story itself, but it exists to be out there and build interest before the actual chapters come.
  12. Persephone

USUM is essentially just two small DLC-size Plotlines, the ability to catch all legends ever and some little aesthetic, balance or gameplay fixes. It's not worth the forty dollars unless you really want a slightly different take on Alola or are writing an Alola fic and are obsessing over making...
  13. Persephone

Seriously, one chapter at a time is probably the best way to get (re)views. The more you post in a given period of time, the less people will interact with it.
  14. Persephone

Yes. I have. And the criticisms there, about how she's only allowed to save the hero, also mostly apply. Less so, but if it takes you eight books to get one of your main character's right you don't get credit. It's also established repeatedly that most of the gods really do care about their...
  15. Persephone

Ana Mardoll's Ramblings: Tropes: The Curse of the Smart Girl I can't find the other criticisms I've read but they ran the gamut from "'neglectful parents actually really love you' is a bad message," relatively clumsy handling of disability at points (yes, his kid has learning disabilities, but...
  16. Persephone

I enjoyed Riordan's work but he very much didn't follow the Harry Potter route of scaling the series for the maturity levels of the people growing up with them. So they're probably better binging in the target age group but at some point I just stopped being able to really enjoy it. I still...
  17. Persephone

For my money, best one on site is Striking Back: Memoirs of a Clone over in the archive. For currently running stuff looking at previous award winning stories and authors is a good way to start. Or just picking a random title on the front page and reading the prologue to get a feel for it.
  18. Persephone

Rick and Morty fandom is terrible because it has attracted the sort of people who feel the need to assert how smart and worthy they are by status signals. This means that, like other "intelligence status symbols," you end up with a lot of people who are very sensitive to being challenged because...
  19. Persephone

When I did sprite and basic graphic design work I just messed around in MS Paint or GIMP because other things cost money. You'd be surprised what you can do with a decent understanding of GIMP. Not the most user friendly program in the world and not the best for creating really visually...
  20. Persephone

I like TVtropes as a way of finding comics, web comics and lit that have things I usually like and getting a cursory glance at what a story's about I don't read too much into the "stories are just trope collections and that's bad" meme. All paintings are just the same colors in new...