• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Compare and Contrast: The Final Fantasy Legend: Pokémon isn't the only monster-traini

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Compare and Contrast: The Final Fantasy Legend: Pokémon isn't the only monster-training game

It may be taboo to even bring up such a subject on a board, especially dedicated to those crazy creatures we all know and love. But hey, it's the truth, ya know. Some of these came after the release, and were generally regarded as clones of the game. Some of these came before, pulling off monster-training long before Pokémon even tried.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Compare and Contrast: The Final Fantasy Legend: Pokémon isn't the only monster-tr

I had never heard of this game before. I knew the concept of Pokemon wasn't completely unique though.

Re: Compare and Contrast: The Final Fantasy Legend: Pokémon isn't the only monster-tr

I really enjoyed this article, though I had never heard of this game.
I look forward to future installments. I hope to see one on Elebits, since I really rather enjoyed that game :D

i used to play the FF games & they are very good - the only thing that kept me playing pokemon was it was mainly portable whereas FF had several console games (i prefer multiplayer console games - i find one player console games very unsociable)

*EDIT*
after reading the article i feel a bit silly as this is nothing to do with the FF we all know! brb, slapping myself in the face with a wet fish...

Last edited:

I had never heard of this game before. I knew the concept of Pokemon wasn't completely unique though.

You don't know of FF Legend? It's one of the more well known GB games.

Wait, didn't Shin Megami Tensei do the same thing before Pokemon too?

Maybe that should be the next article.

As well as the similarities mentioned: "four heavenly kings" in The Final Fantasy Legend...well well well, isn't that what the Elite 4 are called in Japan?

This was pretty interesting! I haven't played any SaGa games, though they had been catching my attention for a while... Didn't know they were any similar to pokémon.

And I guess you can find references to "four heavenly kings" in pretty much any japanese RPG.

I was expecting Shin Megami Tensei to show up too, since I think it's kinda the codifier for the whole "giving orders to monsters"...

somehow i am looking forward to the comparing of telefang to pokemon.

There were plenty of monster games back in the day,from digimon to monster rancher, and even my personal fave, Jade Cocoon <3

Before you compare anything else: Digimon. The one and only Pokemon counterpart everyone is most familiar with. It's practically SCREAMING for a comparison now, due to large numbers of total Digimon (Currently in the 800s if I remember).

Before you compare anything else: Digimon. The one and only Pokemon counterpart everyone is most familiar with. It's practically SCREAMING for a comparison now, due to large numbers of total Digimon (Currently in the 800s if I remember).

a bit over 1 thousand now,really. But with THAT many creatures your BOUND to get some overlapping ;o

I can't believe that some of you have never heard of this game. There was even a comedian making fun of this game. I tried to find the clip on you tube but couldn’t. It was literally my first RPG. Damn now I feel old....

From a Digimon freak, parts are the same, but a lot of parts are different. Mainly the anime (which just got a reboot, Xros Wars), the games, and the design styles. Just like how Pokemon has different eras of designs, Digimon does too.

As for the high number, there are a lot of Digimon, in the games, the anime, the V-Pets, and the card game. According to the WtW DMA DigiDex, there are 1149, and that hasn't even included the newest Xros Wars episodes, so some of the new major ones like OmegaShoutmon (yes, XW has evolution) or the ones from that new Digimon Story game aren't listed.

Oh, and Digimon Tamers is the shit.

From a Digimon freak, parts are the same, but a lot of parts are different. Mainly the anime (which just got a reboot, Xros Wars), the games, and the design styles. Just like how Pokemon has different eras of designs, Digimon does too.

Oh, and Digimon Tamers is the shit.

well, to be fair, all of them after 02 were reboots (AWESOME ones)

and i agree with last sentence!

(IF you used ''The shit'', to refer something good)

Yes, I refered to it to mean something good. Tamers is kickass.

Season 6 has been awesome so far too.

There's also Dragon Warrior Monters, a pretty good game...

...I suspect that the next artical is about Megami Tensei or the Shin Megami Tensei series, but if it's DragonQuest, BW reeks of 'You know what was cool? DRAGONQUEST V. Totally need to ram more DragonQuest in Pokemon.'

BW is also earily similar to the first Digimon World in the 'Mons of ___ Type Live only at ___'. Thing it does. Digimon World DS is similar to Pokemon though.

Re: Compare and Contrast: The Final Fantasy Legend: Pokémon isn't the only monster-t

Yeah, the Digimon Story/DWDS series is the closest Digimon game there is to Pokémon. The next one will probably be MegaTen though, but I hope there is one on Digimon.

Oh, and there are also the obscure (outside of Japan) Wonderswan Digimon RPGs, which are more plot driven (and cross over into the multiverse of all the seasons)

As for the ff legend, the article made me want to buy it now.

Last edited:

You may want to instead hunt down SaGa 2/FFL2, which sanded out many of the rougher problems with the systems in the first SaGa (not to mention introducing robots; when they equip something, that something's maximum charges get permanently halved, but they won't break, instead now treated like a mutant/esper's special powers). There was even a remake for the DS, but given how the most recent non-remake SaGa games had failed so horribly on this side of the Pacific, no attempt was made to port it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom