• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY025: Shōyō Gym Battle! Pikachu VS Chigoras!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Title: Cyllage Gym Battle! Pikachu vs Tyrunt!!
Airing: May 8, 2014

The anime will be on a hiatus on May 1.

ポケットモンスター エックスワイ:あにてれ:テレビ東京

img_next140508.jpg

Here's hoping Froakie gets a win as well. :)

Dang, so soon? Looks like Iwane won't have time to work on the episode. Hopefully Yajima was able to recruit a handful of talented key animators from elsewhere.

Another Onix in a Gym Battle? Guess they're not completely going with the Gym Leaders' in-game teams, kinda like the Johto anime. Shame, really, I would love to see Ash up against two Fossil Pokemon instead of yet another Onix. Sure, Grant used it against Viola in the Battle Chateau episode, but, with the exception of Roxanne, every Rock type Gym Leader has used Onix in the anime, which is getting pretty annoying and dull. While I am glad to see they'll be keeping Tyrunt in the lineup, as it's family is now my favorite Fossil family, it would've been nice to keep it to in-game teams. Oh, well, here's hoping that Froakie washes out Onix.

In any case, aside from my Onix gripe, looks like a very promising episode. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

I hope Pikachu vs. Tyrunt isn't the final match. I'd be a bit disappointed if it comes down to him winning the badge for Ash. Hoping its similar to the episode that was titled Pikachu vs. Cranidos back in DP, where even though that was the major match, Turtwig ended up beating Cranidos. Here's hoping for Froakie to dazzle us all.

My money is only Pikachuu slaying Iwark and Keromatsu taking the big dog himself. Pikachuu had the big fish against Viola, so having Keromatsu take on Zakuro is only logical.

My gosh. I can't express how excited I am to see this. Whenever I see a battle with in XY animation I just flip out. ._.

Anyways... Here's to hoping that Keromatsu masters Quick Attack this episode. Would be nice if that happened, but if he just takes a win, I'll still be very happy. I'd also love to see his Yayakoma battle here. I know it's not the best match-up, but it does know Steel Wing, so I'm sure it could do something.

As long as Pikachu doesn't become the star like the last battle, I'll be satisfied.

I hope their on the beach! I see Clemont playing mother in this episode. Clemont is like a mother! He might rent a room in the Cyllage City hotel and used to fulfill Bonnie's needs, remember in XY006, we saw a fatigued Bonnie? She's a child so she might get hungry or tired again. Grant is tough! I can't wait for this battle!

Last edited:
Will Ash be able to win this one? As far as we know, Ash hasn't really done much to counter Grant's Rock Tomb strategy.

Even if Ash defeats Grant's Onix, and there is a very good chance that he will, Ash has never seen Grant's Tyrunt.

^^^ Agreed. Ash has only lost to two Gym Leaders in one region once: Lennora and Cheren, but the latter of which wasn't an "official" Gym match (meaning Ash was not going after a badge at that point, making it a more-or-less "B2W2 promotion" battle). I really don't see the writers handing Ash two Gym losses in a row. And judging by some of the pre-released screenshots, and as well as the title, Pikachu will battle Tyrunt. But I highly doubt the writers will give Ash a second Gym Battle loss in a row. More-or-less, Onix will be defeated (most likely Froakie), then that Pokemon will be defeated by Tyrunt, then Pika battles Tyrunt and wins. That seems to be the most likely outcome (as well as being a certain standard in the anime). So I agree with you: Ash won't lose to two Gyms in a row.

Ash also lost to Roark, Gardenia, and Fantina back in Sinnoh.

I don't see him losing to Grant, though. He's already seen how one of Grant's Pokemon battles, so he'll probably have a countermeasure in mind by the time he reaches the Gym. And none of the upcoming episodes seem to indicate anything about a rematch.

As for the Pokemon being used, if Pikachu has to beat Tyrunt then I hope Froakie can at least be the one to find a way around the Rock Tomb strategy. The frog really should be the one to win the day here (and it still might be, admittedly), but it could still come away with some glory if it beats Onix and loses to Tyrunt afterwards.

@Covershot; True, but Gardenia's and Fantina's first matches weren't "official" Gym Battles when his first encountered them (there was no Gym Badge involved, and in Gardenia's case, he didn't even know she was a Gym Leader at the time, as she didn't outright tell him at that time). I mean that he hasn't lost two official Gym matches in one region, meaning a battle for a badge, so my point stands. But still, either way, I highly doubt he'll lose to Grant. Most likely, Froakie will be Onix, then lose to Tyrunt, and Pikachu will create a comeback-from-behind win against Tyrunt.

I still wish they wouldn't use Onix, though. Grant doesn't use one at all in the games, so why did the writers have to include one in his arsenal? Using two regional Fossil Pokemon is much more interesting than a run-of-the-mill Onix in my opinion. Well, whatever, they call the shots, and I'm still looking forward to this episode either way, so I'll shut up there.

Additionally what I meant specifically was Ash losing twice in a row to Gym Leaders, rather than a loss and some wins...then another loss.

I'm hoping the title is misleading. While Pikachu vs Tyrunt will happen, I hope Froakie will be the one to actually defeat the Royal Heir Pokemon. Pikachu winning home the bread yet again will leave a bitter taste in mouth (sorry Pika); that spotlight should be shared, especially with all of Froakie's recent screen time.

Will Ash be able to win this one? As far as we know, Ash hasn't really done much to counter Grant's Rock Tomb strategy.

Here's to hoping he'll use his counter-shield strategy. It would honestly be really useful here.

Since Pikachu starred in the first Gym, and this is a rock type Gym, it's pretty obvious Froakie will get to star here and they'll probably let Fletchling star in the next one since it's a fighting Gym... I do find it ridiculous we get to watch ANOTHER Gym Battle against Onix...

Is it just me or does Grant look older in the anime than in the game. In the game he looks 15 in the anime he looks like he's 20.

Is it just me or does Grant look older in the anime than in the game. In the game he looks 15 in the anime he looks like he's 20.

I did notice that, maybe it's because he's animated with more detail in the anime for some reason. Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing Froakie battle again, even though I'm a bit disappointed with the choice to use Onix again.

Geez wonder how many tries ash gonna make in order to win. Remember that Grant's Onix Rock Tomb is frickin strong

animation director is atsushi ogata

in other words, shitty gym animation

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom