• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Title: BW090: ジュニアカップ開幕!カイリューVSツンベアー!!
Translation: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tunbear!!
Airing on: August 2, 2012

There will be a break on August 9 instead.

Staff:
Screenplay: Junki Takegami
Storyboard: Fumihiro Yoshimura
Assistant director: Fumihiro Yoshimura
Animation director: Takashi Shinohara

Summary:
Finally, the "Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup" has kicked off. Instead of the conference's highlight, the exhibition match, the first round begins. Iris's Kairyu's opponent is the Tunbear that Dragon Buster Langley sent out....

Last edited:
Re: BW090: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tsunbear!!

I'll be the first to shudder at what Kairyu in the title could mean.

Junior Cup already? damn that's fast.

So I guess this confirms that Kairyu is Iris's. At least I assume.

Another Tsunbear/Beartic. Two episode of its pre evolution. Wait. Tsunbear...Langley.....Oh god. OH GOD. Iris vs Langley. Calling it.

Storyboard: Fumihiro Yoshimura
Assistant director: Fumihiro Yoshimura
Animation director: Takashi Shinohara

inb4 bomb of Iris bashing

No, but seriously, I really don't like the idea of Iris getting Dragonite at all, and I must say that I was quite disappointed when I was told about it. It's just not... right. Hopefully it won't be anything that will stick with her forever, maybe it's just a temporary capture or something (please).

Now, I do not at all hate Dragonite as a Pokémon, in fact it's one of my favorites, although seeing Iris getting such a powerful Pokémon just like that is just the same thing as that time when Dawn received Togekiss. I'll be praying for Dragonite to at least have an interesting personality, and for it to not steal away focus from Axew. I've gotten the feeling that Iris has finally began to take Axew's training more seriously, and I really hope that this capture won't be the end of all that training.

Hm, I believe that I'll wait until the episode has actually aired before I make any stupid conclusions.

Now then, on the bright side, Langley might actually be in this tournament after all? Awesome! I was feeling really down when I didn't see her (or Burgundy) in the opening, but I guess they were only focusing on Ash's rivals in it? No matter, seeing her again might mean that Burgundy returns too, so I won't complain. Although seeing either her or Iris going out in the first round, in the first battle, really isn't an idea that I'm fond of. :/

Yes, the summary says that Dragonite belongs to Iris while Beartic is of course Georgia's.

Finally, the "Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup" has kicked off. Instead of the conference's highlight, the exhibition match, the first round begins. Iris's Kairyu's opponent is the Tunbear that Dragon Buster Langley sent out....

Summary!

No, but seriously, I really don't like the idea of Iris getting Dragonite at all, and I must say that I was quite disappointed when I was told about it. It's just not... right. Hopefully it won't be anything that will stick with her forever, maybe it's just a temporary capture or something (please).

Now, I do not at all hate Dragonite as a Pokémon, in fact it's one of my favorites, although seeing Iris getting such a powerful Pokémon just like that is just the same thing as that time when Dawn received Togekiss. I'll be praying for Dragonite to at least have an interesting personality, and for it to not steal away focus from Axew. I've gotten the feeling that Iris has finally began to take Axew's training more seriously, and I really hope that this capture won't be the end of all that training.
Agreeing with this SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. I don't know whether I should be excited or worried :/ WHERE THE FUCK IS IRIS' MONOZU?! UGH! IT'S TOGEKISS AND MAMOSWINE ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!

I really really really hope this is a temporary thing! Maybe Iris takes Kairyu with her in order to return it to its family or connect with its heart better or something? God, I hope this is temporary. THE LAST THING WE NEED IS A FUCKING KAIRYU STEALING AWAY KIBAGO'S SCREEN TIME!! Ononokusu should be Iris', Kibago should be facing off against Tsunbear! But, here we have KAIRYU doing that!! Ugh! I really do not like seeing Kairyu being captured, I hope it's just an extreme extreme "Lapras" situation or "Nyasu" thing. Here we have Kibago facing off against Shirona for training and the writers give him the middle-finger. I like Kairyu, but hot diggity-damn.

Kairyu probably is gonna end up getting its shit wrecked by doubly super effective Tsunbear, Langley said she wants to "bust" Dragons. There's one right there. Of course that would mean Kibago not getting a win at the WT ;________;

Kibago or Doryuuzu should be fighting Tsunbear. :/

EDIT:Wait......Kairyu...is just Iris' partner? :/

Last edited:

One of the reasons why I am disappointed. It's not that I don't like Iris but the writers are being unbelievably unfair. And yeah, it is 'Togekiss' all over again. D8

Summary!

so there's no Exhibition match?

Title: BW090: ジュニアカップ開幕!カイリューVSツンベアー!!
Translation: The Junior Cup Gets Underway! Kairyu VS Tsunbear!!

And we all know that Junki Takegami can't write battles for s***... That, and the fact that Iris catches a Dragonite one episode prior to the tournament, which is worse than Dawn's Togekiss, who at least got a training session and didn't win the GF trophy for Dawn in its first battle.

Goodness me, where are the glory days of Sinnoh, when Atsuhiro Tomioka was charged with almost all the important stuff (heck, he wrote all the Wallace Cup episodes!) and was an ACTUAL head writer of the series!? Yeah, not getting my hopes up for this episode. I would accept if Shinzo Fujita wrote this one, as his battles are usually good as well, but as it stands... my expectations are at minimum. The only thing he can succeed is the character interactions and a bit of story.

Let's see how long this tournament will last... around 3-5 episodes, I guess?

Last edited:

Summary!

so there's no Exhibition match?

Apparently not, with the first round starting straight away instead.

Ugh, did I jinx it?

*does not understand the writers' thought processes*

Like, is this a thing now? Where the main female gets a fully-evolved powerful Pokemon right before a major tournament? I wonder what jacked up reasoning they'll give for Iris obtaining Dragonite. Maybe Iris and Dawn will bond over the fact that they both caught strong Pokemon before participating in something like this. And shouldn't she at least TRAIN the thing before using it in this tournament? Come on, writers, you've got to get your shit together. :eek:hdear:

Yes, the summary says that Dragonite belongs to Iris while Beartic is of course Georgia's.
I can't describe in words the ball of rage at this sentence. That's the end of it, I can't be positive in any way about Iris as a character (I do try not to hate her, I really do), there is no redeeming her from here - you can't hand someone struggling to be a dragon master by raising one Axew, a Dragonite. It totally ruins any chance at her achieving her goal through hard work, and yet again pegs her way above Ash and Cilan in power for no good reason.

Ash goes around and does some hard work in collecting Gym badges, yet Iris gets everything handed to her with no effort whatsoever. It's not like it is going to be like Charizard, Iris has that glowy bond thing with it, and if it's temporary, it still means that somehow Iris has the ability to command fully evolved dragons as normal, which means she's a dragon master, she can master the use of dragon Pokemon.

Adding to that, it presumably confirms this will be a one on one tournament, so does that mean Iris will go through the whole thing with Dragonite, not needing to rely on her other Pokemon. So who of Ash's Pokemon could he enter this with knowing Iris just caught a Dragonie, how could anyone else win this competition? Even Stephan's Sawk isn't going to be powerful enough. Trip could have a Vanilluxe, but then why face Georgia in the first round?

So just as Ash should finally be getting on track strength wise for the league, the writers pull this out. Terrible. Couldn't we just have 3 months of filler before the league instead?

I could see Iris losing here with her first battle with the Dragonite.

I'm happy Iris was given Dragonite but I feel like the only reason it was given to her was to help her defeat Drayden.. given that Excadrill is probably the only one that is capable of doing so.

Holy shit....just when I thought Iris' character couldn't get any worse. They writers actually pulled it off.

Excellent job writers. Really.

Just when I think I couldn't dislike Iris anymore, something like this has to happen. And just like that, I've lost a lot of interest in this tournament.

Well, it's good that two rivals are finally battling each other again, but it's going to be impossible to take an interest if Iris isn't even going to use her own Pokemon. More than ever, I'm hoping type advantages come into play, very few Dragon/Flying types would stand a chance of defeating a strong Ice-type like Beartic, even one of Dragonite's caliber. A quick and early loss is exactly what Iris deserves for taking the lazy man's route.

Last edited:

I could see Iris losing here with her first battle with the Dragonite.

I can see that too, actually. A part of me says that it would be good having her lose with her Dragonite, as that loss would establish Dragonite's strength, showing that it really isn't unbeatable and too strong, and that Iris still has a lot of work to do with it. Although, having her lose would also mean that neither Axew or Emolga will actually get the chance to battle in the tournament, which I'm really hoping for to see. So, I feel rather mixed.

If Iris would win, I'd prefer it to be the way Excadrill beat Scolipede. Iris didn't have a single word in the battle, but Excadrill completely annihilated Scolipede all by itself. If Dragonite took on the battle against Beartic completely by itself and ignoring Iris' commands completely the victory actually would've been alright, as it would show that Dragonite yet isn't considering Iris to be a fitting trainer, and that she still has a lot of work to do with it. Then, Iris could move on in the tournament by using her other Pokémon? If that would happen, I'd be perfectly alright.

Supposedly it'd seem that this tournament will only require the trainers to use one Pokémon each... That's.. disappointing. I mean, how will be able to see the truly stronger trainers if the battles will only be 1v1?

LOL, I didn't even know Georgia wasn't even in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom