• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Generation VI Global Link

The Pokémon Global Link for Generation V games will be shutting down on Jan. 14, 2014. Services will be phased out starting after the October 2013 maintenance. It will be replaced by a Pokémon Global Link for Pokémon X and Y.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

I hope the X & Y Global Link is better.

I am tired of the 1 hour time limits, the forced tutorial everytime I connect, etc.

Re: Global Link for Generation V games to shut down Jan. 14: To be replaced by Genera

Nooo... There goes the berry system of BW! What a PITA.

In the other hand I won't be tempted to wait the terribly long time it takes to tuck in anymore. I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :(

Nooo... There goes the berry system of BW! What a PITA.

In the other hand I won't be tempted to wait the terribly long time it takes to tuck in anymore. I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :(

They didn't say they'd be a DW, just global link right? We'll see anyway

I knew this day would come eventually, now to choose what C-gear skin to be permanently stuck with...

They're a few things exclusive to the DW in Gen5 people should be aware of. These are the Micle/Custap/Jabocca/Rowap berries (though technically Custap is also available from an event), as well as DWfs and exclusive moves for Pokémon - someone should write a list.

ETA: I've started a list, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah_pCdhtcZFKdFcwcGdjelp5bC1NVURqY2pGbXNrYkE#gid=0, PM me if you wanna help with it.

Last edited:

I am tired of the 1 hour time limits, the forced tutorial everytime I connect, etc.
The tutorial is cookie-based. If you have done the tutorial in that browser on that computer before, then you won't have to do it again. If you're being forced to repeatedly do it, it means you don't have cookies enabled.

The Dream World is part of the Global Link. It's going too.

They're a few things exclusive to the DW in Gen5 people should be aware of. These are the Micle/Custap/Jabocca/Rowap berries (though technically Custap is also available from an event), as well as DWfs and exclusive moves for Pokémon - someone should write a list.

ETA: I've started a list, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah_pCdhtcZFKdFcwcGdjelp5bC1NVURqY2pGbXNrYkE#gid=0, PM me if you wanna help with it.

Ah, I hadn't realized there were exclusive medals... I don't think I have enough days left to get the 100 Pokemon met though.

Also, I think that page would be better suited to a Bulbapedia userpage (I was going to make one there). First I was going to make a list for myself though.

Yeah...I was fearing this heavily. It wouldn't be much of a problem if the Generation V games didn't rely on the Dream World so much. Any newcomer to the Generation V games (of course there still will be despite the DS suffering from obsolescence) will be paying for a game that no longer even has all its features. If X and Y have all these Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities available again, it won't be as bad, but the Ranked Mode for Random Matchup, and the customization will still be missed.

Also, I think that page would be better suited to a Bulbapedia userpage (I was going to make one there). First I was going to make a list for myself though.

Yeah that would be better, I dunno how to make fancy Bulbapedia tables though....

162 days between now and December 10th, even with maintenance that should be enough time if you were really committed to going on most days. The 20hour wait means that you won't lose days like before when the 24hr requirement pushed your DW window by an hour everday.

So basically, we'll be locked into whatever skin settings we have from January? Bah.

I had a feeling they were keeping the Global Link though. Seemed like such an expensive endeavour for a 3 year run.

And here lies the flaw in forcing our berries to be grown online.

Is it so hard to let us keep playing with BW's Global Link? I'd rather they not even create a new one for XY given we know the inevitable will happen.

All I know is that berries better not be reliant on this crap anymore.

The Dream World is part of the Global Link. It's going too.

I was replying to the quote "I'm sad to know Dream World will exist in Gen VI, it's very boring and because of the dependence to get some things... :("

Is it so hard to let us keep playing with BW's Global Link? I'd rather they not even create a new one for XY given we know the inevitable will happen.

I hope that, with Gen V being taken offline, they at least let us one of your Dream Isles with XY. I mean, all those berries spent on making our homes look pretty with dolls and stuff...gone.

Heck, all those different C-Gear skins and stuff...gone. I wish there was at least an offline place where they could be changed in-game.

I'd love if they brought back the Berry Pots in X & Y, it was just much easier and convenient to keep track of your berries.

from a programming standpoint it should not be hard at all to integrate VI into the current GL. All it is is one big database with some features and games based on it, so that's just some more databases and some restrictions.
If there however is no dreamworld in X&Y it would be ugly from a design perspective: if X&Y comes with its own online mechanic ur gonna have 2 of them and if the next game comes with another... etc. things just get messy and confusing u could make different sites for different games but then u are separating ur user-base.
But what most likely plays the biggest role in this is the corporate side of it, they want u to buy the new game and more importantly the new system it runs on and this is one of the ways to push people towards that. I think at most u will see some stuff carry over but even that i think is highly unlikely.

Last edited:

Welp, time to invest in an Action Replay so I have a way to get berries after this. :p

Be a shame not to be able to get certain berries and DWF on Gen V anymore but things have to move on. Plus I'll keep a bunch on Gen 5 as backups anyway.

Having been playing Animal Crossing and various other 3ds games I can see how a 3ds pokemon game would not really need a pc based Global Link. They could easily tie into actual seasons, have wifi shops in game with promotional items. Even dlc content areas for event pokemon, play coin stuff and visiting other peoples games in a way thats better than just a wifi trade area room and entree link games.

...I knew I should have brought all the berries from the Dream World to the game when I had the chance ;_;. Since most of my doll collections were free distributions, not much berries wasted.

But I did buy the Gardevoir doll and the Castform doll ;_; I liek them.

I like my Pokedex as Cheren's, so no real complaints here. At least it's a gift from Cheren to me... XDD.

...gah, those berries........

I should transfer all the berries over as soon as possible. Thank goodness... I grew plenty of Micle berries enough to make a fortune. Hopefully, there will be some form of berry cultivating system so I can grow them in XY.

Welp, time to invest in an Action Replay so I have a way to get berries after this. :p

People shouldn't have to cheat to get berries...The Pokemon Company's mentality is that now that a new generation is abroad, screw the previous games! They're "old," and in-game features don't matter when compared to their server maintenance expenses. I mean, seriously, as a result of this, you're forced to cheat to play Random Matchup with DW Pokemon or get berries.

I'd love if they brought back the Berry Pots in X & Y, it was just much easier and convenient to keep track of your berries.

I'd rather not be limited to such a small amount. Give us greenhouses or something.

I'd rather not be limited to such a small amount. Give us greenhouses or something.
They could make a whole pseudo-minigame based around Berry farming like in the Dream World, just in XY. Some guy gives you his farm (like those crazy people who let you manage the Safari Zone and Join Avenue or have a Villa), and you expand it and grow Berries there.

I agree that the amount of berries that could be planted was low, my thing was that I just liked having the berries with me at all times.

On your greenhouse idea that actually sounds cool and I wouldn't be opposed to it, Pokémon Black did have greenhouses in Mistralton City (though not usable).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom