• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Search results for query: *

1. E

COMPLETE: A Pokemon Microfiction (300 Words, Complete): Firing the PokeRus (TEEN)

Vanryl studied the conclusions to the immunology journals. The key is here, the fucking key is here and I can’t grasp it! He began shaking as he thought his colleagues’ teasing. Then he recalled the things beyond the outpost: Scythers herding the skinned men of Fuschia to the Node’s receptors...
  2. E

Games too outdated by now to enjoy

None. I still prefer Gen One, and hold it to be the best. I have a hard time getting into the newer games because I enjoy the older graphics, the slightly off-looking sprites and the glitches. Gen One was my childhood. These newer generations are someone else's childhood and I hope they find as...
  3. E

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I'm not Flaze, but I recommend Berserk. Today I picked up on a neat writing technique. While reading a segment following four characters, I jumped back to the prologue, then jumped back a couple of books and realized something. These characters had died and become a part of another character. A...
  4. E

Creative liberties with your story

Legendaries earn their status as legends by being the few of their species that venture outside their natural habitat. These habitats are far too dangerous for human exploration. Hence old cultures decided that these Pokémon are legendary in that they are the only ones of their kind seen in...
  5. E

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

The Rockets in my fic have legendaries. I portray Giovanni as a renegade that works with and against the law, secure in the fact that his criminal enterprises are tolerated, as the Rockets protect the scattered towns and cities of Kanto from the depredations of the Glitch Pokémon.
  6. E

What are your game headcanons?

Legendary Pokémon aren't truly legendary in the sense of being unique, or omnipotent deities. They are exceptionally powerful Pokémon adopted as religious symbols by primitive tribes inhabiting the world of the games. Over the years, they were formalized as deities. Some live in environments...
  7. E

Shut Up and Entertain Us: Moralizing in Authorial Works

Yes. I believe the author has the responsibility to be true to himself, herself and the reader. In fulfilling that responsibility, the author would be disingenuous to let the preferred set of values guide the work. The author must also present counterpoints that transcend the role of strawman...
  8. E

Should worldbuilding come second to characters and story?

Not at all. That world and its legion of imitators are, despite the tremendous amount of work put in, very bland. If the setting is bland, then all the work put into is time wasted. It is a case of "work smarter, not harder." It is an epitome of how to not build a world, perhaps. That is kind of...
  9. E

ACADEMY: Lesson 18: History, Culture and Government in your Stories by Jabberwocky

I start with the idea of the Pokémon League(s) as being the major political institutions. The Champions would be the highest-ranked politician figures, then the Elite Four, then the Gym Leaders. Protecting the populace from the depredations of wild Pokémon set the League(s) up as the major...
  10. E

Should worldbuilding come second to characters and story?

Heh, well I don't consider Middle Earth to epitome of worlbuilding. I give this honor to Malaz, though it is mostly because I really enjoy the world and its history. Following that, the Multiverse of Michael Moorcock's fiction or the setting of the Conan stories. I think Robert Howard did a...
  11. E

Your favorite self-created OC(s)?

Sharky Kraken's Eye: Sharky's ascent from trench dweller to Bloom fisherman has given him a sense of responsibility to those around him. His mother's spirituality served as a bulwark for both of them against the harsh realities of life in the trenches. Sharky did a massive disservice to his...
  12. E

Writing tense or frightening scenes

One of my favorites, from The Cold Commands: Ringil doesn't look back. If Hjel the scavenger prince and sorcerer can play this game, so can he. But as the new chill walks its way up his spine, he knows beyond doubt what he'll see if he does turn. He knows because he's seen it before, falling...
  13. E

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Take us on a brief tour before focusing in one your character. I've seen it done well before. Have you ever seen a pokemon fanfic that dodges the journey/trainer/pokewar idea in favor of stylized pulp, perhaps swords and science?
  14. E

The best-written sex scene I've read made excellent use of especially violent descriptors to emphasize the dehumanization of the protagonist in question (a rugged veteran, what you expect to see in a pulpy fantasy novel). Speaking of pulpy fantasy, has dragonblood as a source of magic been use...
  15. E

An issue with the term "Mary Sue" I've notice...

I thought the term originated from some old Star Trek fanzine fiction. If I'm wrong, then I'll rephrase my initial point: "Mary Sue", like "Grimdark," has no place in academic discourse. There is, of course, simple bad writing. Which may or may not be the case for the Cussler character mentioned...
  16. E

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Thank you for the link. My fan fiction is set in the WOTC era TCG universe. This universe is built from the scant bits of flavor that were given in the WOTC Pokémon TCG sets. Here, the Rockets seem to be semi-competent, as there's a Rocket's Scyther, Rocket's Hitmonchan, Rocket's Snorlax...
  17. E

So there's a few readers here who enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire, myself included. Are there any fans of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen in the Writer's Workshop?
  18. E

POPULAR: Cliches in Pokémon Fanfiction

There's nothing inherently wrong with this, so long as the writer has the caretaker give a plausible explanation. It's sort of like the kid who wants to go to art school, only to have his/her parents encourage the kid to pursue an education that offers more opportunities. Ash's Charizard was...
  19. E

An issue with the term "Mary Sue" I've notice...

The term has no proper usage outside of fan fiction.
  20. E

My Charizard Deck (Base Set up to Neo Destiny)

It isn't Sneasel/Slowking, but it is something I'd have rather played back in those days. Moreso than my Sneasel deck. 4 Charmander (Base Set) 3 Charmeleon 3 Charizard 3 Magmar (Fossil) 4 Cleffa (Neo Genesis) 3 Professor Oak 3 Computer Search 4 Professor Elm 3 Lass 4...
Back
Top Bottom