• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Search results for query: *

1. FANG-TAN

Race, Racism, And Representation Within The Anime

"Japanese culture is not as well-known as Italian culture, so the latter is more welcome in an American product" sounds like almost every great excuse to make Asian-Americans to feel more like an invisible and throwaway minority in their own country of citizenship/birth. It's almost programmed...
  2. FANG-TAN

It's fair to make speculation on either or. It doesn't look like the way Japanese manga-style artists would typically draw and color ganguro girls, if I'm going to be honest. But if there was any inspiration from blackface iconography, it's highly unlikely that Rougela was based on blackface...
  3. FANG-TAN

To be fair, I don't think it's an entirely invalid, uncaring nor racist standpoint for someone to, say, do their research and come to the conclusion that knowing the context behind these specific things and accepting that the intentions aren't to hurt could be a starting point to no longer...
  4. FANG-TAN

The anime's official Twitter has posted a 4-koma comic chapter of the anime.

Jeez, this looks like a machine translation. Usually I'd get paid for translating manga, but here's your free human touch. Panel 1 Satoshi: We'll be your guides to Pokemon Orienteering! Gou: We'll teach you ankle-biters the charms of Pokemon! Panel 2 Gou: Oh, it'll be fine if you leave it to...
  5. FANG-TAN

I know it might be hard to avoid vindicating something precious from your childhood - in this case, the Pocket Monsters anime dub - which retains more or less the same archaic practices today, but quiet erasure/censorship of Asian elements in imported media for audiences from the U.S.A. (where...
  6. FANG-TAN

LMAO Sorry, I just can't take it whenever a westerner sees an Asian character from an Asian show and then assumes they're white because god forbid Japanese don't draw themselves as outdated American World War II caricatures of Japanese people. :ROFLMAO: The best thing about Japanese comic book...
  7. FANG-TAN

News New Pokemon Anime Announcement!

What, the announcement tweet? It doesn't say anything other than what English sites like Serebii have already reported. The video: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT This story will take you to all Pokemon worlds! 9/29 - Announcement of details" The tweet: ""This story will take you to all Pokemon...
  8. FANG-TAN

He means it in the context of "I'm going to try and do an even better job with my work compared to before" as opposed to talking about the series literally. It's not something to look that deep into, there's no hidden message to look for. Which is why the Twitter replies that are actually in the...
  9. FANG-TAN

This is what Mima-san's tweet translates to. "Seems like it got announced, didn't it? I'm thankful that I've been put in charge of the new series as well. I intend to challenge this with the feeling of being in charge of a new series rather than an extension. Please look forward to the new...
  10. FANG-TAN

Unpopular opinion: TPCI's dub has the exact same quality as 4Kids' dub

Okay, anyone's free to enjoy the English dubs if they want, but let's not lie to yourselves here. Faithfulness is not subject to opinion, it is an objective characteristic. They are not faithful, so do not pretend they are faithful. There hasn't been a fansubbing group with enough free time or...
  11. FANG-TAN

What do you think of Thunderbolt?

Thunder is more inaccurate, and probably a bad choice for him in the long run. A Special Attack Pikachu with a Light Ball is probably better off with Thunder because the power makes up for the miss ratio, but that's the games where you can afford to take a chance and restart the game if you...
  12. FANG-TAN

SwSh Pool - Will you buy any version of Sword and Shield?

I'm going to have to buy both versions when they come out, simply because my little sister wants to play, too.... oh wait, then again, the Switch has profile switching, so who knows? The version differences are always minimal at best, so maybe I'll just get Sword for dem Saitou feet. I mean...
  13. FANG-TAN

SwSh Player Character dialogue?

They should do it like Growlanser III or any other JRPG that allows you to literally customize your character's personality with dialogue choices, such as blocking off choices if they're too far off from your character's built personality traits. I think I suggested this along with return to...
  14. FANG-TAN

Masters How excited are you for Pokemon Masters?

I'm honestly more excited for it than I am Pocket Monsters Sword and Shield, if only for the characterinteraction fanservice, although I'm decently looking forward to those too (I'm just looking a lot more forward to other games that take my priority in excitement like Shenmue III, Atelier Ryza...
  15. FANG-TAN

Masters What are your thoughts on Gacha games?

I have a love-hate relationship with them. The hate part of the relationship comes from the get rates and being nudged to do micro-transactions to get what I want. Luckily, I have enough self-control not to spend money on mobages, so I never, ever whale. As a Type-Moon fan, Fate/Grand Order...
  16. FANG-TAN

Interesting Japanese Pokémon Move/Ability Names

Recover is じこさいせい 【自己再生】in Japanese. Literally means "self-regeneration" in English. Which isn't just healing, but also includes actions such as regrowing limbs. Think Namekians and Majin Boo from Dragon Ball. This is actually shown in some official Pocket Monsters material, such as the Birth...
  17. FANG-TAN

Preview M21: Everyone's Story

Satoshi's new design looks like he has the potential to channel some mad spiral energy.
  18. FANG-TAN

Game characters that never made it into the anime

Shigeru should have been given an older sister, considering Green had one in the games since the very beginning. Even Dengeki Pikachu gave Shigeru an older sister. On the topic of Silver, Kenta's story and his rivalry with Anime Silver should have been explored in a separate side series based...
  19. FANG-TAN

I just can't get over the new character designs.

Also wrong. The animators are also not in charge of the art style shift, they're just doing their jobs and do a fantastic job of it. Animators like Iwane Masaaki don't tone down their quality of work at a whim. It's commercial art. The person ultimately in charge of the look and feel of an...
  20. FANG-TAN

I just can't get over the new character designs.

There's nothing too off-model about that, in that shot, Pikachu's face was drawn in a three-quarter angle. Pikachu's head and face dimensions are certainly a lot more "cartoony" and narrow (i.e. at those angles, left eye shifts to more ovate shapes are less subtle), so I can see how that can...
Back
Top Bottom