Search results for query: *

• Users: Jaye
  • Order by date
  1. Jaye

Review HZ009: Arrival in Paldea!

If that's what the subs say then sure, I stand corrected. I watched it raw and might have mistranslated. Regardless, I think the point that her seeing it and then disregarding it being a little weird still stands. Even a simple "I'll think about it later" would have worked better for me.
  2. Jaye

Review HZ009: Arrival in Paldea!

These dialogue-heavy, story set-up episodes are so hard to talk about, I swear. Right, so the backbone for today's episode was Liko's complicated feelings about returning home. She's caught the adventure bug but the realisation her time with the Volt Tacklers was coming to an end (as their...
  3. Jaye

Review HZ008: The Secret of the Unopened Door

This might be the strongest episode yet. While the stakes are comparatively lower than the the first two episodes, a lot happens and they manage to get it all in without the pacing dragging and while delivering some good comedy. The first big thing was Mardock. He spends the episode trying to...
  4. Jaye

Review HZ007: Special Training! Captain Pikachu

Turns out I was onto something. Anyway, the other member is called Dot and is the ship's information expert so will likely be full of convenient knowledge for the sake of plot advancement. They also created the app the crew uses to communicate. Dot wasn't particularly impressed with Liko and...
  5. Jaye

Review HZ005: I Found You, Hogator

Remember how Team Rocket would steal Pikachu outta nowhere with a grabby-hand? I'm getting those vibes from Amethio kidnapping Liko. One day she'll be standing there, the next she'll have been picked by his Corviknight or something. Following on from what I said last week, Horizons is focusing...
  6. Jaye

Sexism in the Pokemon anime

Big burly guy who cooks, cleans, repairs clothes and does otherwise stereotypical "housewife" activities is a surprisingly common character type in Japanese media and I'm pretty sure it's less a commentary on gender roles and more for contrast. Discussing sexism in Pokemon is totally valid, but...
  7. Jaye

Review HZ004: A Washed-Ashore Treasure

Just to clear this up, the kids didn't mention Ash at all. All they said was since Roy lived in Kanto, he could catch a Pikachu. On that note, any early fears Roy would be too similar to Ash have been immediately vanquished. Roy's ambition (he notably refers to his goal as a "plan" rather than...
  8. Jaye

Review HZ003: As Long as I'm With Nyahoja, I'm Sure

After the dramatic ending of episode two, this one was unfortunately anticlimactic. Friede's plan went exactly as he wanted it to, Liko got Sprigatito back with little fanfare and the Explorers came off as far more incompetent than they were last time. There's probably some big brain plan here...
  9. Jaye

Review HZ002: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 2

Phew, a lot happened in these two episodes. Too much to break down in one go. Early episodes typically don't have much room for fluff, so I'm not expecting this to be the standard as it goes on, but suffice to say it's a solid start to a new story. My early impression is, the way we'll talk...
  10. Jaye

It's a shame we never had a league/tournament where Ash used all of his Pokemon

Part of that, I imagine, was also down to Kanto and Johto not being separate series and coming under the collective umbrella of what was simply "Pokemon" at the time. Kanto and Johto are so closely connected that continuing on with the Kanto stuff really wasn't all that outlandish. Re...
  11. Jaye

It's a shame we never had a league/tournament where Ash used all of his Pokemon

If you've watched Ash go through a region with a set team and grown attached to that team, you'd want them to be earn their big wins when it mattes most, wouldn't you? Say someone was watching XY as their first Pokemon series, and they really liked Noivern, Goodra, and Hawlucha and were looking...
  12. Jaye

Controversial opinions

I mean, why not expect a character who has matured to actually act like it? If someone's learned their lessons, the expectation is those lessons stick, and if they don't, there has to be a legitimate reason for it. We're not talking about a random moment mid-season. This was episode four of DP...
  13. Jaye

Controversial opinions

Talking strictly about Ash's character, there are two inconsistencies which stood out to me. The first was Ash's combative and argumentative nature early on in DP. By this point, we've seen Ash grow enough as a person to not get into fights and arguments as easily as he used to, but he falls...
  14. Jaye

Controversial opinions

Direction counts for a lot in this case. If you go through Pokemon's staff credits over the years, you'll find their writing team was largely consistent, with only a handful of new writers joining for SM and JN. However, the director position has been filled by multiple people in that time...
  15. Jaye

How would you write Ash off

This is a tough one! I would have posed the "What is a Pokemon Master?" question from the beginning, as it would establish an important frame of reference for the remaining episodes. Those episodes would retain the whimsical, seemingly unimportant nature that MPM's had, but would contribute to...
  16. Jaye

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Possessing a rare item does not make a character a Mary Sue. By this logic, the majority of characters in fiction are Mary Sues, which completely defeats the purpose of having such a label in the first place. Liko's pendant is the equivalent to the One Ring in Lord of the Rings, the nine-tailed...
  17. Jaye

Preview HZ001: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 1 ・HZ002: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 2

The premise for this argument is still flimsy. We had ONE series where the female lead wasn't as prominent as her male counterparts, immediately being proceeded by a new series with a female lead who is MORE prominent than her male counterpart, yet you're using the exception as the reason to be...
  18. Jaye

Preview HZ001: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 1 ・HZ002: The Pendant of Beginning, Part 2

This makes zero sense. Misty, May, Dawn, and Iris all battled. We've had a plethora of female rival characters who battled. Being a female character was never an impediment to being a battler in this show, so why would it be with Liko? If anything, the plot as we know it makes it even more...
  19. Jaye

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

I'd be surprised if the school is significant purely because it has a uniform, and animators will not want to keep drawing Liko in both her uniform and travel clothes every episode.
  20. Jaye

Review JN147: The Rainbow and the Pokémon Master!

This echoes my thoughts on the ending. It's a safe, even underwhelming ending designed to assure long time viewers that although we can't see them anymore, Ash and Pikachu are the same as always, doing the thing they love. It's the ultimate preservation of status quo, for better and worse...
Back
Top Bottom