• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S17 EP48: Bonnie for the Defense!

re: S17 ep 49 "Bonnie For The Defense!"

I thought this was a pretty good episode. Better than the last Bonnie focused episode.

First off, I'm glad that while Bonnie went off by herself, Ash did some training for his gym battle. Serena was practicing for her Pokemon Performance, and Clemont was working on an invention. I'm glad to hear that everyone was working on something related to their goals even if it was off screen.

I don't usually care much for very young CODs, but I liked the Lapras team kids. Design and personality wise, I liked Heidi and Kye the most. I actually didn't even mind Kye’s gag of getting words wrong since, well he’s a kid. Jay...eh okay, but he wasn't that interesting or entertaining imo. I was quite pleased to see how much screen time Bonnie and the kids got to themselves. The scenes of them playing with Lapras was cool, and I loved Bonnie's Slowbro-themed swimsuit. Also, thought it was funny that all of these kids wore their swimsuits under their clothes. And I don’t know why, but I loved the part where Bonnie asked about Lapras, and Heidi was all like “Should I tell you?”, then asked the boys, “Should I tell her?” Like geez, trolling to the max. JUST TELL HER!

Also, something I’ve been forgetting to mention in my past few reviews is that I’ve really been liking the music, they’ve been using for Who’s that Pokemon. Braxien’s a few episodes ago was nice, and I enjoyed Lapras’s today. As expected, the dub removed the Ash’s comment that Lapras might die without help. Well, at least he and Clemont hinted pretty strongly at it. I also really liked how they had Nurse Joy informed the kids of the fate of the Eevee they helped. (It seems like their teacher never did.)

Skipping ahead to the group showing up and taking Lapras to...wherever they were going, I found that random rock in the path to be totally odd and unnecessary. Also found it weird that Serena, despite having just caught a second Pokemon, only sent out Fennekin while Ash and Clemont sent out two of their Pokemon. Hell, if she was only picking one of them, I would have thought Pancham's fighting move would have been better than Fennekin's Scratch. But whatever. Like I said, seemed unnecessary and a weird excuse to have a bunch of Pokemon do a joined group attack. Well, I guess it showed off Luxio's Wild Charge, but...yeah whatever...

Hm, looks like TR actually had a plan today and tried to divide and conquer. I liked how the kids took it upon themselves to try to fight off TR on their own. My only real issue was Lapras being healed from confusion through the power of candy. I also wish Bonnie would have used Dedenne to hold off TR, rather than those 2 Lapras showing up out of nowhere. Seriously, she said in the beginning of this episode that she’d be fine on her own so long as Dedenne was with her, but then she doesn’t even use him when she and the other kids were in danger.

Overall, I found this to be a good episode for Bonnie. Definitely, liked how she got to hang out with some kids her own age and help them out. 7.8/10.

This was a fun episode. Full of laughs and hijinks. Especially loved James just down the river fishing until Lapras came by.

I've read somewhere that this is the season finale, and obviously I won't be buying it without knowing. Is there any actual indication for this episode being the last from season 17 (except of course it'd be a nice choice for it to be this one)?

I've read somewhere that this is the season finale, and obviously I won't be buying it without knowing. Is there any actual indication for this episode being the last from season 17 (except of course it'd be a nice choice for it to be this one)?

Alyson Rosenfeld (Bonnie) confirms it on her Twitter feed
that this was indeed the season finale of The Series XY (Season 17):
https://twitter.com/AlysonRosenfeld/status/546316809457369088

A Fine Episode to End a Season. Usually I'm not the Biggest Fan of Bonnie Episodes but I did like this one, it was Cute :) . The Lapras was Cute and Bonnie proved herself VERY WELL here I think. Over all Average Episode and to a Good Season Finale 6.5/10

According to these sites it's apparently confirmed this is the final episode of the season:

Pokémon The Series XY: Final de temporada se transmitirá en diciembre en USA - Anime, Manga y TV
Cartoon Network December 2014 Premiere Info

After that last episode, why would he let Bonnie go off on her own?

what's with the 7 year olds stripping off ¬_¬

...XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD at Slowbro swimsuit.

OH, Larpas defence? I thought they said Labyrinth D:

Well Adults do lie... but I'd imagine kids lie more. Since Ash is forever 10 I'm sure that means he can go visit this Lapras :L then tell everyone about that time he had one.

Best motto ever.

That was actually a great episode, despite being pointless filler. Was a good realistic plot with a realistic ending and not a BS way for TR to lose. Speaking of you can't really say TR were in the wrong since they're wild Pokemon.

Good character development for the characters of the day.

