• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY044: Shara Gym Match! Pikachu VS Mega Lucario!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
Title: Shalour Gym Battle! Pikachu vs Mega Lucario!!
Airs: September 25th
315WHIr.jpg

Last edited:
It would appear this is merely a one-versus-one gym battle. That sucks, I was hoping Satoshi would use all of his Pokemon to defeat Lucario. Oh, well.

I wouldn't be pulled in by the title just yet...there's no guarantee it'll JUST be Pikachu vs Lucario. I could have sworn I'd seen similar name deceivers before.

I just hope it's a 3 vs. 3 battle so Hawlucha and Froakie can get some action.

It would appear this is merely a one-versus-one gym battle. That sucks, I was hoping Satoshi would use all of his Pokemon to defeat Lucario. Oh, well.
What makes you say this is a one-versus-one battle?

Indeed. In fact, if we take Adamant/Dephender's translation:

Dephender said:
"Ash and his Pokémon challenge Korrina, the Gym Leader of Shalour City, who uses a Mega Lucario!"

If it was just a 1 vs. 1, wouldn't be have gotten a simple "Ash and his Pikachu"? To me that implies that Ash will use other Pokémon as well for the Gym match.

As far as I'm aware nothing has confirmed this will be a 1 vs. 1. In fact, a Mienfoo is confirmed to appear in this episode, which game Korrina owns. I think we could even expect a 3 vs. 3.

It's difficult to believe that Korrina has or will use other Pokemon for the Gym Battle, given how much focus Lucario has had and the Lucario-centered previews. That Mienfoo could just as easily belong to another Trainer, a gym trainee perhaps.

Either way, at this point, I would accept a Pikachu vs Mega Lucario battle or the usual 3 on 3. Either would be good in my opinion, with both resulting in the Mouse Pokemon shocking the Aura User to death.

It's difficult to believe that Korrina has or will use other Pokemon for the Gym Battle, given how much focus Lucario has had and the Lucario-centered previews. That Mienfoo could just as easily belong to another Trainer, a gym trainee perhaps.
We have only had two "previews" so far. The first was an animated preview that showcased what seems to be the final exchange of blows between Lucario and Pikachu (Aura Sphere vs Electro Ball, I think) and the second is similar, showing Pikachu vs Lucario, once again, Aura Sphere vs Electro Ball. They are clearly emphasizing on the final match (which is nothing uncommon for the writers) or maybe they want to generate hype for this showdown but either way, we haven't gotten that much footage of this gym battle.

Look here, the second picture from this magazine was taken directly from the animated preview we already got:

untitled.PNG

Last edited:
tbh I just really want to get some Mienfoo action. Its participation back in Beartic Mountain Feud! was less than satisfying, I desperately need to see it in an actual battle.

It HASN'T SAID ANYWHERE that it's 1 on 1, I think it's going to be 3 VS. 3 because why else is Mienfoo SUPPOSED to be for the Who's That Pokemon LOL? Let's Hope the battle is Ok.

I don't think I need to be told by more than one person "Yo dawg, it doesn't say it is going to be one-on-one."

I made my comment based on the lack of cuts for either the previews, the magazines, and the episode title. Not to mention there hasn't been much in the way of evidence Corni has more than one Pokemon. Corni only having one would be less than logical, but these cartoon series aren't always consistent about their use of logic.

I made my comment based on the lack of cuts for either the previews, the magazines
In this case, both magazines and the animated preview share the same material. The pictures from the magazine were taken from the preview (the second picture). So it's actually nothing new.

and the episode title.
The title simply says what the final battle will be just like it did in the case of Viola and Grant's gym battle (both titles had 'Pikachu vs Vivillion/Tyrunt and) and in both cases, more than one Pokémon was used. The writers seem like they want us to get most excited for Pikachu vs Lucario since both are very popular Pokémon in Japan.

We have only had two "previews" so far. The first was an animated preview that showcased what seems to be the final exchange of blows between Lucario and Pikachu (Aura Sphere vs Electro Ball, I think) and the second is similar, showing Pikachu vs Lucario, once again, Aura Sphere vs Electro Ball. They are clearly emphasizing on the final match (which is nothing uncommon for the writers) or maybe they want to generate hype for this showdown but either way, we haven't gotten that much footage of this gym battle.

Look here, the second picture from this magazine was taken directly from the animated preview we already got:

View attachment 95920

I'm pretty sure Pikachu never got to star in 3 gyms in a row in any other series.

So why then is Pikachu seemingly the star 3 gyms in a row this series? I really want to know why they are turning this into the Pikachu show, because it wasn't like this last generation or the generation before. Hell even though Pikachu was used in every gym in Johto, it still wasn't the Pikachu show then.

View attachment 95920

I'm pretty sure Pikachu never got to star in 3 gyms in a row in any other series.

So why then is Pikachu seemingly the star 3 gyms in a row this series? I really want to know why they are turning this into the Pikachu show, because it wasn't like this last generation or the generation before. Hell even though Pikachu was used in every gym in Johto, it still wasn't the Pikachu show then.

This may be an insignificant observation, but back in Kanto:

1. Pikachu "beat" Onix, giving Ash the Boulder Badge
2. Pikachu saved the Cerulean Gym, prompting Daisy to give Ash the Cascade Badge
3. Pikachu bluntly defeated Raichu, garnering Ash the Thunder Badge

Thus Pikachu-centered wins in succession isn't a foreign thing entirely. However, I agree that the spotlight could be specifically shown on Ash's other party members.

Froakie and Fletchling had gym wins so it's fine for now, however I noticed there's a lot of focus/promo for Pikachu in the Pokémon franchise lately, maybe its merchandise is selling well?

Honestly, since we now know this is gonna be a one-episode gym battle, I'd much rather it be a one-on-one battle. I'd rather not have Froakie and company's battles be mere afterthoughts compared to the main event.

As for the Pikachu focus... *shrug* Pikachu had a lot of involvement with Lucario in the Korrina arc, and he's due for a rematch.

I just hope our Flying-type friends and Water-type underdog get top billing for the Grass Gym battle.

Last edited:
Agreed... i think that they might Flecthcinder a chance this time as it hasnt really shone in the previous battles(meaning that it hasnt won a battle in a gym only weakened Tyrunt a bit) also since flecthcinder has a good advantage over lucario i think it's gonna play a role here... although pikachu will have the honors of landing the final blow...

this battle will most probably be 3 vs 3 or 1 on one....

Also i think ash will have this battle alone meaning serena and the others wont be there to watch... but lets see what happens !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom