• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW068: Fukiyose Gym! VS Huuro, A Decisive Air Battle!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Fukiyose Gym! VS Fuuro, A Decisive Air Battle!!

Animation - Team Kato
Screenplay - Junki Takegami
Storyboard - Yūji Asada
Assistant director - Yūji Asada
Animation director - Masaaki Iwane

Satoshi's battle with the Gym Leader Fuuro begins! Fuuro battles with Kenhorou, Kokoromori, and Swanna while Satoshi fights with Hatoboh, Pikachu, and Waruvil. In the middle of the battle, Satoshi's Hatoboh begins to glow...

I was DYING for this day... No complains what so ever ignoring all the unnecessary Pikachu focus

Kenhallow was SOOOO BADASS :D Aerial Ace... Obviously

I actually said "Is that it?" out loud when Krokorok went down. Christ, I've become such a nerd.

The aerial portions of the battle were really well animated. Lots of different camera angles that rarely, if ever, get used and lots of energy behind the movement. If this didn't have Iwane behind it, I'm not sure if I'd have really liked this one, but as it stands, I'll definately be rewatching this a fair amount. Christ, I've become such a nerd!

There is something wrong about this pigeon... xD
dat1330597278161.jpg

Did anybody catch what the attack was when Tranquil's wings were glowing white against Swoobat??

Probably just Gust.

Oh, and Aerial Ace again? After Ohsubame and Mukuhawk knew it, I really thought Kenhallow would get a different move to change things up. I would have loved to have seen it get Sky Attack since Satoshi has never had a Pokemon know that move (well, apart from Yorunozuku in the Suzuran Conference) and it works on the same prinicipal... but nope, the writers are proving just how unimaginative they are.

I'm kinda ticked off that Kenhallow just picked it up out of the blue as well. Remember how hard Satoshi trained Ohsubame and Mukkuru to use it? None of that here... but to be fair, Best Wishes has barely shown Satoshi training his Pokemon at all. If I didn't know better, I'd say he's relying to blind luck to get him through these days (and to be honest, the way he is now I wouldn't expect him to get through the Isshu League preliminaries).

It's a shame that SG Krokorok had to be the fall guy. Naturally SG Krokorok had a type advantage over Swoobat, but at least it wasn't Pikachu who got the revenge win. If it were not for Tranquill evolving, I'd have to say that Pikachu got the majority of the screentime and focus in this episode. Pikachu's battles against the male Tranquill and Swanna took at least three or four minutes each to resolve. Tranquill's evolution during its battle against Swanna was expected, but I am disappointed that Unfezant learned Aerial Ace, a flying-type attack that has been replicated by three of Ash's other pokemon over the course of his entire journey.

Well, at least Gust and Air Cutter provide Unfezant with some unique niche as one of Ash's flying-type pokemon.

Overall, the battle was average. It wasn't too great but it didn't end up a pacing disaster like last week's gym battle.

I'm surprised that Krokorok went down to swoobat. Really? come on, the croc should of done a lot better than that.

I didn't expect Krokorok to go down easily, too, especially since it was being used in an unconventional manner. Exhaustion? Really? The Pika that....oh, that's right, continuity's been borked. Unfezant looked almost like Articuno while evolving. This was better than the past few gyms, but still a little predictable.

Unfortunately I overslept, so I missed the episode...
Which one was it that ended the match? Pikachu or Unfezant?

Unfortunately I overslept, so I missed the episode...
Which one was it that ended the match? Pikachu or Unfezant?

Tranquill/Unfezant VS Swanna was the last battle in the match. Pikachu defeated Skyla's Unfezant, but he lost to Swanna. Tranquill was the last pokemon Ash had on him, since Krokorok was KO'd by Swoobat during the first battle of the match, but she was exhausted after she defeated Swoobat and battled Skyla's Unfezant.

Wow Dent's optimism is amazing. He recovered quickly from his loss against Fuuro (after being overconfident he would win and change her views) it's like nothing even happened. Or maybe it's because Dent had a lot of confidence in Satoshi's skills, like always.

About time we saw Hatohboh/Kenhallow in a major battle again and not only that but she got two wins. I hope Satoshi starts using her more from now on, usually non-starters and Pikachu get more screen time once they reach their final evolved form. Usually. The only exception is Zuruggu who has been getting decent screen time. Yeah, Kenhallow needs more love after getting two wins.

So we still don't know what her ability is...that's probably about the only thing about this episode that disapoints me.

Please don't say it has Super Luck due to the promo Pidove either, games=/=anime and until we get a confirmation IN THE SHOW, we don't know what it is.

As far as the battle itself, better than Winona, worse than Falkner.

Krokorok should have lasted longer than that. It had Dark typing against Swoobat's Psychic typing, AND knew Stone Edge. Still, I'm glad Tranquill evolved and Pikachu didn't steal the whole battle. =)

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom