• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY049: Dispatch the Laplace Protection Team! Do Your Best, Eureka!!

Is it that my laggy KeyHoleTV make me miss Luxio or it wasn't in the OP at all??

Overall an above average episode. I love when the girl got shocked by Dedenne's Nuzzle. And the chemistry between the kids are good.

I am neutral with the mom don't let us keep pets thing... it could have been a nice touch but it felt very cruel.

My problem is with the chocolate, why does it has to be the key that snap Lapras out of confusion? Pretty Anti-climatic.

And another problem lies with the other 2 Lapras. I was waiting for Ash, Serena and Clemont to catch up in time instead of 2 Lapras appear out of no where to help.

And why Bonnie did absolute NOTHING with Dedenne? Other kids don't have one but YOU, YOU have! DO something! Discharge! Nuzzle!

6/10, I said it was above average but in fact, for an XY episode its far below average.

Last edited:
That's right, Luxio wasn't in the OP at all. And the same thing will go to Froakie when it will evolve into a Frogadier, they're going to feature the same variant until they give the new one.

The anime stopped updating shots in the opening and ending with recent captures a long time ago. Why does it still bother people when a fresh capture/evolution isn't shown the next week? It shouldn't be surprising at this point.

The anime stopped updating shots in the opening and ending with recent captures a long time ago. Why does it still bother people when a fresh capture/evolution isn't shown the next week? It shouldn't be surprising at this point.

They did update for Pancham didn't they?

They did update for Pancham didn't they?

No. They just replaced the scenes where Korrina and Lucario were in during the Korrina arc, and added Serena instead to focus on her since this arc is over.

As well as Diantha on the poster, Mabel and Gurkinn were replaced by Aria, Braixen, Serena's Mother and her Pancham.

That's why they don't do such a thing as giving the other variants.

Another episode, another piece of Pokemon-themed clothing for Eureka with a Yadoran-themed swimsuit. I'm loving how creative the anime is being with the stuff she wears.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Luxio use his fourth move in this episode? Looks like Spark or Wild Charge.

Another episode, another piece of Pokemon-themed clothing for Eureka with a Yadoran-themed swimsuit. I'm loving how creative the anime is being with the stuff she wears.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Luxio use his fourth move in this episode? Looks like Spark or Wild Charge.

That's Wild Charge.

That's Wild Charge.

Just checked the episode RAW. Yep, Wild Charge. Thank goodness, I was starting to think the writers had imposed a three-move limit on newly caught Pokemon. We're still waiting to see Luchabull and Yancham's fourth moves.

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Better than the last Bonnie focused episode.

First off, I'm glad that while Bonnie went of by herself, Ash did some training for his gym battle and Serena was practicing for her Pokemon Performance (I assume that's what was happening at least). Not sure about Clemont...guess he was working on an invention. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that everyone was working on something even if it was off screen.

I don't usually care much for very young CODs, but I liked the Lapras team kids. Design and personality wise, I liked Hina and Ken the most. Joe...eh okay, but that interesting or entertaining imo. I was quite pleased to see how much screen time Bonnie and the kids got to themselves. The scenes of them playing with Lapras was cool, and I loved Bonnie's Slowbro-themed swimsuit.

Skipping ahead to the group showing up and taking Lapras to...wherever they were going, I found that random rock in the path to be totally odd and unnecessary. Also found it weird that Serena, despite having just caught a second Pokemon, only sent out Fennekin while Ash and Clemont sent out two of their Pokemon. Hell, if she was only picking one of them, I would have thought Pancham's fighting move would have been better than Fennekin's Scratch. But whatever. Like I said, seemed unnecessary and a weird excuse have have a bunch of Pokemon do a joined group attack. Well, I guess it showed off Luxio's Wild Charge, but...yeah whatever...

Hm, looks like TR actually had a plan today and tried to divide and conquer. I liked how the kids took it upon themselves to try to fight off TR on their own. My only real issue was Lapras being healed from confusion through the power of candy. I also wish Bonnie would have used Dedenne to hold off TR, rather than those 2 Lapras showing up out of nowhere.

Overall, I found this to be a good episode for Bonnie. Definitely, liked how she got to hang out with some kids her own age and help them out. 7.5/10.

For some reason, the page have multiple Lapras added, but that's not true. They are x3, the parents and their child. I saw a Plank Cloak Wormadam where Bonnie went to the forest.

And why Bonnie did absolute NOTHING with Dedenne? Other kids don't have one but YOU, YOU have! DO something! Discharge! Nuzzle!

My thoughts exactly.

Even though Bonnie did command it to battle (only briefly) in one episode, I think the writers are pointing it out that Dedenne isn't Bonnie's Pokemon, but Clemont's. Since Clemont is the one with the Pokeball, Dedenne can only answer to his commands...

I dunno, it sounds a bit ridiculous but I do hate how Dedenne is practically useless in the anime.

Aww, what a sweet episode.

I assumed the Lapras was trapped in the inlet by the rock fall (that's probably where it got injured as well). I didn't realise it was a young Pokemon, I thought it was calling for its mate.
One thing that bothers me - why couldn't Lapras simply go around the rock? Seeing as it could go in & out of the cave with the children, I gathered that it can shuffle about a bit like seals can.

I also loved Bonnie's Slowbro swimsuit & can't wait to see the Jessie/Meowth motto in English.
They have smarties in Japan! :-D

Does this post make sense? I'm very tired & my brain's turned to custard

Define "a long time ago". As recently as the Decolora Islands arc, the opening was updated when changes occur.
Really, it seems like this happens in cycles. For example, we had Battle Frontier, Spurt, Together, and High Touch which updated to show party changes, The Greatest-Everyday which spoiled party changes from the start, Best Wishes which updated every episode early on as part of its gimmick, Be an Arrow which spoiled party changes from the start, Summerly Slope which was updated consistently, and then V (Volt) which spoiled party changes from the start.

I wonder if Ash mentioned his own Lapras, it didn't seem like he did? While there's not much that overlaps in the stories, any episode where Lapras reunite as a group is bound for that comparison. It would have added a bit more weight to Ash trying to calm the kids down about having Lapras leave them.

Could Clemont please just invent a walkie-talkie? Or just buy some Holocasters? 'Sure Bonnie, go play alone in the woods' - I know it would ruin about half the episodes, but I don't recall Max going off on his own nearly as much as Bonnie does, either with or without permission.

I was wondering also why Ash didn't get Froakie out to keep Lapras hydrated - it doesn't strike me as a Pokemon that should be out of the water for any length of time - otherwise why couldn't it just have gotten out of the water and went around the rock on land?

Disappointed Dedenne couldn't use an attack against Team Rocket - also disappointed that James didn't vaguely attempt a disguise.

The focus episodes for Clemont and Serena were far better than Bonnie's - I wonder how that will be reflected as the series goes on, whether a reason for her to travel independent of Clemont could be established and give her more of a character in her own right.

'Sure Bonnie, go play alone in the woods' - I know it would ruin about half the episodes, but I don't recall Max going off on his own nearly as much as Bonnie does, either with or without permission.
That's how it should be, though. Max and Bonnie are different characters and have different personalities and interests, after all.

I actually enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought I would.

The three kids that Bonnie met were all very fun and had unique interactions with each other. Also I found this episode a perfect example of why children under the age of ten aren't allowed to be Pokémon Trainers yet.

Had Ash, Serena and Clemont not found the Lapras and the kids, as Ash said, the Lapras would have most likely died and the three kids were simply incapable of grasping the gravity of the whole situation. In comparison to them, Ash and his companions looked super mature further highlighting the difference in maturity between them.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom