• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pikachu is ill!

Zhen Lin

φιλομαθής
Reaction score
Ikue Ohtani is not well, apparently, and has taken sick leave.

So... any guesses on:
1. Who will replace her for the time being?
2. When will we first see the replacement?

If you want to find the amount of time that will pass before we hear the new voice, find out the delay between Megumi Hayashibara's maternity leave and Akiko Hiramatsu's debut as Musashi.

You know, with Pikachu, they could re-use old voice clips. If the voice is replaced, the name that keeps popping in my head is Satomi Koorogi. She's Pichu.

That sounds logical. I mean this is a Pokemon we're talking about, they can easily re-use old voice clips from the previous 400 episodes of the show in her absence.

Well whatever they do, they should do it well cause wouldn't it affect the dub? (If I remember correctly, Pika's voice is one of the few retained from the Japanese episodes)

In all but one episode (they had Rachel Lillis do the replacement voice in School of Hard Knocks, because they couldn't seperate Ohtani's voice from the rest of the cast in that one).

Pikachu, to my knowledge, is undubbed the world over.

Argy said:
If you want to find the amount of time that will pass before we hear the new voice, find out the delay between Megumi Hayashibara's maternity leave and Akiko Hiramatsu's debut as Musashi.

Three weeks from birth (June 28, 2004) to AG085 (July 15, 2004) -- however, she may have started leave a week (or more earlier). She came back in AG093 (September 9, 2004) - which seems rather short for maternity leave. My theory is that as soon as she was available, they started rerecording episodes starting from the one nearest airdate.

You know, with Pikachu, they could re-use old voice clips. If the voice is replaced, the name that keeps popping in my head is Satomi Koorogi. She's Pichu.

And Mew of Rōta, and that Mew as Pichu. And Togepi. And Hiroshi's Pikachu, Leon. The elder Pichu was Tōma Yumi, who is also Haruka's mother, Marina's Pink-chan, and Miyamoto in that drama.

Let's not forget Pikatwo, Megumi Hayashibara.

4Kids reuses Pika clips all the time and you can't tell the difference. I'm sure Japan could do the same. They have a plethora of Pika clips from the movies/eps.

How long will she be out for? A few episodes, a few months even? If it's not a serious illness then I wouldn't suspect she would be out for too long.

Pikachu only really has a vocabulary of about 15-20 different phrases. The only time any real dialogue comes in for Pikachu is in eps where it's been seperated from Ash. Unless one of those crops up in whatever space of time Ohtani is ill, I'd say they'll probably just use the clips they're bound to already have lying around.

It's a shame to hear that she's ill, here's hoping she gets better soon ^^
But in the meantime I'm sure whatever they do, whether it's using old clips or choose another VA to do Pikachu for a while, I'm sure they'll do a good job in it ^^

Yeah, they could problably actually let Ohtani go on a permanent basis and just continue to use her old voice clips while paying her royalties.

Reminds me of an eppy of the Simpsons where Homer met the voice of the Roadrunner and found out she only said the word "Beep" in one recording session.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Pikachu, to my knowledge, is undubbed the world over.

Partly true. Pikachu is, as fa as I know undubbed all over the world, but it wasn´t always undubbed. The first US season of pokemon ( until "The March of the Exeggutor" I think, I´m not sure) had a dubbed Pikachu in germany. And I mean dubbed, the german voice actress replaced the japanese voice in every scene. Same with Topgepi before OI. Nintendo forced the dubbing company to remove the dub-tracks from the episodes and we got the original voice of pikachu in the re-runs.

Funny thing...in the official Club Nintendo magazine was a question from a fan why they changed the voice and their response was: " the german voice actor became ill"

mh, too much offtopic ^^;

I wonder if the current One Piece episodes will suffer the same fate and they´ll get a different chopper for a few episodes.

Does she do any other voices in Pokemon? Rember how the new voice actor screw Mudkip up when Megumi left? (She does Gash in Gash Bell too! The main character having a voice change is gonna cause problems...)

As far as I can remember, the only other regular voice Ohtani provides is that of Manene.

Strange news bit from Anime News Network

FujiTV reported that Ikue Ohtani was taking a leave of absence because she was in "poor physical condition" (literal translation), based on this ANN reported that she was ill. ANN has now confirmed that Ohtani is not ill, but in in fact on maternity leave. All other information in the news post about her replacements is correct. ANN regrets this mistake.

Anyone confirm, or did ANN drop the ball?

Eh. Well, if that is the case, then we know she'll be back after two or three months of leave.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom