• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

World's first Pokémon Blu-Ray releases announced: Australia to get Arceus and Zoroark

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
World's first Pokémon Blu-Ray releases announced: Australia to get Arceus and Zoroark movies ...

Arceus and the Jewel of Life and Zoroark: Master of Illusions are to be released on Blu-Ray in Australia on 1 June, 2011.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: World's first Pokémon Blu-Ray releases announced: Australia to get Arceus and Zor

._. *fangasm*

I dont' know why I'm so excited for this, but I am!

Re: World's first Pokémon Blu-Ray releases announced: Australia to get Arceus and Zor

I plan to buy these when they come out.^-^

I'm so excited.

What? Japan, you've finally done it! You've finally given yourself a Blu-Ray for Poke-

Australia to get Arceus and Zoroark

Oh...

Cool news. I hope the other Sinnoh movies aren't too far behind (for North America, as well); I vastly preferred movies 10 and 11 to 12.

That's good news!
And I agree, I hope the other Sinnoh movies get released in Blu-Ray soon.

I, personally, would like to seen a Pokemon 1, 2, 3, and 4 re-done with Blu-Ray. I lost interest after the original 4, so I'd love to see those be remade.

Edit: The Deoxys movie (I don't know the number) would also be nice to have as Blu-Ray.

Last edited:

Those Diamond and Pearl movies getting a Blu-Ray release is just "meh" at best for me. I don't really care and am indifferent at best. The second and third movies getting Blu-Ray releases I really would like and would be excited about but not this one.

Those Diamond and Pearl movies getting a Blu-Ray release is just "meh" at best for me. I don't really care and am indifferent at best. The second and third movies getting Blu-Ray releases I really would like and would be excited about but not this one.

And what would be the point of releasing an upscale of a certainly-not-HD movie on Blu-ray?

I'd be happy to see the twelth and thirteenth movies be released on normal DVDs in the UK, as we never get any Pokemon DVDs in the UK. None at all.

And what would be the point of releasing an upscale of a certainly-not-HD movie on Blu-ray?

All the Pokemon movies have originally been animated for a theatre run, even if they don't get one in every country. As long as a new, HD transfer was made (assuming the original transfers weren't HD to begin with, and scaled down for the DVDs) they wouldn't need to upscale. If Snow White can be put on Blu-Ray in HD, then any Pokemon movie certainly can.

In fact, I believe the 3rd movie already is available in HD through AppleTV, so I see no reason why all past Pokemon movies can't be released on Blu-Ray in true HD quality.

Last edited:

What? No comments on the fact that a Nintendo property is getting released on a format partially owned by Sony?

I still either use DVD or watch them online, so this isn't a big deal for me. Especially since I live no where near Australia. XD

Great news. I am glad to hear of some Pokemon in HD. Can't wait for the Japanese versions to come to Blu as well.

All the Pokemon movies have originally been animated for a theatre run, even if they don't get one in every country. As long as a new, HD transfer was made (assuming the original transfers weren't HD to begin with, and scaled down for the DVDs) they wouldn't need to upscale. If Snow White can be put on Blu-Ray in HD, then any Pokemon movie certainly can.

In fact, I believe the 3rd movie already is available in HD through AppleTV, so I see no reason why all past Pokemon movies can't be released on Blu-Ray in true HD quality.

Quoted for truth. Almost any movie that goes in theaters is good to go for Blu and I know Pokemon is primed for Blu, even more proved by the 3rd movie in HD on Apple TV.

2 and 3 both have HD transfers (we know this thanks to iTunes). 1 probably will at some point, even though it won't look that great (I think it was shot in 16mm). I don't know whether the Australian discs will be region-locked (Blu-Ray has different and fewer regions than DVD-notably, the US and Japan are both in region A).

You are forgetting that HD transfers of Pokemon The Movie 2000 and Pokemon 3 The Movie DO in fact exist! And believe it or not they really are true HD most likely downscaled from 4K resolution or 1920x1080.

Though it's hardly guaranteed to be accurate, according to IMDB the first movie's film format was 35mm like most other theatrical content of the day. So it should be possible to do a digital transfer of that at HD (or higher) resolutions, as well.

2 and 3 both have HD transfers (we know this thanks to iTunes). 1 probably will at some point, even though it won't look that great (I think it was shot in 16mm). I don't know whether the Australian discs will be region-locked (Blu-Ray has different and fewer regions than DVD-notably, the US and Japan are both in region A).

Australia's region B.
Region B includes according to Ezydvd's site:
Africa, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Oceania, Middle East, Netherlands, British overseas territories, French territories, Greenland

We'll have to wait and see on whether it's region B exclusive or whether they'll slap on the region A aswell which has happened on a couple of blu-ray released here.
However don't hold your breath.

It was done and actually released on the Apple TV in 720p HD in 2010 for Pokemon The Movie 2000 and late 2009 for Pokemon 3 The Movie. Myself and others have seen these encodes and have confirmed them to be true HD not just an upscale of the widescreen Japanese transfer.

I hope the USA will get these. They probably will...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom