• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dodge ball free-for-all [Game Over - won by Mijelffan and sourcandy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolking503

now's the time to shine
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

For lack of a better introduction, this game is based upon a game I played as a kid, except instead of being a real action game played outside, I changed it into a more strategic version which is a forum game. If you read the concept you will see how it could very well be played as a playground game. Since its a new game, I strongly encourage everyone to read how it works so you know how to play.

This game will have, hopefully, a square number of players, so 4,9,16,25,36, etc, although any number is fine, since empty squares get eliminated as the game goes on (more on that in a minute).

As indicated by the "free-for-all" part of the title, there are no (pre-made) teams. (Though by all means, make alliances yourself). In the end, there will be one or two winners, more likely two than one however. If you get hit by the ball you are out (unless you catch it, like in dodge ball, although if someone catches your ball you aren't out).

The game is played on a square field, like a chess board. Each player, once the game starts, it placed on a random square, and one player gets the ball. Everyone also gets 2 ratings, which are inversely proportional, and should effect your play style quite a bit. The first is your Height rating, and the second is your dodge rating.

Each phase lasts 24 hours. In each phase, you must send in an action (PMing me, you can change it at any time). There are 3 different actions which everyone can do, as well as one which only the ball holder can do. The ball holder must throw the ball as their action, and along with this command they must choose a direction (they can throw it diagonally). If they choose not to send in an action the throw direction is randomized. The ball keeps going in that direction until it gets to a square with people on it. The other 3 actions are: run, set up, and idle. If you idle, you do not move from your current square.This causes your dodge rating to go up by 20% for that one turn, as well. If you run, you may run to an adjoining square (not diagonally). This means that your dodge rating does not change, and as such you are more likely to get hit by the ball if it is thrown to that square. Set up is an interesting aspect which we discovered while playing. If someone throws it over the targets head to a person behind him, he can catch it and slam it down on them from point blank range. As such, you can choose to set up and adjoining square or your own square, and if anyone is on the square and the ball is thrown there, you catch it and everyone on the square is out. However, if the ball is thrown there and no one is there, you are targeted instead and are out.

Movement, of course, is another key part of the game. With 2 of the 3 actions, you get to move, but at the end of the turn, only one person is allowed per space. The priority is like this:
  1. People who idle
  2. People who run
  3. People who set up
So people who idle stay on the space at the end of the turn in priority to other players. Tiebreaks within this system are settled by the rng, and people who are moved back are moved back to the space they were originally at before the turn. If someone new is occupying the space that you were standing on, you move to the nearest unoccupied space and your dodge rating decreases by 20% on the following turn. Also, no one can move to the square which the ball holder is standing on.

There is a way of deciding who gets hit, and this is decided, as you may have guessed, by the dodge and height rating. First off, there is always a 1/4 chance that no one is out when the ball is thrown, unless someone sets up. People with higher dodge ratings are less likely to get hit, and the tiebreaker if two people set up on the same square is the higher height rating, although again, there is a luck element to it. Everyone but the person who sets up or dodges it successfully on the square is out. If no one gets hit through the rng, the person directly in line with the path of the ball gets it. Otherwise the person who isnt out on the square gets it (if other people get out) or the person closest to the ball if its on an empty square gets it. Thats really all you need to know about how ratings work, though if you want more info on exactly how, you can find it in the spoilers.

If 2 people are in the same spot (one person ran onto a spot with another player, the chances that a player is hit goes as follows person who stayed’s rating * 1.2 : person who ran’s rating : ¼ the two added up. Total of all 3 divided by 100, multiplied by each of the individual numbers, is the chance of each person getting the ball (ie, the other people got hit). If the last one happens, neither player gets the ball, the person in the line of fire behind gets the ball (not out either).

Example:

Player A stays and has a rating of 5, Player B ran in and has a rating of 6, and player C ran in and has a rating of 4. 6+6+4=16. 16*1/4=4. 6+5*1.2+4+4=20. 100/20=5. 30% + 30% + 20% + 20% = 100%. If player A, B, or C’s percentage comes up, both the others are out.

The same ratio is used in the case of a set up "tie". If there are multiple people setting up and no one on the square, the height rating. is used, not the dodge rating.

There is one last aspect to the game, which is slightly minor, but needed. Because there will be extra squares as people get out, how many ever people get out on a turn, that many squares will be removed from the board, from the outermost uninhabited square inwards. If you are On a square which becomes an "island", with no spaces around it, your space dissapears and you are out. If no one gets out on a given turn, a square is still deducted if possible.

I think thats it, although any questions will be appreciated since I may have missed something. Also, any inconsistencies which are not caught before they come into play will end up in a randomized result. Hopefully that wont happen. Other rules include the general be respectful, etc.

A couple other things which you may want to know. Contact is not prohibited, and in fact encouraged. Inactivity, however, will lead to a sub out or god kill, and no action will result it an idle without the dodge boost of a normal idle. Send in an action even if you plan to idle. There will be a map of where each person is, but it wont show where they moved and how they got there. People's stats will be revealed after death and will be pm'd to you after the game begins.

Yeah, I hope thats it. Reading all of it is probably a good idea, although it is long.

Post "in" or anything else expressing your interest in playing to sign up. I will take subs though any amount of people can play. After the game starts subs will also be taken, though I can still god kill anyone without the chance of unbalancing factions like in mafia, so I'm happy about that.

Signups:
  1. Rainbowkit
  2. Sourcandy
  3. Jenna Rose
  4. Holo-chan
  5. Zhwoobattle
  6. Mijzelffan
  7. Transform
  8. Flame_
  9. Sgt. Pepper's
  10. Mariowie
  11. Jam King
  12. Synthesis
  13. Flareth

current map:
(red ball= ball=duh)
dodgeballpha.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Dodge ball free-for-all [signups]

INteresting.

Interesting concept. Count me in. (Although I have to point out, I suck at dodgeball.)

In please

This game is fintastic!

Complicated, but I'll manage.

Mijzelffan

I've looked over this twice, but i still dont quite understand it. Is it possible for the thrower to get out? and if so, what decides who catches it?

Interesting concept. Count me in. (Although I have to point out, I suck at dodgeball.)
Internetz dodgeball =/= IRL dodgeball. So you''l be fine. Maybe... >:]

I've looked over this twice, but i still dont quite understand it. Is it possible for the thrower to get out? and if so, what decides who catches it?

the thrower cannot get out when he throws it. The chance of anyone catching it is it in the spoilers. It depends on your dodge or height rating, which are inversely proportional and individually assigned to each player. The thrower becomes a normal person after he throws it, in that on the next turn, another person gets the ball. Remember that catching the ball doesn't mean that the thrower is out by any means.

Mmmm okay this looks intresting I will roll with this.

Anyone else interested? Dont let the daunting first post daunt you. Its not too complex.

Count me in, I love dodgeball (I read the rules, interesting concept)

Do you NEED 32 people...?

Not by a long shot, I just added that many slots so its easier to edit. I'm probably gonna wait another 2 or 3 days then start it.

last call... 14 hours or so left until I start this thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom