Search results for query: *

1. Daren

Trope of the Month May: Tournament Arcs

His party was in awful shape for the match, though; Pikachu was tired but still had to go in out of desperation, Bulbasaur and Pidgeotto both had to stay out, and being nabbed means he couldn't handpick a team for the match, such as bringing in his powerhouse Kingler. Maybe Richie would still...
  2. Daren

Yeah I'm unsure on Kanto myself. I can definitely see the argument for it being a plot based one. Well, as mentioned I didn't watch BW but it certainly always sounded like bad writing to me. I only read about what happened quite a bit later and was aghast that my own very low expectations for...
  3. Daren

Honestly I chose those two because of how neatly they slot into the two categories. If I had to try: *Kanto--hard to gauge, to be honest. In theory setting since he was trying to defeat Gary, but Gary got knocked out without meeting him. I think I'd go with Plot in the end. *Johto--Setting. It...
  4. Daren

The Pokémon anime conveniently gives us examples of both types back to back. The Hoenn league was about the league--Ash didn't really have any serious rivals he wanted to disprove like Gary; Morrison and Tyson were both chill guys. His longest battle was against Katie, a character with no...
  5. Daren

It's the most obvious answer, but I think all three of the tournament arcs in the Dragon Ball manga worked well, not just as stand alone stories, but also in the way each one increased the competition and stakes from the previous one. They were also the main opportunity for the non-Goku fighters...
Back
Top Bottom