Search results for query: *

1. Beth Pavell

POPULAR: Plot Bunny Zoo

Torquay is a simple one. Tor, from Torre, in turn from the Cornish tor, a rocky outcrop. Quay, a wharf or landing place (Middle English, ultimately from Old French, probably via Norman French, I think)
  2. Beth Pavell

Something I've been playing with for a long time now, something that was originally going to be part of a Long Walk spinoff story named Kings of the River. As most of the story would have taken place in Mulberry Town, I was going to play around with some British working-class stereotypes. One...
  3. Beth Pavell

Yeah, it depends what kind you have in mind. The traditional fic tends to end up being one hell of a commitment. Navigating the waters of cliché can be a problem too - not necessarily in avoiding them, but in not avoiding them to the point where it actually becomes detrimental
  4. Beth Pavell

You might want to also take a look at AetherX's Unpredictable or Emma Prescott's Storm Island for battles that avoid the dreaded "transcript of attacks" problem. I'm sure there's a thread titled Writing Battles floating around here somewhere
  5. Beth Pavell

First question to ask yourself is: where's the story? So far you've got a romantic entanglement, and that's it. If they're Team Rocket, what are they doing while this is all going on? What do you want the outcome to be? Is the romantic plot the main plot or is it something that's going to be a...
  6. Beth Pavell

For a while I toyed with the idea of having one of my protagonists end up as pokémon Watcher, and delve into the idea of what field research and observation of pokémon might entail
  7. Beth Pavell

Hm, well ... depends. As a reader I'm wary of "fix it fics" because they all too easily read more like an essay or a collection of notes than a story. There's nothing wrong with using characters as a way to tell the invented history, as such, though I suspect the challenge would be to do that...
  8. Beth Pavell

@King Scar : Don't forget that a story is a very different animal to a game. The fakemon, whatever they may be, are really less important than the characters and the story you put them through. If they're not compelling then no amount of cleverness in region design will save the story
  9. Beth Pavell

Depends how you approach it, I think. I mean, key the idea of the dæmon from His Dark Materials is that they're not just a cool shapeshifting animal sidekick. I mean, frankly, move aside Ash and Pikachu, because being bestest buddies ever really doesn't compare to the average boy and dæmon. If...
  10. Beth Pavell

Well. A few things off the top of my head. First things first, if you're going to go for a variation of the "taking over the x" plot, then be sure to have the kinks very thoroughly worked out. I'll be honest, I don't really think they're all that convincing in a journey fic - the games get away...
  11. Beth Pavell

I'd try thinking outside the scope of fighting. It's the first thing everyone jumps to when going for a more "realistic" pokémon story of some kind - there is some merit to it, but it's also so played out. You'd get a bit more mileage out of thinking how pokémon could be used in other...
  12. Beth Pavell

I suppose the point is that the talking-to-pokémon concept has been done time and again - well, half-done. At its worst, it's a tacked-on trait to try and make the journeyfic protagonist interesting and empathetic and nice to pokémon etc etc ... and it just feels like cheating. I'll admit, I use...
  13. Beth Pavell

I daresay this will get moved into the Plot Bunnies thread before long, but in the meantime. One of my big pet peeves is the "talking to pokémon" thing, mostly because it's nearly always presented as some kind of vaguely magical superpower. So first thing I'd say is that if you're going to go...
  14. Beth Pavell

As far as the canon is concerned, I'm not a fan of Aura. I think the name is dumb, for a start. Besides that it smacks of psychic powers by another name, to get round the problem that Ash had already been established as non-psychic and to trowel some more koolness onto Lucario. Fanfiction-wise I...
  15. Beth Pavell

Well, by way of clarification I mean talking to pokémon as essentially a superpower. I've used a mundane form of it in The Long Walk, as a product of trainer's love and attention towards their pokémon. It's not completely without canon to back it up, at least in the anime. Morty explains why he...
  16. Beth Pavell

What tends to put me off stories along the lines of the game rewrite is that they tend to cleave so very much to what's in the game. The story is what you make of it - just because the funny costumes don't show up until relatively late in the game doesn't mean that you have to resign yourself to...
  17. Beth Pavell

The unreliable narrator is a balance between mystery and cohesion, I think. I would be wary of trying to jump between three timelines even without that. It's a lot for the reader to take in, and I suspect it would end up causing more problems than it's worth. As I see it, it would be best done...
  18. Beth Pavell

Honestly, I don't think you can do a decent spoof without having read at least some of the source material. Good spoofs have insight, I don't think you can get that second hand
  19. Beth Pavell

This would be set on the ... Adult Link timeline. I can never remember quite how those damn timelines split.
  20. Beth Pavell

I'm generally not a fan of amnesia as a plot device, at least not the way that anime likes to do it. A lot of writers essentially gloss over the fact that it's quite often brain damage. And then there's the common trope where all it takes is some kind of trigger, then cue the gasp and flashback...
Back
Top Bottom