Search results for query: *

1. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

The execution isn't awful, though. Journeys does plenty of things well and its weaknesses are no bigger than what I've seen from Pokemon before. But even putting aside the writing quality, I don't follow the logic that experimenting is only okay if you do it well. Taking risks on something...
  2. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

They've done that story six times already. It wouldn't surprise if they thought the time was right for something different. When you look at the franchise as a whole, the past six years have seen a lot of experimentation with new ideas to keep it fresh and relevant, whether that's expanding in...
  3. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

I see why this annoys people, but it's consistent with how Journeys has approached returning characters. The intention is to use older characters to push the current cast forward. For example, I know there was a bit of disappointment Dawn didn't get any new Pokemon, evolutions and such, but...
  4. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

It's a tricky one for the writing team because they're working within a strange space where the series is neither a continuation or a stand-alone thing. They inevitably write themselves into a corner where the narrative progression suggests Ash should win whatever league he's participating in...
  5. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Beyond annoyance at your favourites not getting the spotlight though, is this really a problem? The way I see it, Pikachu, Eevee and Charizard, among other popular and marketable Pokemon, are gateways to the series. They draw people to the anime, games, and so on, where they can find new...
  6. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

It's funny because my nephew has never watched Pokemon before, but I found him watching clips on Youtube today. When I mentioned it, he said he was watching specifically for Charizard and nothing else. And the only reason he likes Charizard is because he has a Charizard plush and it resembles a...
  7. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

This is all well and good, and I'm not saying it's wrong (I've complained about a lack of team bonding as well, for example), but the interest of the PWC lies in its escalating difficulty and how that will test Ash as a competitor. More than any other series, Journeys' priority for Ash is his...
  8. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

And this doesn't contradict anything I said. Your initial claim Ash in Journeys should get the same criticism as he did in XY because he's "worshipped" doesn't hold up when Goh is the only example you can bring up. Whereas I can bring up several from XY. Yes, actually. He has a fixation on...
  9. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

It's literally just one character? As opposed to his entire travelling party, both rivals and even an evil team boss in XY. It's also natural he has fans in Alola, given he's their first champion. Even then, we only saw, what, two kids who acknowledged this fact while everyone else didn't even...
  10. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Kanto's gym badges were intended to reward Ash for being a good person, rather than a good trainer. People complain all the time he didn't legitimately earn half his badges, but Kanto didn't actually forget about this fact as his lack of skill as a trainer ultimately ended in his defeat against...
  11. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

I feel this. I'm old enough now to be Ash's father so I'm well beyond the point of living vicariously through his heroics. Nowadays I just want to root for him in battles and enjoy him living his best life. But I respect the fact they want to tell different stories these days. Ash-Greninja and...
  12. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Or maybe you haven't a clue what kids are into, not being a child yourself anymore? What's the problem if kids like current Pokemon? Is a new generation getting into a franchise not a good thing? The lack of definition for a Pokemon Master is actually compelling on its own. It's very open to...
  13. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Ash has outgrown the badge quest by now. Even if we're iffy on the Alolan Champion thing, Ash should still be facing off against the best trainers the Pokemon world has to offer at this point So if it comes back one day, it has to be a new trainer who can actually benefit from it while Ash...
  14. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Lillie is one of the best developed characters in the anime. She's established as an empathetic character right from the beginning because she's shown to actively want something (to touch Pokemon) but can't get it because of a recognisable and relatable problem (childhood trauma). Rather than...
  15. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Sure. Bare in mind, I'm talking strictly animation here, not writing. My guess is he was included to round out the group, since he was the total opposite of Iris. In some respects, he's also an over-correction after Brock. By the end of his run, Brock was simply too inactive in the story and...
  16. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Each to their own, but the appeal of anime for me is seeing things move and interact with one another in a way you don't see in a manga or even a game. Animation can enhance a story by drawing out layers of characterisation that can't be conveyed with dialogue, make action sequences more intense...
  17. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

I love Kanto but I wouldn't say it handled mature subject matter any better than modern Pokemon does. It's view of the world was more cynical and less utopic, but I can't think of a moment where it seriously tackled the issue of death and loss, whereas Sun and Moon did on at least three separate...
  18. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

Who knows what the plan is, really? It's interesting to me they opted to open up the anime in this way. To go from no limits on who can be on a team, on where the characters to go, on which characters can come back into the series, and so on, to being in just one region, catching one...
  19. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

The one reason I can think of for Kanto being the home base, as opposed to Galar, is that Journeys isn't ending when Gen 9 comes out. They have a format now that can continue regardless of which games come out. It's not on a time limit like older shows which were anchored in the region of the...
  20. J Bouken

Controversial opinions

By the end of XY, I was about done with the old formula. Old Pokemon is still good, don't get me wrong, but when SM announced Ash was going to school and there'd be no gyms I was like, sign me up right now. Journeys excited me with its premise as well because it widened the scope of possible...
Back
Top Bottom