• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

16 Year Old Girl from Steubenville, Ohio Raped After Becoming Unconscious

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh*

I didn't say anyone deserved to be raped. And my signature has nothing to do with the subject.

You could sigh all you want. The evidence is right in front of your face.

Maybe you're signature doesn't have to do with the subject but it is still a creepy signature for you to have :/

*sigh*

I didn't say anyone deserved to be raped. And my signature has nothing to do with the subject.

You could sigh all you want. The evidence is right in front of your face.

Maybe you're signature doesn't have to do with the subject but it is still a creepy signature for you to have :/

I don't see a problem with a girl having a sig with breasts. Have you ever thought that perhaps she likes breasts? I know that it can be a foreign concept to some people in this world, but some girls really do like breasts. Also, even if she doesn't, I think that a girl should be allowed to have breasts in their sig without being harassed about it.

Oh, yes, I'm an admin, and this is a warning. Stop the harassment, whether it be via PM, VM, or in threads.

Haruhi's a guy though.

When a guy comes into a thread about a delicate subject like rape, has a signature with boobs that aren't actually part of a real woman but an animated woman made specifically to appeal to the male gaze, and then blames the victim because she dressed provocatively and thus she somehow deserved the unwanted attention, while mentioning how they were raised in a conservative environment that spoke out against that, it definitely sends the wrong message to people.

I didn't think I blamed the victim. My post about provocative dressing was on another subject. But then that's typically a male only opinion. ;p

It's actually not, though.

In fact it's rather common to see other women say the exact same things about female rape victims as well, with them pulling the old "they shouldn't of been dressed like sluts!" routine. I know a girl at my work, super-conservative and anti-abortion even in cases of rape, who basically thinks rape victims more or less deserve it because they don't adhere to the same standards as she does.

Really, the "they shouldn't be dressed like that!" argument is flawed because it's not like women dress up specifically to appeal to the opposite sex and get laid. I'd imagine, in fact, that many women like to dress up to simply feel better about themselves, or to simply show off to their friends and such. I mean, when I dress nice, I don't do it expecting to get laid, I do it because it makes me feel better about myself. Same with the "they shouldn't be drinking!" idea, women, like men, drink to have fun and let off a bit of stress.

I understand completely. It's just that the whole "the way you dress can give a right/wrong impression" get's beaten into me alot. Even now.

Of course, dressing is important when it comes to presenting yourself, no one is arguing against that. People are allowed to think what they want about people based on their upbringing and such.

It's when you argue that how a person dresses means they deserve to be sexually violated, that's where the problem lies. And even if you're not blaming the victim, you are giving excuses for the men who did it.

Oh no. those guys who did it did a horrible thing. I'm just not going to go out of my way to call them every name in the book or wish death upon them.

All I can do is acknowledge that it's wrong.

When she was unconscious and couldn't do anything about it... Words cannot describe how disgusting that is... The video, too...

This whole thing is absolutely disgusting and it makes me want to puke. I don't care how old those boys were, if they were drunk, or whatever... they deserve punishment for what they did and if they only got a year in prison then I have lost any respect I have for society. There is no justice in that and to be honest, I don't think they have any warrant for sympathy. Yes, they were teenagers. But so what? I'm 16 and I'm not going out and planning to rape someone, and if anyone says 'oh it's different for boys' then that is also just sick. I also don't care if she was wearing something 'proactive' or drinking, that is no excuse to take advantage of someone and then brag about it.

Obviously it's completely despicable. I do think that the way you dress can be a big part of these attacks. I'm not for a second saying that dressing provactively makes what happens to you more forgivable or deserving but I do think that quite a lot of girls dress for attention. This is case is different but while we're talking about this subject, I think parents should take note of how their young teens are presenting themselves when they leave the house.

This is completely disgusting... and yet I know it happens everyday, and it isn't exactly breaking news, but I can tell you right now that I have NO sympathy for them, I'm a teenager too, but I can understand when I'm doing something wrong, of course, at the time, it may not have seemed wrong... except for the fact that you CAN'T think rape ISN'T wrong, as some have said, in court, when one of them said his live was over, he CLEARLY shows that he doesn't recognize his actions as morally wrong, because he considers himself to be better than the victim, their popularity caused by football helping, and it seems some stupid ass journalists are agreeing... wtf? It's one thing for the attorneys, that's their job to defend those assholes, but media blaming the victim? BULLSHIT.

Also, and this applies to any other crime evidence posted on the internet, I have to wonder, did they think that they'd be found innocent because they're good football players? Because they posted it on the internet... not a good idea if you don't want to be found out.

Sick, deranged, inhumane, disgusting, revolting, and beyond shameful thing to do.

No one should treat a woman that way. No one has the right to do that. No one. Regardless of how they dress. Absolutely sick (insert cuss words here).

