• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP22: Going for the Gold!

A really enjoyable episode. It was much more entertaining than I expected, so that's great. Also great that the UK has passed the US in dubbing so I can watch this episode earlier than usual.

I liked the beginning of the episode where Ash let out Froakie and he, Pikachu, Bonnie, and Dedenne played in the water. Once again Bonnie's proposal is hilarious. But, what exactly made that woman a keeper? The scene of everyone looking at the water Pokemon was also entertaining, particularly Bonnie's. Like when she fell down upon seeing Relicanth and impersonated Wooper's face. I loved when she said “Woo Hoo” and Clemont responded, “You mean Wooper”. I don’t know why, I just found that funny. A cute way to make what could have been a boring scene funny. Also, Serena thinks Gorebyss is cute? Hm, not what I’d call cute, but whatever. Finally, nice to see a reference to Piplup. Even though I despise him with a passion, it’s nice to have some continuity.

Okay, I know this episode was about Magikarp, but am I the only one who found it weird that it was the only Pokémon Ash scanned in the entire aquarium; a Pokémon that he’s most likely seen more of than any of those other Pokemon. I think it would have made more scene had Serena scanned it. I loved that guy with the Chatot. Simply because he had a Chatot. Wish it would have talked through. Also, did Jessie say she was having a brainstorm? As if she uses her brain…

Ooh, it sounded like Clemont and Ash where a bit competitive about catching that Karp. That was rather surprising, but also nice to hear. I also like how Bonnie cheered on Clemont. Serena learning how to fish was nice. I'm glad she actually tried to catch the Corsola. Too bad Fennekin didn't get to use any attacks, but I can understand it not wanting to battle a water-type. But at least Serena seemed pretty enthusiastic about it. Hoping she's getting closer to making a capture.

Rodman and Clauncher were more interesting than I thought they'd be. I loved the mini-plot of Bonnie and Dedenne trying to befriend Clauncher. Especially when Bonnie came out of nowhere and was like “Wanna play”. Dedenne can be kind of annoying, I mean repeatedly poking Claucher with his tail. I probably would have done the same thing. And lol, Dedenne Nuzzle shocked Bonnie again. These two are too cute.

Last but not least, Clemont's inventions were...actually a bit unimpressive. It was cool that he made two things in that short time span though. Also liked how he designed the Chinchou first and then a Lanturn as if to show that the second was was intended to be stronger. And I agree with Bonnie. These have to be his worst invention names so far.

Clauncher rescuing Dedenne and then attacking Team Rocket was so cool. I like how it finally warmed up to Bonnie and Dedenne.

A finally, the golden Magikarp appeared. I was beginning to think the episode would have gone through without us seeing it in person. Loved everyone's high-fives, jumping, and cheering about it. Bonnie's "happy" cheers were still odd, like in XY6, but still cute. Overall, a very entertaining episode. 8.5/10.

I liked this episode a lot. The montage at the beginning of the aquarium was my favourite bit, I think. I rather like how it was sheer coincidence that brought Team Rocket and the twerps into close proximity

As ever, loving Bonnie's antics

I stumbled across this episode yesterday on an anime site, and notified Pokemaster about it, didn't realize that the UK has overtaken the US in dubs but that's great.

Anyway, this episode in particular was very good and rather enjoyable. The main factor for me this episode was Ash, and how he remembers the Pokemon in the museum. The reference to dawn's Piplup was carried over from the Japanese version and was handled rather nicely. The curator and his Clauncher make a great team, and you can see that there's an underlying bond between the two of them, even handling Team Rocket mostly by themselves was nice to see for a change.

And the Shiny Magikarp was nice to see again, albeit a real one this time. xD 7/10

Well, I didn't expect the Ambrette Aquarium to get an episode of focus considering how insignificant it is in the games.

Why on earth did Bonnie propose to the woman who greeted them? What makes her a keeper? Sometimes I don’t get Bonnie’s credentials.

Okay, Clemont, obviously the creator of the Aquarium would know a good deal about Water Pokémon. Stop stating the obvious!

It was nice seeing some cute Piplup for once~ Wouldn’t feel like an Aquarium without the mandatory penguins~ But…did Ash really just look up Magikarp? Anyone also care to explain why that dude said Water was the second most common type, when it’s the most common type, tho?

Guess they couldn’t leave out somehow putting in a Golden Magikarp here either. =w= Loled when the old dude reeled in that seaweed or kelp or whatever. He’d like us to meet his partner, Clauncher. Which Clemont thinks is a good idea to remind us seconds later is a Clauncher…stating the obvious...

I’m with this guy; whenever I catch a Magikarp, I always release it, too~ Cute how Bonnie cheered on Clemont to catch the Shiny Magikarp. I was a bit disappointed we didn't get to see Ash's Misty Lure, tho. We all know we wanted to see Serena be jealous about it.

I think it’s cute that Bonnie’s trying to play with Clauncher since, I guess she’s too young to fish~

That Corsola is my fren. Seriously, Serena needed a Water Gun to the face and Fennekin needed a scolding after its attitude in the last episode, I don’t even care that they had nothing to do with each other. This is why I love Corsola~ Ash should have mentioned Misty's Corsola.

Okay, Bonnie’s being really creepy with that Clauncher. I’d have attacked her and Dedenne, too. But Clauncher has a pretty odd backstory. It didn’t like being looked at and stopped eating? What in earth?! I hope it wasn’t trying to kill itself…really, like, I need to know more on that...

Random Luv Nuzzle is adorable.

Somehow I knew Team Rocket would paint the thing Gold. Bonnie’s right, Clemont’s names are getting much worse. Then again, so are the inventions themselves…And I cracked up when they attracted Sharpedo. Only thing worse would have been Gyarados.

Starmie’s voice was pretty cool~ Still sounds as if they’re all female. Love the consistency.

OMG! I seriously laughed out loud at Clemont’s Lanturn invention! Twice in a row! And made better why it’s ridiculous name and Bonnie’s continued lack of enthusiasm. There’s no way a bunch of kids and an old man should be able to hold on to the Magikarp Mobile like that, tho. It much weigh almost nothing.

OMZ! I seriously laughed out loud again when Team Rocket just stuck their heads out of the Magikarp and jumped right into the motto. They're really being funny this season. Or maybe that's what happens when they don't shove it into our faces every episode.

SO NOW TEAM ROCKET WANTS DEDENNE? What’s with this inconsistency? One day they could care less enough about it to mention it to Madame X. The next, they want to steal it. Regardless, Dedenne’s like Oshawott; he has the best reactions. And HOLY…that Clauncher is a frickin’ beast! That was awesome. And everyone’s faces when old dude and Clauncher suddenly got into the battle, tho? Hilarious! But, what was up with the coloring during all those water attacks? Got all dark all of a sudden~

Why did James say Wobuffett?! That was so funny!

I was as shocked as everyone else that the legend existed. O_O Yes, we are all indeed happy~

That was a pretty good episode. Highly enjoyable and many funny moments, even from Team Rocket. I can’t think of much that I can complain about, except for that cocktease earlier that Serena could have even possibly gotten another Pokémon (which none of us doubted would not happen) and Clemont stating the obvious. But still, very good episode. 9.3/10~

Pretty enjoyable episode about two popular in game pass times: Fishing and Shiny hunting. I liked seeing Bonnie's Broak gag returning, and the gang catching Team Rocket's Magikarp ship was pretty funny. Although we will never see that old man ever again, I do hope he catches that Magikarp

Since Clauncher is one of my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon, I was really looking forward to this episode.

Well, this episode didn't really impress me because it was just too ordinary and they could have made it at least a little bit more exciting. Basically, it was all about our heroes standing there at the beach trying to catch a Magicarp, which, by the way, is a Pokemon that we've seen hundreds of times before. Why not introduce a 6th gen Pokemon as the object of desire? But on the other hand, the episodes wasn't that bad, either. I'd say it was a so-so episode.

Just a few aspects I'd like to mention:

What I found really, really nice was that Ash remembered and mentioned Dawn's Piplup which we'll definitely not forget! Very nice continuity!

Couldn't they show a few more "spectacular" Water-type Pokemon in that aquarium? The ones that were shown were so familiar. If I were Ash, I would have found it rather boring, I guess.

So that man with the Chatot said that Water-type Pokemon were the second most common Pokemon. I wonder what the most common type is then. Normal-types perhaps?

Clemont's more or less unsuccessful inventions... oh well, they're getting old if you ask me.

And yes, here I go again with my ranting about a certain character I'm starting to hate more and more. Who the hell had the idea that the show would need such a childish and useless character like that Bonnie?? I simply hate her :eek:hdear:
Not only does she contribute nothing to the plot that would have any significance, but she is also childish, has an annoying, shrieking voice, and destroys the whole seriousness of the show. Dear God, I want a show that is mature and serious considering how long it has been on TV by now, but that little brat totally destroys it. I hate her!

Well, apart from Bonnie and Clemont, the rest of the episode was quite nice and that's basically all I can say.

Not only does she contribute nothing to the plot that would have any significance, but she is also childish, has an annoying, shrieking voice, and destroys the whole seriousness of the show. Dear God, I want a show that is mature and serious considering how long it has been on TV by now, but that little brat totally destroys it. I hate her!

Getting rid of Bonnie would do nothing to make the show more mature or serious. Be honest here, there's never been anything mature or serious about the show. It's a cartoon, full of cartoon protagonists (Ash) and cartoon villains (Hunter J, Giovanni). And as far as contribution to the plot is concerned, Serena contributes about the same as Bonnie at this point

It's the beach get your swimsuit out...

Ash knew what a Pokemon was, what is this!? I call fake Ash.

LolRelicanht

All those Pokemon, scans Magikarp.

Could've sworne Bulbapedia said Water had the most Pokemon.

TR, just steal the statue and come back for the possible Magikap later.

Dedenne deserved that lel

Giant Golden Magikarp boat is so stupid it might work

I like how that one guy had a Chatot at random

"I'll have caught the Golden Magikarp by the time I see you next" - so never

Getting rid of Bonnie would do nothing to make the show more mature or serious. Be honest here, there's never been anything mature or serious about the show. It's a cartoon, full of cartoon protagonists (Ash) and cartoon villains (Hunter J, Giovanni). And as far as contribution to the plot is concerned, Serena contributes about the same as Bonnie at this point

Agreed, the show's not going to be much more serious or mature than it is now no matter who the characters are. Not to mention, Bonnie has actually shown a good deal of maturity. All of those complaints can more accurately describe Serena than Bonnie, arguably. I mean: "not contributing to the plot, childish, annoying"; Bonnie's gotten much more development than Serena has at this point.

Agreed, the show's not going to be much more serious or mature than it is now no matter who the characters are. Not to mention, Bonnie has actually shown a good deal of maturity. All of those complaints can more accurately describe Serena than Bonnie, arguably. I mean: "not contributing to the plot, childish, annoying"; Bonnie's gotten much more development than Serena has at this point.

I don't agree at all!
Beth Pavell mentioned Hunter J but was she the perfect example that there can indeed be serious and mature characters in that show. By mentioning her and Giovanni you just gave me one more argument that I can use in my favor.

Getting rid of Bonnie would do nothing to make the show more mature or serious.
What?? I don't see your point at all, sorry. If anything, it's primarily the characters who decide if a show is serious or not!
And I don't care how much development Bonnie has gotten so far. She can get whatever she wants (and even that is debatable) but she will always stay an annoying little kid.

I don't agree at all!

You don't have to agree, but I can hardly see how you think Bonnie doesn't contribute, is childish, and is annoying but that Serena somehow isn't described by such terms, when she has literally gotten next to no development, does not contribute to the group past reading the map, and is both childish and petty.

As for whether or not the show is serious, it's the writers that decide how serious it will be more than the characters. I mean, nothing about Dawn is more mature than Misty or May (as far as I can tell), yet DP was a much more serious series over the original and AG with the Hunter J and Team Galactic Arcs. And it just seems to be because the writers wanted it to be. So, XY can be a "serious" series if the writers want it to be. They won't not make it "serious and mature" because of Bonnie. At the end of the day, the show will never truly be "mature and serious" as the main series Pokemon Anime isn't that kind of show.

Pokémon is, and will probably always be a very frothy and childish show. And that, as far as I am concerned, is fine because that's what I've come to expect. To my mind Bonnie is the best written small child characters to date - she's childish, yes, and we never forget that she is a small girl (Unlike Max, who usually acted far older than he was) but unlike a lot of COTD's it's not done to the extreme. Her voice acting, for one, doesn't push the whole "kid speak" thing too far.

As far as villains are concerned, they're cartoon villains. That's fine and appropriate for the show but to call them mature is just silly. Giovanni, who wants to rule the world! Hunter J, who captures "rare and valuable pokémon" with her kool freeze gun and kool airship. Hammy dialogue, check. Ridiculous goals, check for Giovanni. Over equipped for the task, oh you betcha check with Hunter J. Supposedly at the top of their game but foiled by ten year olds, check

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom