• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AG166, AG167 Titles Revealed

If this is a contest, Brock wont win. The writers are hardly going to pass up on the opportunity of May winning a ribbon for the expense of Brock who'll do nothing with it.

Or maybe they just have a regular battle. If that's the case then I, personally, would like to see Brock win but it'll probably be May.

Well according to Serebii he was suggesting that "from what he's read" it might be a contest where Brock will enter with his Bonsly.

Why would Brock enter a contest? That sounds extremely pointless.

Assuming a normal battle it is, Brock should so totally 0wn May. There wouldn't really be an excuse for May to beat an ex-Gym Leader that's been training Pokemon longer than she's been eating hot dinners.

"The Skyscraper's Red Inazuma!"
I had a lot of trouble translating this one, so I apologize in advance if any of this is incorrect.

While going through Komoda City, Satoshi and his friends hear about "The Red Inazuma," a person who wears a cloak and is said to perform pokemon techniques himself. Even though he can use pokemon attacks and speak human language, "The Red Inazuma" seems to be frightened of being around people.

"The Big Number One! Haruka vs. Takeshi!!"
Haruka is going to pariticpate in the Aberia Pokemon Contest. After deciding to use her Eevee in the Contest, Haruka waits for the day of the convention. However, after a Pokemon Breeder named Yuza praises Takeshi's Usohachi, he decides to enter the Contest as well.

Note: The Breeder from Scissor Street (named Susie in the dub) is named Yuki, not Yuza.

Doctor Oak said:
Why would Brock enter a contest? That sounds extremely pointless.
Hey, its got more of a point to it than anything else he's done these past 4 or so years :p

Assuming a normal battle it is, Brock should so totally 0wn May. There wouldn't really be an excuse for May to beat an ex-Gym Leader that's been training Pokemon longer than she's been eating hot dinners.
Then again, none of Brock's current pokémon have actually had any real training anyway.
And though I don't like to admit it, May isn't exactly the most inept trainer from Hoenn. So I'd say the balls in her court, regardless of how long Brock was a gym leader.

Well if it's a contest then May will probably win since the writers seem to be rushing with everyone else. Though it's nice to see Brock get at least part of the spotlight for once.

Doctor Oak said:

Lol, Brock would not "totally own" May even in a normal battle. I think you need to start looking at May's wins before stating he'd win just because he's older and a Gym leader.

May has beaten a:

Medicham, Dusclops, Ampharmos, Grumpig, Cacturne, Jynx, Houndoom, Vileplume, Banette, Ariados, Suskrit, Vibrava, and many other strong evolved Pokemon.

Brock barely battles, May is constantly training with her Pokemon and winning matches. She came in the Top 8th in the Grand Festival, she's a battler that has even given Ash a run for his money.

Especially if Brock is using Bonsly, then she should have no problem beating him. May is an experienced coordinator with tons of battling experience, Brock has no coordinator experience and his battle skills have been questionable since Johto.

Then again since this is a Contest and Brock has no use for a ribbon, it's obvious that May will win.

Gotta love the anti-May bias on Bulbagarden, it never fails.

EDIT: But yes, I am THRILLED that Brock is entering a Contest. Thank god he finally got another episode of spotlight. I was afraid the writers would forget about him and confine him to the backround for the rest of the BF arc.

Last edited:
Roses Ablaze said:
Well if it's a contest then May will probably win since the writers seem to be rushing with everyone else. Though it's nice to see Brock get at least part of the spotlight for once.

I hope this is not their way of giving Brock the spotlight for a while until he departs. Cos i'm sure they could have done it earlier on but why now?.

If Brock wins, he'll probably give May the Ribbon anyway... haha.

Think about it, it seems like Brock isn't entering for a Ribbon. Looks like he's just entering the Contest to impress the breeder, he's not going to start collecting Ribbons. It would be funny if he did, but it just seems way too late for that. That'd actually make a cool plot twist, even though it would be the first time a Contest Ribbon was received the way one of the Kanto Badges were. It'd still be funny if Brock won and May got to keep the Ribbon anyway, since Brock has no use for it.

Then again, he could really tick her off and give it to some random girl he tries to pimp instead of one of his best friends, after all May is his opponent and the one who'd have lost to him so it would be kind of awkward for him to give it to her.

And... a person who can use Pokemon techniques? 10 bucks says this guy is either hiding something like that Pelipper in AG10, or he's a really smart Pokemon himself that can somehow disguise itself to look like a human and can talk, kind of like that Gastly at Maiden's Peak, or the Lati's.

~Zak

Brock seems to have training battles with Ash regularly. And what anti-May bias?

Anyway, these episodes look interesting. When I first saw the title I thought Brock would be in with a good chance, but since it is a contest it looks like May will win. It's still a nice twist to see Brock enter a contest, though.

Would May accept the ribbon if Brock gave it to her though?

Knowing May, like Ash, they'd rather "earn" their Badges/Ribbons. I don't think May would take the easy way out and accept a ribbon she didn't win.

Wow! I'm looking forward to this contest episode, it'll be interesting to see one of the other main characters other than May actually taking part in a contest, but whether May wins or Brock wins, chances are May will end up with the ribbon at the end of the episode. I'm pretty sure May will most likely win though, even though it would be nice to see Brock win but I don't think I'd like May to get the badge by Brock just giving it to her, that always bugged me when gym leaders used to do similar things for Ash rather than him actually winning it X___X;

Either way, both May and Brock are my two fav characters out of the main group at the moment so seeing them go head to head in a contest is certainly something I'm looking forward too~!

Ferris Bueller said:
or he's a really smart Pokemon himself that can somehow disguise itself to look like a human and can talk, kind of like that Gastly at Maiden's Peak, or the Lati's.

Now that you mention it, didn't that thread about the TCG predicting evos and possible captures have a card scan with the Lati@s? It could perfectly be one of them, especially Latias, since the colour red was mentioned.

I could be wrong, but hey, we've seen Articuno, Arcanine and Celebi in this saga, so why wouldn't another legendary appear?

Scott85 said:
Gotta love the anti-May bias on Bulbagarden, it never fails.
And gotta love the one million times you've said this. *rolls eyes* Get over it, not everybody likes your precious May.

But that's not the point Kasumi, liking a character and going by battle ability are two different things. ;)

Seems like they chose the two baby Pokemon to battle, Eevee against Bonsly. If Eevee were going up against either Foretress or Marshtompt, Brock would probably win since it's a baby that just hatched. Likewise if May were using her other Pokemon, she'd win by skill alone.

But since it's Bonsly, Eevee with Shadow Ball will be enough.

It's not going to be as simple as that. Brock will put up a good fight.

For the love of a woman, of course he'll put up a good fight! :eek:

Assuming the breeder is a woman of course...

Scott85 said:
But that's not the point Kasumi, liking a character and going by battle ability are two different things. ;)

Then you are contradicting yourself, since what Doctor Oak said was only that May wouldn't stand a chance vs Brock in a normal pokémon battle. He never mentioned something about NOT liking May.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom