Search results for query: *

1. Beth Pavell

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

There is a certain amount of nostalgia on this one, it has to be said. I wonder how much Workshop history is buried on these pages
  2. Beth Pavell

Broadly speaking, we allow a fair bit of leeway if you're using the system in good faith. If we think the rating is wrong, the first response is always to discuss it with the author
  3. Beth Pavell

There isn't a hard number. This is deliberate - we decided that context matters more, and if you start assigning hard numbers, it also begs the question of whether ten 'damns' are the same as ten 'fucks'. And then the rules quickly become a) long, and b) silly
  4. Beth Pavell

One day left to take up my February reviewing challenge! Anyone lagging behind, now's the time to sign up!
  5. Beth Pavell

Whenever you want it to be
  6. Beth Pavell

No, that'll be a lake. You can have a bay in a lake
  7. Beth Pavell

Indeed - I think all Common Law jurisdictions make this distinction. It's like the difference between assault and battery - you might say assault is making someone think you're going to hit them, while battery is carrying that threat out.
  8. Beth Pavell

I don't think you're going to be able to do it quickly, whatever you try. Rather than go for the anime's solution of having the field retract, you might find it easier for the field to be flooded instead.
  9. Beth Pavell

There's that - know what your ending is going to be. You're probably going to flounder more than once unless you have at least a general idea of the arc of the story (Beginning, middle, end; introduction, rising action, climax, if you prefer)
  10. Beth Pavell

There are none, essentially. Review all you like - it's true that when you were around updates were somewhat more frequent. I should also point out that it may be that an unexpected review makes someone's day, and I'm never going to discourage that
  11. Beth Pavell

As far as updates are concerned, realistically, unless you've struck gold as a webcomic author, it won't matter to your readers. Few people will really hang on tenterhooks for a weekly release. Not that having a schedule in your head isn't useful - it is to keep you motivated to push through the...
  12. Beth Pavell

For the moment plans for contests and events are on hiatus
  13. Beth Pavell

I don't think I have a single method across all my stories ... but perhaps by accident for my TEN SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT anthology I've found myself mostly using quotations: IS IT NOT WORTHY - 'Is it not worthy of tears that, when the number of galaxies is infinite, we have not yet become lords of...
  14. Beth Pavell

Sure, if your goal is flat, lifeless, merely functional prose
  15. Beth Pavell

Not unless I'm on a deadline. I write something every day, but I don't do well with wordcount targets, frankly
  16. Beth Pavell

I don't know about easier, but I prefer third-person. I have come across authors who find it easier to write in first-person. I publish mostly on the forums here. In some ways they are clunkier than a dedicated fanfiction site, but it's much easier to get a sense of community on a forum -...
  17. Beth Pavell

It's not unheard of, but it is generally rarer
  18. Beth Pavell

Yeah, the ethics of pokémon battling can be more or less glossed over in most stories, but once you introduce the expectation of pokémon death it opens a can of worms whether you like it or not
  19. Beth Pavell

If you've got two distinct story arcs in one chapter, split it
  20. Beth Pavell

At more than about four, I'd start to ask myself whether I really needed that many to tell the story, or whether I'm just using it as a crutch
Back
Top Bottom