Search results for query: *

1. PaperSplash

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I don't know, while it's definitely not unheard of for other dubs to downplay or outright censor romantic stuff, I'd say 4Kids was pretty darn pretty consistent about making Ash/Misty shipping hints in Pokémon more explicit than they were in the original (barring a few odd cases like that one...
  2. PaperSplash

Strange how that rumor got spread about Team Rocket escaping at the end being added by 4Kids.
  3. PaperSplash

Ironically Norman Grossfeld actually said in his own interview that he thought the Sailor Moon dub was too faithful (crazy, right?) which he believed was why it initially underperformed in the US.
  4. PaperSplash

Interview with someone who actually wrote many of the 4Kids dub scripts for Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece, among others. Sheds quite a bit of light on the mentality behind script rewrites and such, and while this particular writer didn't work on Pokémon himself, he acknowledges that it originated and...
  5. PaperSplash

People's memories aren't perfect and of course he wouldn't have been privy to every business decision since he just headed the production arm. The "package deal" rumor originated as the self-admitted personal theory of someone who joined later on and wasn't there when they dubbed One Piece...
  6. PaperSplash

And yeah, looking back I've occasionally mixed up the two in my head myself.
  7. PaperSplash

I find it interesting that the information present in the Thunders/Jolteon Pokédex entry in both languages comes directly from the Japanese Pokémon Red and Green games while the part the dub added in comes from their western counterparts Pokémon Red and Blue (which were in turn based on the...
  8. PaperSplash

15:00 is where he talks about making up names that weren't in the style guide.
  9. PaperSplash

It wasn't. Mostly.
  10. PaperSplash

Interview with former 4Kids translator Paul Taylor. He wasn't directly responsible for the rewrites or censorship but there is quite a bit of apologia for it, so be warned. Most shockingly though he reveals he made up localized character names whenever they weren't in the style guide, which...
  11. PaperSplash

I see some people here are theorizing about kept music in Pokémon being a contractual obligation; I used to think that might have been the reason and maybe it was with some of the movies (Eric Stuart even suggested that could have been the case for them) but after all the episodes we've gotten...
  12. PaperSplash

He didn't; I'm pretty sure he's referring to Norman J. Grossfeld claiming on the Mewtwo movie's commentary track that the "Japanese creators" were "moved to tears themselves" by the scene with the Pokémon crying when they watched a screening of the dub, despite the fact that 4Kids had "redone...
  13. PaperSplash

That could be part of it, but I also know there's also a slowly dying but in many ways still enduring mindset that Americans (especially American kids) can't handle more than a few seconds of silence in media or they'll get bored and change the channel or something. Hence the constant droning...
  14. PaperSplash

The 4Kids Flashback interview with former 4Kids music producer John Siegler is available to the public now. I highly recommend you guys listen to what he has to say at the 37:00 mark. Sheds a lot of light into the mentality 4Kids had when replacing music for Pokémon in particular.
  15. PaperSplash

Well, it's a matter of taste. For Horizons I've found the dub music so far to be decent but not very memorable (I felt the same for Journeys at first, but the latter half recycling so many earlier tracks ended up burning the whole thing into my mind). The dub opening did end up growing on me...
  16. PaperSplash

Out of curiosity, are there any specific characters you're thinking of or did you find the voice acting in general to be subpar? I recall in one of your comparisons you mentioned in particular how Iris' voice acting in the dub felt less nuanced to you than the Japanese. I mean, the story...
  17. PaperSplash

A few other important things I wanted to touch on now that the interview with Norman J. Grossfeld is out in the wild: At 23:10 he claims that the decision to "rotoscope out" Japanese writing was indeed to make the show more internationally friendly. And yeah, when juxtaposed with all the...
  18. PaperSplash

Yes. https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/pokemon_shock/rumors.html#Second_Wave
  19. PaperSplash

I'm listening to the interview myself now and he just repeated the "a second wave of victims was caused by news reports' coverage of the [Porygon] incident" rumor you mentioned and deemed false. I assume he just got that factoid from the same western media reports that it seemingly originated...
  20. PaperSplash

So a new episode of the podcast with former 4Kids producer Jim Malone just came out (link here) and to add to this, Mr. Malone claims at 29:10 for Shaman King specifically, he had to write several emails to the original (Japanese) producers about 4Kids' reasoning for the changes they made and...
Back
Top Bottom