• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation I: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology in Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation I: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology in Generation I

In the second of seven articles, Pokémon Professor and Archaeologist Becca takes you on a journey into Generation I core series games through the lens of media archaeology.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation I: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology in

I'm a little troubled by your assertion that only Game Boy Color games are enhanced for the Super Game Boy. I know of plenty of grey-cartridge classic Game Boy titles that were enhanced for the Super Game Boy, including (but not limited to) Donkey Kong, Game and Watch Gallery, Castlevania Legends and yes, Pocket Monsters Yellow. I've played the Japanese Yellow Version on my Super Game Boy unit and it did have colour enhancements and a special border like in this pic. Furthermore, Pocket Monsters Red, Green and Blue were also enhanced for the Super Game Boy. Actually, the guts inside the Super Game Boy unit is an old school Game Boy itself! That is why Game Boy Color-only games don't play on it and true GBC games like Pokémon Gold and Silver, Pokémon Card GB and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX actually play the "black-and-white" version! (The little girl in the Goldenrod Dept. Store says "oh, you need a Game Boy Color to use Mystery Gift" if you approach her while playing on a Super Game Boy. :p)

Otherwise, the article was interesting... neat to think about the development process between which versions gave which programming code to subsequent versions. :p most of the history I knew already, but it was still cool to read :p carry on!

Re: Can we catch ‘em all?: Generation I: Versions, remakes, and media archaeology in

Really great read!

However, I do have a correction:

Pokemon Yellow was released in Australia in 1999 before the U.S.,not 2000.

Pikachu Down Under - IGN

So, I'd rewritten that section then lost it when we had the rewritten article technical nonsense. Going to see if I can add an addendum to the article on this section and, if you want, note you as my source for that (also need to add sources overall, I suck at Wiki code and had no idea how to add footnotes).

You're right on color enhancements in general. It's not that only Game Boy Color games are enhanced, but only they are enhanced in a specific way such as through the use of borders vs not and the ability to select a palette vs a pre-selected palette. When we add up all the different ways in which Super Game Boy interacted between Japanese and international versions, and also consider the overall brightness of color on a Game Boy Color, only then can you figure out that the international versions were Game Boy Color optimized. Hence media specificity gives us insight into the color change.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure all fans know Generation I's crazy version history. I'm assuming this article will be a no-brainer for most fans. But I didn't want to jump into the far more interesting Gen II without first considering Gen I. If my options were either cram Gen I into the Gen II article or make a much less interesting article for Gen I, I picked the separate boring article. Hope that's understandable!

I'm a little troubled by your assertion that only Game Boy Color games are enhanced for the Super Game Boy. Otherwise, the article was interesting... neat to think about the development process between which versions gave which programming code to subsequent versions. :p most of the history I knew already, but it was still cool to read :p carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom