Search results for query: *

1. AetherX

POPULAR: Simple Questions, Simple Answers

dp ninja'd me here, but I thought I'd post this anyway. If you're not too confident with your early chapters, then editing them is a good way to go. I've been posting a fic for a while, but going back and updating the earlier chapters has been very satisfying. And if people critique the old...
  2. AetherX

You could do that same thing but have all the information be stored in the cloud, with a super-comprehensive network of satellites providing global coverage. Every time an empty Pokeball is thrown at a Pokemon, it checks to see if its DNA is already registered in the database as belonging to...
  3. AetherX

@Antoshi I've seen it done a lot of different ways, and I think it really depends on what you're trying to portray. Italics are generally used for psychic communication, if that's what you're going for. If you want to imply a situation where only the Pokemon's trainer can understand what they're...
  4. AetherX

1. Don't cross the streams. That would be bad. 2. If someone asks if you're a god, you say yes. 3. Do exactly as I say. Ready? Ready? Get her! In all seriousness though, it really depends on what kind of atmosphere you're going for. Ghost-types canonically follow a lot of the same rules as any...
  5. AetherX

If this is for The Long Walk, you could compare it with the lights of Goldenrod City at night or something. I don't know, there's a simile in there somewhere.
  6. AetherX

First off, that person is a jerk and I'm sorry that happened to you. How are you supposed to learn to "write correctly" if you don't write at all? If any reviewer ever tells you to give up for any reason, then they can fuck right off. Keeping at it is what makes you improve, and any reviewer...
  7. AetherX

Speaking of harpies, "harping" is a good word for that too.
  8. AetherX

Found this: Possessives of a title in italics The "'s" should not be italicized. I imagine it's the same deal for book/movie titles, ship names, scientific names, etc. If you italicize it, you're implying it's part of the ship's name.
  9. AetherX

I agree with Lyca. Your main two options are to group and to cut. I like to attach information about posture and facial expressions onto dialogue tags. Other than that, unless a particular reaction is exceptional in some way, there's little reason to describe it until the character talks again...
  10. AetherX

Moved this to General Writing Questions for you. I like Archen and Rufflet. Vullaby's another good one. Tropius is criminally underappreciated IMO. Farfetch'd as well. I love flying-types in general, so there are a lot I'd choose.
  11. AetherX

If it's boring because it's not important to the story in any way (be it plot, worldbuilding, or character development), then take a break and try to come up with a way to skip it. If it is important, but feels boring anyway, maybe try giving the scene to someone else to read to see what they...
  12. AetherX

That's actually a huge reason why I prefer writing in first person. It's easy. If the POV character knows this new character's name then I give it in exposition in the first or second sentence after they show up. If the POV character doesn't know the new character's name (and it matters) then...
  13. AetherX

Beginning a story is such a huge topic that it probably deserves a thread of its own, but I'll try to keep this advice targeted at you specifically. The more I've written and read and thought about storytelling, the more I've realized how much I like the "standard" plot progression. That is...
  14. AetherX

Since you're doing most things from the point of view of people on the field or in the stands, commentary doesn't make much sense. Real life sports don't have commentators talking the entire time except on TV or the radio. In person they mostly just introduce the athletes, maybe sum up plays...
  15. AetherX

@Kimberly Prescott When you spend 24 hours a day with someone, you're probably going to run out of stuff to talk about. That's just the way it is. I think you're on the right track with not wanting to have too many "This one time..." stories or flashbacks. Honestly, you might even be able to get...
  16. AetherX

I agree. It's almost impossible to offer advice without the context of the story. If you're looking for general advice, go with the motivations that make the most sense given the character's backstory.
  17. AetherX

You could throw in something from the Gastly line too, since they're both poison-types and somewhat ninja-y.
  18. AetherX

At least in this community, there is no general consensus. I've always felt that the real allure of writing Pokemon stories is the general concept of the Pokemon world more than anything. I've read great fics based off of the anime, manga, and games. I've also read great fics that take place in...
  19. AetherX

I'd say obsidiite. Like "radii" the first 'i' gives you the "ee" and the second one gives you the "aye". I'm pretty sure we have some linguistics people around here somewhere that would be able to provide a more credible answer though.
  20. AetherX

What's the difference between that and knowing the move Dig? Unless you're rigidly sticking to game mechanics (which is not something I'd suggest, but a lot of people do for some reason), they might as well know it.
Back
Top Bottom