Search results for query: *

• Users: Zekurom
  • Content: Threads
  • Order by date
  1. Z

If you could rename any Pokémon, what would you call them?

Suppose you could give a different name to a Pokémon whose name you disliked. What would you call it? Personally I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are some people with ideas.
  2. Z

What rules do you believe writing should follow?

Too often, I hear the advice imparted to new writers is along the lines of "don't write a Mary Sue" or "make sure your grammar is consistent". Although I am rather opposed to teaching writing in such a way, I am also interested in what sorts of rules people believe are never broken in good...
  3. Z

COMPLETE: Hero (14) (MATURE)

This story was written as a response and sequel to Coward, another creepypasta-with-plot that I rather like. As this fic was composed in a plaintext editor, it uses Markdown syntax rather than BBCode, and I'm a bit lazy to change all of them. Hero A story by Daniel Ernston --- Scene 1: The...
  4. Z

What do you find is the biggest single problem with fanfics?

There are many common problems with lots of fanfics, a lot of which have become tropes, such as the Mary Sue (which I still refuse to acknowledge), flat storylines, et cetera. Personally, I feel that a single problem trumps any other major problem by a mile. This problem is a problem that I...
  5. Z

COMPLETE: [non Pokémon poem] Rhyme at any other cost [EVERYONE]

Oh what a cruel day it is, When parts of words are sacrifiz For the sake of forcing rhyme Without regard for sentence lime. And if you think that meter's safe, Don't bet on it, those extra syllables really chafe. Even words that fit the grammar Don't make sense when put in hammer. About the...
  6. Z

What makes a fic crack?

The second line of discussion in this series. Besides "dark fics", another classification that doesn't seem to have a universally agreed-upon definition (but that my one-shots often get called) is a "crack fic". The general gist is "a fic that makes you go WTF" or "a fic that makes you think...
  7. Z

What makes a fic dark?

I know I've used the term "dark" in the past a lot, but I've been starting to think about what the word actually means. People throw it around a lot, saying that this piece is "darker" than another to somehow claim it as superior (see all the fan hype over Pokémon Special). In my original...
  8. Z

[2012-02-09] Father shoots daughter's laptop on Youtube

Here is a link to the actual video: Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. - YouTube From the Toronto Star (mostly because I needed to show that this was newsworthy).
  9. Z

[2011-08-29] Magic mushrooms actually change people's personality

From the San Francisco Chronicle. And all this, of course, has been known by magic mushroom users for the past forty years. (LOL why am I back here again.)
  10. Z

COMPLETE: Sleeping With Sorora (13)

This is a fic that I (supposedly) typed up entirely on my phone. It's about a trainer named Julian whose Yamask, named Sorora, evolves into a Cofagrigus. ---------- As Julian set up his tent for the night, his Pokémon were playing in the field next to him. The sun was already very low...
  11. Z

MATURE: The Rise of Silph (SuBuWriMo; 16)

This is a fic that I'm working on for Bulbagarden's Summer Bulbagarden Writing Month (the SuBuWriMo, so they call it). It's kind of ironic, though, that posted it at Serebii first and then here, due to the server being overloaded. And here I present the fruits of tonight's labour, the first...
  12. Z

The new layout

I notice there haven't been any posts on the aesthetics of the layout of the new forums yet. I just thought I'd like to point out what I feel are some shortcomings in the new look - some of these may be no fault of Bulbagarden's, but here goes anyway: The top bar, the one that has the welcome...
  13. Z

Create a set of competitive battling rules!

This is both for our amusement and to create some actual new ways of approaching Pokémon battles. Here's the kickoff, as an example: The Attrition Clause (also known as the Taunt clause) Only moves that have a defined power (i.e. greater than zero) or moves that raise/lower stats are allowed...
  14. Z

Build a broken Pokémon!

Let's see some creativity in game mechanics. And in what form? In the form of creating broken fanmade Pokémon! But not just any broken Pokémon. Don't just load up a fanmade Pokémon with base stats galore like Arceus has and consider it broken - that's way too boring and will probably block up...
  15. Z

Contest Battle of the Cuties II - Haxorus vs. Gliscor

On a (slightly) less powerful tier from the previous Battle of the Cuties, we have two seemingly uncute Pokémon with surprisingly cute personalities and under-the-hood appearance (at least in the mind of the poll maker X3). vs. The standard questions apply for this kind of battle: Which one...
  16. Z

How would turn-based game mechanics work in realtime battles?

I'm talking about stuff in the games that works on a turn basis, whereas usually there are no such thing as "turns" in fanfic writing and the world of realtime battles. Would Perish Song, for example, make Pokémon faint in 1 minute? Or would Hyper Beam take 30 seconds to recharge? How do...
  17. Z

Contest Signature Mash! Dragonite vs. Metagross vs. Garchomp vs. Volcarona

That is, Lance's Dragonite, Steven's Metagross, Cynthia's Garchomp, and Alder's Volcarona. The standard questions apply: Which one would win in a battle? Who's better in appearance? How do they match up with their trainers? Is Volcarona actually Alder's signature Pokémon?
  18. Z

Those old Pokémon chapter books

Now that I have a 7-year-old little brother who can read these things, he's now a Pokémon fan too. Well, somewhat - not "fans" like us, but "fans" in the sense that he sometimes gets crazy about it (probably) without knowing what he's doing. But it's a blast to the past for me as well...
  19. Z

Dance Dance Revolution

In Japan, they're coming out with a game called Dance Dance Revolution, where you simulate a dance by stepping on pads with arrow directions to score points. Wouldn't people look really stupid by playing that? I mean, it's not really dancing.
  20. Z

Bulbapedia The actual experience formula for Gen.5

From poccil, on Smogon University. Apparently, the formula involves powers to the 2.5, which are really strange. Here's the formula, ready for placing onto Bulbapedia: (Note: This formula does not include the EXP. Power thing that poccil was talking about.) We'll also have to update the...
Back
Top Bottom