Search results for query: *

1. WyndonCalling

Your controversial opinions

Props for embodying the spirit of the thread so thoroughly. :p I think this is an instance of a rising tide lifting all boats - there's swathes of species out there who get utterly ruined by rocks in particular (which in turn feeds into the plucky underdog cred of many of those poor Bug- and...
  2. WyndonCalling

I would be fine if there was only a trickle of new Pokémon, if any. Yes, it's a bit rich coming from me now that I've gotten my Galar fanservice, but recent games have demonstrated that there's a huge range of vibes and experiences you can create by being clever with the existing roster and...
  3. WyndonCalling

Someone's not been reading Bulbanews! :p 'Bidoof is inspired by the mountain beaver, scientifically named Aplodontia rufa. Though it is a North American rodent, it is not actually a true beaver, being a closer relative of the squirrel - thus explaining why it is listed in the Pokédex as the...
  4. WyndonCalling

Do you want a hot take? I don't like too much variety in the species used by opposing trainers or in the wild, and this is part of the reason I'm not a huge fan of Kalos after a much more restrained Unova. Rustboro is clearly one end of an extreme, but a more focused selection of species can...
  5. WyndonCalling

This is the first, actual controversial take in this thread.
  6. WyndonCalling

A hot take arising from another thread - as much as I miss it, I completely understand why the Emerald-style tough Battle Frontier no longer exists in quite the same way. It was a wonderful new mini-region to explore, but the difficulty was probably a little misjudged; if a typical 12-year old...
  7. WyndonCalling

Well, Pokémon was huge at the time... but I think most normal people wouldn't necessarily assume that they've hit upon a formula so successful that it will topple Disney in perpetuity.
  8. WyndonCalling

My controversial opinion here is that it makes a little more sense if you regard GSC as the intended endpoint of the series. The mentality of each new Gen showing off the species of that Gen really comes into play with Hoenn, and since then we've become very used to the notion of eternal...
  9. WyndonCalling

Totally agree. We should all come together as a fanbase and realise that all Gens are each, in their own way, superior to Gen IV. *ducks a barrage of Piplup plushes*
  10. WyndonCalling

The selection of the remaining species and the communication of the changes were both far worse than the concept of a streamlined roster in and of itself.
  11. WyndonCalling

I'm also on the 'should have looked more like a train' train. I still like it well enough that it featured in my in-game team, coming as I do from a town literally semi-famous only for trains, but I have a minor niggle with the asymmetry of the design (somewhat fitting for coal, I suppose) and a...
  12. WyndonCalling

I was similarly never enthralled by Pikachu, but if there's one thing we've learned about the recent popularity polling it's that Japanese audiences really like the twee, cutsey species.
  13. WyndonCalling

To be fair, Galar's leaders also include a rugby player, a swimmer, and a judo - er - person? As a Brit I was actually very pleased it wasn't a Harry Potter studios tour, though I'll admit it would have been delightfully indulgent to see one of the cast really ham it up (some of Galar's species...
  14. WyndonCalling

*Cough* This is not the GameFreak Twitter Spat thread folks... ;)
  15. WyndonCalling

I'm inclined to be more sympathetic towards Charizard than other popular species because it's quite a streamlined concept and design - it's a fire-breathing dragon, and not an especially spiky or overwrought one at that. Mega Charizard X is cringe-inducingly too-kewl-for-school, but both Mega...
  16. WyndonCalling

My response to the first of these takes is that the core Pokemon gameplay was perfected thirteen years ago now in Gen IV (if someone could kindly bring me a coffin catalogue, please) and I can't really envision an alternate universe where the series continued to enjoy success without those...
  17. WyndonCalling

My angst over SwSh's initial release has all but entirely dissipated by now, and I'm chomping at the bit to start a full playthrough once we know the shape of the entirety of Gen 8. It'll sting to revisit the memories of the base game's cutscenes all over again, but that'll be soothed by seeing...
  18. WyndonCalling

To wade in on the Wallace/Steven debate - I preferred Wallace the second time around, not for any of his particular qualities, but because it's interesting when the series attempts to establish something of a continuity and have characters change roles between games (even though Emerald isn't a...
  19. WyndonCalling

My Dexit take: It was perhaps inevitable, perhaps understandable, and perhaps necessary... but the raw emotion from the fans (not necessarily the expression of that emotion) was completely justified. This franchise has spent two decades hammering home the point that we should get attached to...
  20. WyndonCalling

I agree that LGPE's strongest asset is the stylishness, but disagree on the catch mechanics. I found them dull and too far divorced from the battle mechanics - and worst of all, there's limited agency outside of 'throwing it better'. In the main series titles, I know that if I carefully get the...
Back
Top Bottom