Search results for query: *

1. technickal

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

That comparison was an interesting read for sure. I do still personally feel, however, that most of the 4Kids lines that were kept had a lot of emotional "punch" behind them, even if they were objectively less accurate to the original Japanese. I'm definitely willing to admit that nostalgia...
  2. technickal

I like this Translation Tuesdays idea. It's an improvement from Kanto 2017 IMO because it means more variety and less schedule slips. Plus, there's so much untranslated Japanese material from the franchise, episodes are hardly the half of it. Though I'm going to have to say that the dub...
  3. technickal

At first I wondered why you – aka the biggest English-speaking advocate of the Japanese version of Pokémon – would care so much about how fans defined a dub-only phenomenon. But after reading your write-up it all fell into line. Overall, very educational and informative article. A tinge...
  4. technickal

I doubt someone outside OLM, ShoPro or TPC(i) would get to see a copy of the unaired BW episodes but what people have hypothesized seems very plausible. I mean, we already know about the recycled animation for Operation Tempest – it wouldn't surprise me if they borrowed a few plot points as...
  5. technickal

I don't think it was dated at the time – just very out of place for a show like Pokémon, even taking Kanto weirdness into account.
  6. technickal

Regarding this point, this is both true or false. Yes, TPCi relies on rhyme and alliteration a lot more than 4Kids when it comes to Team Rocket. But 4Kids still is no stranger to it, as you would know by reading Dogasu’s comparisons. Admittedly they did do it a lot less, so I think the...
  7. technickal

The last episode was mostly light on edits, but I enjoyed reading about the subtle character differences between versions. Ash and Ritchie are a little haughtier, Misty is a little moodier and Team Rocket is a little punnier. Of course, this could be another example of 4Kids liking to exaggerate...
  8. technickal

I already agreed with Dogasu on Ash losing making sense but being poorly executed. I have more mixed feelings on Ritchie though. I think what they were going for with him was a more down-to-earth rival to Ash on equal footing with him, compared to Gary who was already way ahead of him. But...
  9. technickal

I believe the only "banned" episodes in America that affected Japanese re-airings were the Jynx ones.
  10. technickal

I understand what they were going for in "Fire and Ice", but I think it was missing the point of the whole League arc. Viewers enter these episodes, so when you relegate them only to the first and last five minutes of the episode people are going to be justifiably disappointed. Granted, I think...
  11. technickal

How did they handle the “match” and “shake” puns, I wonder?
  12. technickal

Yeah, I've noticed 4Kids has had a pattern of rewriting Gary's lines since at least the last Gym Battle. It seems like they were aiming to make him more outright cocky rather than passive-aggressive. Which I suppose brings him closer to his game counterpart, but it still reeks of the 4Kids "kids...
  13. technickal

Looking back, the Kanto arc had some really weird pacing, even though it started off strong. Sure, there was that odd decision to have Ash be given his first few Gym Badges instead of earning them, and the Porygon incident delayed and canceled a few specials, but I feel like Charmander's...
  14. technickal

I noticed Otoshi’s faux-Japanese accent too, but didn’t see it as any more or less stereotypical than the many, many accents 4Kids gives its COTDs. Of course, having a native speaker would always be the better option, but the dub in general had – and has – a pretty limited talent pool outside of...
  15. technickal

The thing with Steven is that he got a recast in the Japanese dub. The only reasons why that usually happens is death or retirement of the original VA, or they're trying to deliberately separate the continuities like in Origins and Generations. Of course, it could just be that they forgot his AG...
  16. technickal

At least he got his time to shine in XY, although it's still ambiguous whether that Steven's intended to be the same person or not.
  17. technickal

Have to say that I prefer Taylor's AG take on Ash the most. In early Kanto he sounded rather unnaturally deep and throaty, which was fair as she was just adjusting to the role. But then she overcompensated with that falsetto voice we hear in the Orange Islands and Johto. It wasn't until late...
  18. technickal

Yeah, he brought that up in his last revision of that review. Not sure why he removed it.
  19. technickal

Well, it's featured more prominently in the "Meowth's Song" ending, as well as the original versions of Mewtwo Strikes Back and Mewtwo Returns. It seems to be a Japanese philosophy thing, and in this context I think it's supposed to idiomatically mean "why is the world is still moving". As in...
  20. technickal

The dub of this episode is just...wow. I could tell there were plenty of dub-isms throughout, but the script was even more heavily edited than I thought. Granted, the dub lines are pretty funny in their own right, but I still don't see why 4Kids felt the need to change most all of those lines...
Back
Top Bottom