Well, a rather childish episode so I won't further comment on that but thanks to Ash and Serena in particular, we had some quite mature moments.

All in all, nothing special but still quite nice.

I noticed that the kids seem to have a rough RBGY color scheme clothing-wise.

Now I'm starting to wonder if this is the adaptation on the Lapras you get in X/Y?

I really REALLY liked the episode~ Them kids, doe!

With a first scene like that, you already know we're finishing off our series of focused episodes and now's Bonnie! I'm at the very least glad that not only is Ash training for his Gym Battle and Clemont learning to not blow sh*t up, but Serena's actually working on her performance. DAMN! She is really on a roll!~

Bonnie is so damn cute wishing Wormandam a nice day. Though I do have to wonder how she knew what a Wormadam was. It seems pretty inconsistent on which Pokemon they know and which they don't without the dex.

So the three kids. First off, Heidi is adorbs! The Iris boy and kid that mixes up words are pretty funny, actually. I can't tell if these kids are the same age as or younger than Bonnie, but they're pretty entertaining. The perception they have of grown-ups is a bit odd, too, but Pikachu shock gag with Dedenne so who cares?! And they just scream Kids Next Door so I just gotta love them. I mean, they just up and stripped! And Bonnie has a Slowbro swimsuit. These kids are auto badasses~

I feel that these kids feel a lot more realistic, something I've said before about the XY series. It feels very believable that these kids could have the personalities they have and act they way they act. Heidi comes across as that one bratty girl character, but she actually is so sweet and caring towards Lapras. I honestly thought she mainly wanted the candy for herself, but she gave one out to everyone. Why do I like a kid COD so damn much?! DX

Anyway, damn Ash, be a little less harsh, don't tell the kids the damn thing's gonna die! It's nice to get some good backstory on why these kids don't trust adults, but I like even more that this also shows these kids really do like caring for and protecting Pokemon. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!

"You're making me crush!~" LOLZ! That was a legitimate answer, Iris boy! XD

So figures they need to do the politically correct thing and let Lapras go home~ Why does Team Rocket want this Lapras anyway? Did they ever even care about Ash's Lapras? No...seriously...I don't remember.

That motto...was win. I don't really know why they had James on the other end in the first place, but...I don't care.

"It works every time!" - Lapras Goon Squad. WHY WAS THAT SO COOL?!~ I don't even care that it doesn't makes sense, because it actually sort of does that the candy it likes would snap it out of confusion.

So Lapras goes back with its little Lapras friends. And the gang moves forward. I hope those weren't just words and we really will see these kids again. I really don't know why I liked them so much but I don't want them to leave! T^T Though, maybe the can go home now for dinner...9/10~

I need to start actually reviewing these episodes more.

GOOD POINTS
-The music. Just, the music. Whenever Lapras was involved, the music knew how to set the mood. It had some pretty good feeling to it, especially when Lapras wasn't feeling well.
-As one of my favourite Pokemon of all time, it's always nice to see Lapras involved. It makes for some sweet stories, and this is no exception.
-Kids in animation or anime can be very hit and miss, and Pokemon really isn't an exception to this. But as far as Heidi, Kye and Jay come about...it seems at first that they're going to be a miss, but the episode did go about giving a backstory as to not only how they found the Lapras, but why they don't trust grown-ups. This actually makes them rather likable because they're actually behaving, well, like kids.
-To be fair, anime dubs have done far worse in regards to the concept of death than simply rewording it. The amount I've seen that sidestep it completely is ridiculous. At least Ash hinted at it, rather than simply saying something like, "If you don't do something now, Lapras will go away and never come back" or something along those lines.
-Bonnie has a Slowbro swimsuit. Enough frickin' said.

NOT-SO-GOOD POINTS
-Whilst I commend Team Rocket for actually doing something worthwhile in this episode, and not simply "being there", I'm still finding them sort of grating. The rhyming everywhere outside their motto doesn't entirely help. But still, LOLZ at Inkay basically saying "screw R-P-S, if you're not gonna share, I'll eat it!"
-Jay just seemed...kinda pointless. Just there to correct Kye's statements. That was....kinda it.
-Speaking of pointless, there's Dedenne, again not really doing anything....I would rant, but other people have done that better, so....

So, yeah, a pretty good episode, only minor niggles, and a nice way to end the current dub-arch.

Waaaah! I don't want lapras to go to the ocean! Adults are dummies! Thats basically what the episode was about.

...did they...edit out a reference to death :confused:

Because when the they were talking about Lapras' condition and the kids got real upset, something felt suspicious...
(or am I just being paranoid?)

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom