Search results for query: *

1. I

American Politics Thread

So true, but we have to remember the lie that got the US into Iraq in the 1990s which I believe also happened at the UN (the babies in the incubators who were being taken out of their incubators by the Iraqis and the fact that the "witness" that spoke was the daughter of the Kuwaiti Ambassador...
  2. I

American Politics Thread

I was about to post this in the In Memoriam: Celebrities section but it is over two months since the last posting (and I didn't want to risk a warning), but Colin Powell, who served as Secretary of State during the first George W. Bush administration (2001-2005) has died from coronavirus aged 84...
  3. I

American Politics Thread

Or The Apprentice (which he created) in addition to WrestleMania (not really into WWE). Note that the rise of anti-intellectualism is not unique to America, as it is happening around the world like here in Australia. So Trump is actually a side effect of the anti-intellectual culture that is...
  4. I

American Politics Thread

I am from Australia, but from the look of it, the Republicans may have jumped the shark here by cancelling Liz Cheney and not the far-right wingers who backed Trump who was by and large the worst person to hold office in US history. But we can't fully blame Trump for it, but the...
  5. I

American Politics Thread

I agree with you. I believe that Donald Trump was contemplating getting US troops out of Afghanistan, blaming his predecessors (George W. Bush and Barack Obama) for not getting troops out, but didn't do so in the end (nor did he close Guantanamo Bay, which Barack Obama also failed to do) and...
  6. I

American Politics Thread

It looks like the end of Trump, and I don't just mean his political career. The Trump Organization could also be on the verge of collapse, with New York kicking his organisation out over what happened at the Capitol last week (goodbye Trump Tower), the PGA won't hold events at his golf course...
  7. I

American Politics Thread

I saw a bit of Trump's video on ABC News (here in Australia) and I was pretty shocked. There are two problems with what he said in the video. 1) He said freedom of speech was under attack. What about attacks on the First Amendment like freedom of the press and freedom of speech. He attacked...
  8. I

American Politics Thread

Sadly, there has been many far-right wing populists elected since Trump such as Victor Orban in Hungary and with an election due either this year or next here in Australia (most likely this year), I am concerned that we could see far-right wingers elected here in Australia. But there has also...
  9. I

American Politics Thread

I stand corrected.
  10. I

American Politics Thread

There are reports emerging that America will see a smooth transition with Trump conceding defeat and Biden will be sworn in on 20 January (I think 21 January 2021 Australian time) (Live Updates: Pressure on Trump Intensifies as Resignations Roil End of His Term).
  11. I

American Politics Thread

I think we should wish for an orderly transition and no more violence. I think America has had enough of the violence, especially in the past 24 hours. I think what happened in the past 24 hours has seen America's credibility tarnished, and I think a smooth transition from Trump to Biden will...
  12. I

American Politics Thread

I agree with the above poster. Donald Trump was scrapping the bottom of the barrel with his policies. No doubt a lot of people will be happy to see the back of Trump (except for...you know who). Let see what the next four years will bring. And interesting bit of trivia: if all of the living...
  13. I

American Politics Thread

Even though I am an Australian, I am so relieved that Biden won. But I am already worried about Biden as there is another case of coronavirus in the inner circle of the White House (White House chief of staff reportedly tests positive for coronavirus). Remember that Biden is 77 and I think is...
  14. I

American Politics Thread

I think your idea is even better than mine. While it is true that many people still work on a Saturday, we do allow postal votes here in Australia, and we didn't have any issues with it. In fact, we had postal voting in our recent council elections here in Victoria. But I do like your idea of...
  15. I

American Politics Thread

Its looking good...for the world's sanity. As mentioned earlier, Biden is 6 electoral college votes away from the White House. What I don't get is why they are declaring Michigan for Biden, yet it looks like Trump is in the lead. Can someone explain that. And while elections are held on a...
  16. I

American Politics Thread

Correction. The world is doomed if Trump wins, not just the United States of America. Especially with his ego over the button to set off nuclear warheads (while telling everyone else not to have nuclear weapons)
  17. I

American Politics Thread

Some people claim that Trump is draining the swamp in Washington, D.C. But guess what? Trump stacked his team with family members and cronies. That is not draining the swamp. That is cronyism, something you would expect in countries such as North Korea or Russia or Belarus or even Saudi Arabia...
  18. I

American Politics Thread

I feel that Trump is upset because he will lose a DEMOCRATIC election. He wants to stop the counting of votes (and use the Supreme Court to do it), but its not as simple as he (Trump) thinks. This is not the first US election to NOT be decided on the night (in fact, the 2016 elections wasn't...
  19. I

American Politics Thread

Interesting story from Iowa in which there was a problem with a ballot scanner due to hand sanitizer on voters' hands.
  20. I

American Politics Thread

I am currently watching the coverage here in Australia. And I just heard the news on ABC (no relation to ABC in the United States) that Georgia has elected a follower of QAnon to the House.
Back
Top Bottom