• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP37: The Journalist from Another Region!

As much as I hate Iris' "What a kid!" line, there were a few times when she could've legitimately chewed Ash out in this ep. Starting with him picking that fight with a Helioptile who was clearly scared witless. Real nice, Ass Ketchum.

At least the idea of a Pokémon Journalist is pretty credible. Kinda the Pokémon version of a nature documentarian. Too bad we've never seen PokeNatGeo before. Maybe in Kalos...

Anyone who's read my posts may know how much I like continuity, so I'm glad Ash mentioned having taken part in PokeSumo before. As I recall, though, they had a minimum weight limit back then, so a munchkin like Pansage would've never gotten in.

Now I see that Our Gang's blindness is selective--Cilan notices that something's off with Golemeowth, but doesn't see Jessie's visible-from-Earth-orbit hair. (It's like the Great Wall of China, but much more obnoxious.) And apparently, no one comments on the TRio getting blasted off again.

So the sumo competition is based on a legend about fighting over food that destroyed the land, which was ended when a little boy suggested they share. Ash and What's-His-Face started their fighting over food, so I guess it was appropriate for them to end it by sharing.

ALEXA HAS JOINED YOUR PARTY!

Oh yeah, the other opening without Cilan and-

OMG GOGOAT’S EPISODE!! :D

Aww, Helioptile is so cute!! And powerful.

GOGOAT! GOGOAT! Why are we supposing and Pokedexing when she just said GOGOAT was another Pokémon from her region? GOGOAT’S so swag.

Where the hell did she find so many Grotle?

I don’t know that I’d read Alexa’s magazine…=~= It seems…boring. Is it just a nature magazine?

But anyway, Pokémon wrestling.

Focus Band is garbage, never works =~= Don’t bother with it.

Are you kidding me? All these big ass Pokémon and Oshawott thinks he wants to enter? And then Ash chooses Pignite over Charizard or Krookodile?

PANSAGE?!!?! HELLO?!?!

And of course, they choose Meowth over Amoonguss. -3-

Ooooh, movie and XY Promos! *^*

Who is this fatass?! Ash is right, this man needs his ass kicked. Now, if it was Iris, she would have started a fight instead of just acting like it was childish.

Yep, that Golem seems legit. Why are all of the opponents so huge?! I mean, like, bigger than they should be…maybe it’s just me…

…Oh…Meowth lost already? Soooo….WHY WERE THEY IN THIS EPISODE?!

Iris can’t get a break from these Beartic. And how come Iris didn’t have any post-traumatic-stress-disorder from seeing this it?

Well, Cilan lost. I guess in Cilan’s defense he doesn’t have many suitable Pokémon for this, but come on, Pansage?

There’s no way Pignite should be winning so much. He’s so much smaller than all of these Pokémon. It just feels like they’re letting
Ash win. Why didn’t he pick Charizard, dammit?

And somehow he won and Oshawott’s here again.

And he won a grand prize of Focus Band that’s permanently in that position. What if he wants to put it on something smaller? Who cares if it looks awesome, it’s useless. Actually, after this tournament, it may work all the time for Ash.

WHY WOULD HE GIVE THAT FATASS ANYTHING?! Damn you, Morrison. And Ash for being so nice.

…Anyone else feel Alexa wasn’t even much in this episode? Or her awesome Gogoat.

Well, there isn’t much to say here. I’ll give it a 7/10. Team Rocket didn't need to be involved considering how insignificant they are compared to all of their other useless appearances. Alexa seemed to be a bit shafted, but since she’s coming back, I guess it isn’t too much of a problem. And Purple-haired Morrison’s an ass.

Okay, its Kalos time. Well, not really, but we’ve got some of the new Pokes around. Nice.

Okay, so apples are back to being called berries again. And we’ve got a sumo competition. But seriously, that legend for the sumo competition was just really dumb, imo.

Ash: “Really, I can enter?” Why the hell wouldn’t you be able to enter?

Iris: “You don’t mind if I enter do you.” Mind? Who cares? He can’t stop you from entering.

Really, Ash? You chose Pignite. Not Charizard? I can’t even.

Iris: “I don’t think you're up for this.” (Or something along those lines) I really hope Iris wasn’t even contemplating on entering Axew and only said that to make him feel better.

And Cilan chose Pansage; probably out of default since he’s the only Pokemon he has with hands.

Ash: “Wow that Golurk is huge.” Wow, you mean like ALL Golurk. Okay, is it just me or does Rodney sound totally like Morrison. Kinda reminds me of him too.

What the hell is wrong with Iris? All Ash wanted to do was pet Helioptile. Then she wants to start yelling at him. Even if Heleoptile was scared, why the hell is she yelling? Seriously, Iris is just giving me more and more reasons to hate her.

Damn, Ash sure can hold a grudge about pie. And Team Rocket is useless. Moving on.

This episode just reminds me of how much it sucks that Pansage hasn’t evolved. Really, he mostly just acts like dead weight these days.

So Ash wins the sumo competition against Rodney, as expected. And he gives Pignite a focus band that’ll probably never be seen again. The only question I really have is…Why the hell was Oshawott in this episode!

Ok, Alexa did nothing in this episode. I mean seriously, all she did was talk about her magazine and the festival in the beginning and just film throughout the rest before mentioning at the end that (coincidence) she’s on the same boat as Ash and the gang.

All, in all, a good episode. Not all that much positive to say, but not much negative either. Would have liked to see more of the new Pokemon, though. 7/10.

This episode was good for me, but I don't remember which Pokémon was feature in US and international vesion of "Who's That Pokémon?". It's Ursaring and it got its Japanese voice! Interesting. Anyway, this PokeSumo was so interesting, and Meowth as a Golem was not a good idea at all. Hariyama beating Pansage so easily was very funny. Dragonite disqualificated due of breaking a rule, not letting a Beartic win? How shame. Why did Ash chose a Pignite? He should choose a Charizard or a Scraggy, but a Pignite? Alexa joins to Ash's group, yay! I'm giving 8/10 for this episode and for Alexa for not doing nothing but making a debut in this episode with Helioptile and Gogoat.

Last edited:
I wish we had an actual Usaring vs Beartic episode instead of just wasting it on a flashback here. Decent episode overall especially with the Kalos references.

It was nice to see some Gen VI critters, I guess. Weird how once Ash and purple-haired Morrison start fighting, they start complimenting each other profusely because apparently every single other person they fought sucked. If Rodney is busting a nut over BW Ash being strong, the other people he fought must be really weak.

The only question I really have is…Why the hell was Oshawott in this episode!

There is nothing without Moneymaru. His comic relief makes us all better people.

I really liked this episode. Something about Sumo wrestling that really makes me like any Pokemon episode having a sumo tournament.
Alexa sure was amusing, always scrambling around looking for things. I'm glad Pignite won the tournament and Ash shared all of the Fruit/berries with everyone.

The best part I liked was Pignite throwing that large Golurk :-D

Did Cartoon Network air any promos for the Genesect Movie or Pokémon the Series: XY during today's episode since they're both airing next week?

I LOVED THIS EPISODE SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! I really just think it was Great!

The Voice Acting Fantastic! The English Writing was Good! And I really found Nothing Wrong with this Episode.

Whoever Voiced Alexa was REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD. She Sounded like she was having Fun.

I Liked the Pokemon Sumo back in Johto and this one was also good I Think. Pignite Wins Over a Slaking who is Sleeping LOL FTW AND ROFL SCENE. Pignite was Cute and a BadAss in this Episode and VERY WEIRD that Ash was Able to Hold Pignite. Oshawott, Was just Funny as Ever.

Rodney was a Meh Character but NOT Terrible. Sean Schemmel Voiced him and HAD THE SAME EXACT VOICE AS Morrison and Looks Like Him. His Golurk was JUST HUGE, IT LOOKED EVEN BIGGER THAN Ridley's Golurk and the 2 Golurk at the White Ruins.

Ironic that Kalos Pokemon like Helioptile and Gogoat Appear in this Episode the Same day XY Comes out.

I give it a 10/10 because I just liked this Episode a Lot.

Do dub fans get to experience the joy of hearing Unshou Ishizuka making funny goat noises or did TPCI get one of their guys to do Gogoat's voice instead?

Do dub fans get to experience the joy of hearing Unshou Ishizuka making funny goat noises or did TPCI get one of their guys to do Gogoat's voice instead?
The former, Gogoat keeps its Japanese voice.

Was a good episode. Pignite over Charizard though... and Pignite winning.... Also they should've had the guy as Morisson, would've been cool for a random one time come back.

And the gen 6 stuff, woo.

Not too bad of the dubbed episode. Really enjoyed seeing the two 6th gen Pokemon, although Helio's voice wasn't what I was expecting, I was expecting to sound similar to Emolga's or Snivy's.

Golurk did seem so much bigger and stronger than what I expect Golurk to be. Rodney really reminds me a typical bully. Tough at first then wimps out when he lost.

Sumo Contest itself was cool, at least for me it was. Pignite seemed a bit smaller to me than normal. Slaking sleeping instead of battling, even if it lost it was so cool for me to at least see Watchog. Dragonite vs Beartic, I was also surprised when Dragonite lost (for the first time in my life I was cheering for Dragonite to win against an Ice type). To me it seems that Pansage was just sent there to loose.

For me it was 9/10 - just because of that quick glimpse of (that beautiful) Watchog, otherwise it might have been lower for me [8/10]. I wouldn't mind seeing parts of this episode over and over (mainly Pika attacking Helio - and the sumo portion too). I can just imagine how this episode will sound like when its dubbed in Spanish (Latin America) if they ever do.

At least in this episode, whom ever dubs them didn't mess up the opening, as they done with a few other episodes

XY came out the same day, as soon as the episode was over, I hoped on the Light Rail and grabbed my games
(in spoiler: nothing to do with the episode itself)

Last edited:
This episode felt a bit rushed, but other than that, it was neat and a cool shoutout to the Sumo contest Ash won with Snorlax. :D I expected him to use Krookodile though lol.

Although, I swear, Rodney's voice is also Morrison's. You know, Ash's Pokemon League buddy from Hoenn.

It's calling apples "berries" the newest running gag for the dub or what?

The dub always calls specific fruit either "berries" or just "fruit", rarely their actual names. I agree that it's weird. Anyway, Alexa was cool. I liked the touch with the Pokedex not recognizing Helioptile and Gogoat. And yet again we get an acknowledgement of Ash's past, with the reference to the sumo competition he entered in Johto. I love how many of those past references we've been getting in this saga.

So, it's the debut episode of Generation VI in the anime. And we get to see Helioptile, Alexa and Gogoat. YAY! :LOL::)

Poor Dragonite loses due to his tail touching the ground. Damn, the rules!

Yet another reason, why I feel Cilan's Pansage should have evolved into Simisage. But it doesn't matter much, I am good with it unevolved as well.

Pignite tossing Golurk was awesome. :X3::D

Overall, a pretty fun episode. I enjoyed watching it.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom