• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New interview with Tsunekazu Ishihara! Interesting details revealed...

jro925

Reaction score
"The September 15th 2006 issue of Famitsu Weekly features an interview about the upcoming Pokemon Diamond and Pearl with former Company Director of Creatures, Tsunekazu Ishihara. Ishihara is also known as the father of the Pokemon series who now works with Satoshi Tajiri from Game Freaks."

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/578-Famitsu_Pokemon_Interview_Translation.html

Compared to the Red and Green versions, there are a greater number of Pokemon appearing in these new titles so I want people to be able to collect them all. Red and Green had 151 Pokemon while in Gold and Silver 100 more were added and following that, Ruby and Sapphire ended up with more than 380 different Pokemon. This time I'm planning to include even more Pokemon in these new titles. Starting out with new Pokemon, you'll be able to give old Pokemon a variety of evolutions by using the wireless link feature a lot. One moment you might be wondering, "Can this one evolve?" but then the next moment you'll find yourself surprised and saying, "So that's how you evolve it!"

I thought this was interesting and worth bringing up for discussion. From the sounds of it, Diamond and Pearl are going to introduce at least 150 brand new Pokemon. There's also mention of various new evolutions for older Pokemon, so the chances of more existing, aside from those revealed, are high.

I'm all for the introduction of a large number of new Pokemon. More than even the first generation introduced. Here's hoping for a number closer to 200 if not 200.

Seems you have to trade to evolve alot....hope they evolve when trading over WiFi as well.

Yeah from this it sounds like they're going to go like up to or past 550. It's nice to know that we'll be getting alot but the thing is the way it was said makes it sound like some things may be getting like 2 and even maybe like 3 evolutions in this. Just think, Elecable may not be the only evolution of Electabuzz in this game. The tradeing may end up getting annoying but it was kind of forseen since whenever they inntroduce alternate evolutions theyh never do it by level.

I think it is pretty cool, and I'm sure some evos will be by items as well.

I wouldn't be surprised, like Roselia, if Pokemon get pre-evos AND evos.

AIPOM EVO!

This is going to screw over the poor children in fandom-less Indiana without high speed internet connections... (Neku)

Huzzah! Maybe they'll see sense, and make a Farfetch'd evo.
And, FOR THE LOVE OF PIZZA AND SODA, NO MORE PREVOS!
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I don't mind if we get some babies of some illogically big Pokemon (Onix and Lapras should)

A baby Tropius might be welcome.
Oooh. Maybe Subomi can only be bred using a female Rozereido.
That might be interesting.
If this is on the level, they better have a ton of Pokemon with new type combinations, because the new ten didn't satisfy that at all.
Right now, we only have two new type combos:
Fighting/Steel.
Dragon/Steel.
MORE! NOW!
Also, I demand these evos:
Mawile
Sableye
Pinsir
Farfetch'd
Tangela
If they do not comply, they may expect raving hordes of demon squirrels to attack their base. Then all their base will belong to me.

Anyone still doubting Aipom will get an evo is just stubborn.

This is going to screw over the poor children in fandom-less Indiana without high speed internet connections... (Neku)

I feel your pain.

Anyone still doubting Aipom will get an evo is just stubborn.

Agreed.

Now the question is, where's that damn dolphin Pokemon I've been waiting 3 generations for? They got the parrot and the otter . . .

I thought Latias and Latios were part dolphin (in design, like part jet, dragon, and dolphin).

Hopefully we do get them, and they come in schools that migrate. (Pokemon Migration please!!) I also want a sea-turtle! A Leamur would be nice, for more monkey viraity. Swans and geese would be nice too!

Also I really want these pokemon to evolve:
Stabyle
Farfeth'd
Aipom
Sandshash would be cool to see
Plus Heracross and Pinser should evolve by now:

I also want to see a Dark and Bug type, as with psychic and bug, and bug and fire. Then they should just do more weird combinations also. I really can't wait!

Aw, crud. Three new type combos, then.
Still isn't much, though.
Plus Heracross and Pinser should evolve by now:
Heracross is and will likely continue to be the strongest Bug.
Giving it an evo would be insane, and it would be as powerful as Slaking.

Nope, sorry.

Korobooshi is the strongest bug.

Hehe, unfortunately for you Korobooshi is pretty much confirmed to be an early bug so its evolution has base stats of around 385 (like Butterfree/Beedrill/Beautifly/Dustox) or at most 450-ish (like Ninjask) but nowhere near Heracross's or Scizor's (500)

Hehe, unfortunately for you Korobooshi is pretty much confirmed to be an early bug so its evolution has base stats of around 385 (like Butterfree/Beedrill/Beautifly/Dustox) or at most 450-ish (like Ninjask) but nowhere near Heracross's or Scizor's (500)

It's not a cocoon bug, though. I'd place its base stats around Ledian or Spinarak - for it's evolution if it has one, for itself if it doesn't.

As long as I get my Aipom evo and my Tangela preevo with some Special attacks, I'm happy.

You know what would really be surprising and interesting for evolution in this game...

If after you completed the Shinou Pokedex to get the national dex, many (like 10-30) of the old monsters not avaliable, but traded from older games, had annother evolution that was recieved when caught in the Safari Zone or another method. Like a Secret Evolution.

Also Baby legendaries also would be interesting. Pair two related legendaries with a very rare item (like the level of Sacred Ash, or maybe a Master ball) or promo item to get them to breed a hidden baby legendary. It could be brought up in the game by doing it with Lucario as the first example (like the Red Gyrados in GS).

Those type of surprises would be incredibly shocking for this game, or any pokemon game!

Back
Top Bottom