Search results for query: *

1. Beth Pavell

Trope of the Month May: Tournament Arcs

I don't know about that. Sure, he had a pokémon removed from his team through fatigue, but the meat of that loss was the pidgeys coming home to roost regarding Charizard. Despite the occasional refrain of "Charizard needs training", he'd repeatedly chosen to avoid the problem rather than deal...
  2. Beth Pavell

I'd argue that the Kanto arc was really - in my pretty simplistic schema - a plot-based tournament. Certainly, it was about Ash's own laziness coming back to bite him, especially in regards to Charizard. But his character development in the arc only makes sense in light of the battles. We had to...
  3. Beth Pavell

I think it depends very much on whether the tournament is the plot or the setting. If the tournament is a main part of the plot, even if the point isn't necessarily whether the protagonist (Or anyone else) becomes the tourney champion, you have to take that seriously and be prepared to show a...
  4. Beth Pavell

Ah, the tournament. One plot trope anyone who reads Pokémon fanfiction wouldn't be surprised to see. We've had a recent thread talking about this trope, but I felt it could do with dedicated focus this month. I suspect the tournament arc is more often thought about than written. It's the...
Back
Top Bottom