• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Search results for query: *

1. Yash

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I think the Korean dub - one of the only dubs based directly on the Japanese version rather than the English dub - has some of those same video edits, so that'd be a good way of cross-checking what's done on the production side and what was done by TPCI.
  2. Yash

The first batch of Horizons episodes (1-12) are on US Netflix now. Having watched the first two, can confirm a few edits that were exclusive to the BBC version Dogasu wrote his comparisons based off of: the title card for "The Pendant That Starts It All Part 1" has on-screen text now, it...
  3. Yash

I mean, that can really be said for every anime, can't it? The Japanese license holders always have the power to put certain conditions on what liberties an American production company takes when dubbing one of their shows. Even back in the 60s the only reason the Speed Racer anime kept its...
  4. Yash

I'm speaking more to the name changes 4Kids made with One Piece (although there were plenty of pointless visual/dialogue/etc. edits too), like changing Trace to Ace or Cobra to Nebra. Frankly I'm also not convinced they couldn't have gotten away with more considering their dub of Shaman King...
  5. Yash

My guess with the Ford -> Ethan change is that they might have felt weird about him being named directly after a real person, so they instead changed it to the name of a character from the movie. I recall the directors of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame talking about how they wanted to name...
  6. Yash

Part of me wonders if they ever considered naming that guy Satoshi as an in-joke/easter egg. There was a moment in the last season of Yugioh when Mana refers to her bird (nameless in the Japanese version) as Anzu (Tea's Japanese name), and I'll admit despite not caring at all for the 4Kids dub...
  7. Yash

Yeah the first three seasons kept about ~70% of the music across the board, only for that to dip tremendously at the start of season 4. I fully agree with you that it should be 100% retained without any insertions to cover up silence, but man, looking at those Horizons episodes, 70% retention...
  8. Yash

You're right, the cards were most likely blanked as a separate issue related to the FCC/advertising rule, but Yugioh was also the first 4Kids dub that really started the "erase ALL text, including English" silliness, like the Toon World card itself having the text "Toon World" blanked...
  9. Yash

I think the theory that 4Kids liked to “prepare” their shows for international airings by blanking out text (especially when they started blanking out English text) sounds somewhat rational, but like Dogasu said, there are just too many examples of them adding in text that just gets left in...
  10. Yash

It is weird how in those early episodes they'd just have characters disappear for a while without much explanation. Still getting a groove I guess, but still. At least it sounds like he has a better excuse in the Japanese version than in English. I was just thinking about that in connection...
  11. Yash

Interesting to find out that "so, you must be Ash" line was a mistranslation/change all along. I remember fans talking about that literally DECADES ago (lol being old) as some sort of crazy retcon from the terrible anime writers when they had that flashback in Johto, but it turns out it's just...
  12. Yash

What confuses me about this is wouldn’t TPCI still benefit from royalties of the Japanese soundtrack if they’re all part of the same company? Like, I understand TPCI is still technically a separate entity from The Pokemon Company in Japan, but like… how different can that possibly be? Probably...
  13. Yash

This was also what frustrated me about 4Kids’ uncut DVD releases. Was it cool getting a more accurate dub from the ground up? Sure, but had they taken the Funimation approach from the beginning, and done uncut dubs for Yugioh, Shaman King, One Piece etc. that were then edited down to Fox Box...
  14. Yash

Found that whole article/chapter to be fascinating, Dogasu. Thank you for publishing that and putting that out there - there's so much juicy information floating out there that's only "lost" or new to English-speaking spheres because of the language barrier, see DidYouKnowGaming's recent...
  15. Yash

I mean, in the Pokemon timeline that was only like, two weeks ago anyway.
  16. Yash

I felt bad for Shawn because he apparently had no idea the song was so negatively received in the fandom before he made a video talking about it. He made a follow-up video where he basically apologized for writing it, and it's like, I hated that song as much as anyone else, but lay off. The...
  17. Yash

Yeah, that didn't even occur to me, lol. I could see the fact that he probably gets more attention for having sung the Pokemon theme than anything else in his career whenever he drops a new version or parody of it ruffling some feathers. It's not like 4Kids ever made the effort to work with...
  18. Yash

Hey, someone asked, I answered. I'll give Jason the benefit of the doubt on the Church of Satan thing only because that factoid no longer seems to be printed anywhere, but he did release a song back in 2010 entitled "Thank You, Satan." Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Either way, should...
  19. Yash

He made a similar parody of the Pokemon theme song that featured him walking around in a hazmat suit "collecting" all of the COVID variants (gotta catch 'em all), with lyrics suggesting that the pandemic was a conspiracy orchestrated by big tech and pharma to cull the population and all of that...
  20. Yash

Doesn't sound like it - sounds more like one of the mixes they did with Ben Dixon for either the 20th anniversary movie or the Mewtwo remake. tbh I'm guessing with some of Jason Paige's uh, political activities since he did Pokemon TPCI probably wants to keep their distance.
Back
Top Bottom