Last edited:
Anyway, now that I think about it, I can see where the ones who say that they feel sorry for the boys are coming from. The thing you have to remember is that they are children. Yes, hormones can't be controlled nowadays. However, all these kids knew was that, girl is drunk and doesn't and wont remember, we can have sex. I don't think these kids really have a grasp on their actions. I mean if they were adults, then yes they know what they are doing... but... yeah.

I'm not saying they shouldn't pay the consequences, they should. I just don't think they should life or the death penalty.

Anyway, now that I think about it, I can see where the ones who say that they feel sorry for the boys are coming from. The thing you have to remember is that they are children. Yes, hormones can't be controlled nowadays. However, all these kids knew was that, girl is drunk and doesn't and wont remember, we can have sex. I don't think these kids really have a grasp on their actions. I mean if they were adults, then yes they know what they are doing... but... yeah.

I'm not saying they shouldn't pay the consequences, they should. I just don't think they should life or the death penalty.

Understandable. So long as the pay the consequences for their actions. I myself feel they shouldn't be given the life or death penalty, but definitely severely punished in some form.

This is sickening. The fact that those two boys went out and raped this unconscious girl, video-taped it, and texted about it, saying, "oh man i can't believe all i got was a handjob" is evidence enough. What's even more disgusting is that people want to defend them. I can understand why they should be defended from the death penalty, but they should have gotten more than one year. They obviously knew exactly what they were doing, since they were texting about it and talking about it the next day.

Just because they're "promising football players" doesn't mean that they get to escape punishment. It doesn't mean that they get to do whatever they want. The news coverage of this case was focused on them, and how they had "such promising careers", and that "their lives were ruined". Well, guess what? They chose to ruin them, they chose to rape that girl. Her life is the one that is altered forever because of them. It's not like you just trip and fall down--oops, I raped someone! It doesn't work that way.

And the "she was wearing this, she deserved it" argument shows how disgusting our society is. People have the right to wear whatever they want. Instead of teaching girls not to wear revealing clothes or to go out late at night, we should be telling boys not to rape. We should be telling everyone not to rape.

They should have gotten more than one year.

I watched the whole video. At some point some of the guys even question what they're doing, and some guy even relates to his own sister, saying what if it was his own sister that was raped, indicating that the guys probably had some moral understanding of the situation. Perhaps they really thought they could actually get away with such a thing, because they were part of the football team and were treated as "higher beings."

It's disrespectful to the victim though and contributes nothing to the discussion. To add to that, the fact you also refer to the 2 year-old's rape as "dat rape", making it sound like an Internet meme, is equally disgusting.

And the "it's less emotionally damaging because she could legally have sex!" is a horrible argument. It's still a humiliating situation for her that I am positive she won't soon forget, and the fact you're trying to downplay that by bringing up a completely unrelated event that happened on the other side of the globe is ridiculous.

Oh, and now that I actually took a look at that link, I find it interesting you chose to use a link that's an obvious anti-Islamic site. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Oh, and now that I actually took a look at that link, I find it interesting you chose to use a link that's an obvious anti-Islamic site. I don't think that was a coincidence.

Yeah, needless to say the community doesn't condone rape (i am 1/3 arabic ;p)

As for the topic, I will we shall acknowledge that rape in general is bad. However, people should take cautionary steps to prevent these things.

It's disrespectful to the victim though and contributes nothing to the discussion. To add to that, the fact you also refer to the 2 year-old's rape as "dat rape", making it sound like an Internet meme, is equally disgusting.

And the "it's less emotionally damaging because she could legally have sex!" is a horrible argument. It's still a humiliating situation for her that I am positive she won't soon forget, and the fact you're trying to downplay that by bringing up a completely unrelated event that happened on the other side of the globe is ridiculous.

I found the link on another site where it was brought to my attention, I didn't google search for it. I'm not telling the girl or her sympathizers to grow thicker skin or some bs like that, but nitpicking on a spelling quirk is a little much. (I'm not telling you to stop putting things i said in quotation marks and ending them with exclamations, am I?)

Of course she wouldn't forget something that destroyed her teenhood and would scar her for life, but the same and much more could be said for the other girl who no one can say is in a better situation. she has sympathizers and the perpetrators are being brought to justice, regardless of how much they cliam to repent, so though she can't just undo what happened there is some sense of solace in them getting decades to life in jail; da other girl and her parents are actually worried for their lives after this ordeal. That's the message i was trying to get across, I still think the rape was plain wrong and the sick bastards have no excuse. They can get their whole bodies sawed off and I still woudn't feel sorry for them, but I would for the victim.

ftr the anti-Islam site hosting the article is because the supplier of the link may or may not have used that for to stress how raping/assaulting people to try to get them to convert is actually against what the religion teachers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom