• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY055: The Weakest Dragon! Numera Appears!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
The episode in which Numera helps Pikachu squeeze out of its cage by covering its body in slime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: "The Weakest Dragon! Numera Appears!!"

Nice episode all round. I really like that ending where Goomy closed its eyes and started panicing about Ash throwing the Pokeball at it - and then Ash just slowly moving towards it.

I'm a bit worried about the idea that it might evolve really quickly - because there looks like a lot of good backstory and fears to overcome, along with being the type that has previously been established as the hardest to train. Ash has a team full of interesting Pokemon now, I continue to hope that they find a way to balance them all yet still give Goomy a well paced story - Fletchinder is frustratingly falling into only appearing when a Team Rocket balloon needs popping.

I really enjoyed this Goomy, already resenting it for evolving too quickly. This line is a nightmare to train in the games. Ash should suffer just like me!
But overall great episode. Solid TR appearance, and Goomy interacted differently with a lot of characters. Afraid of Dedenne, buddies with Pikachu, getting back at Serena for a mean comment.

And the capture scene was great. Always thought it was mean to throw the Pokeball at the Pokémon that already wanted to be captured. Why hurt it? Just touch it and voila. Done!

This was a first for me when the eyes of Pikachu, Fletchinder, and Ash's were tired-looking and squinty during the battle with Team Rocket.

Last edited:
Goomy knows BIDE! AWESOME!

Since Goomy knows Rain Dance, does this mean:

A:Hydration Confirmed?
B:The need for Natural rain to evolve will not be needed by anime logic?

Since Goomy secreted some yellow-green goo,

Gooey Confirmed?

And will it learn Dragon Pulse or Outrage, or just Dragon Breath?

Anyway...

PRAISE LORD GOOMY! PRAISE IT NOW!

8.5/10
A Capture is automatically a 7, but lowering Fletchinder to Pidgeotto-type activity levels is an automatic docking of 1.5.

The other point is for the conformation of Fletchinder's fourth move...albeit it being Peck...

Oh nooo, not a Goomy of all Pokemon!!!:mad:

Why the hell does Ash always have to be the one to get the shy, or the weak, or the ugly Pokemon?? All three adjectives apply to Goomy and even the Pokedex calls it the weakest dragon-type ever...

I guess they're trying to do everything just to make me mad...

Goomy knows BIDE! AWESOME!

Since Goomy knows Rain Dance, does this mean:

A:Hydration Confirmed?
B:The need for Natural rain to evolve will not be needed by anime logic?

Since Goomy secreted some yellow-green goo,

Gooey Confirmed?

And will it learn Dragon Pulse or Outrage, or just Dragon Breath?

Anyway...

PRAISE LORD GOOMY! PRAISE IT NOW!

8.5/10
A Capture is automatically a 7, but lowering Fletchinder to Pidgeotto-type activity levels is an automatic docking of 1.5.

The other point is for the conformation of Fletchinder's fourth move...albeit it being Peck...

tbf, Fletchinder has aready gotten two gym wins by this point, and does a fourth move really matter when the other moves are already pretty solid?

Cuteness Overload! Goomy is just the cutest thing ever! (Well maybe not cutest ever, but he's pretty damn adorable)

I loved Goomy's rather unique entrance, but I'm still confused as to why he was being carried by a Swanna in the first place. Whatever, I love his adorable antics, from Chewing on people's ear to hitting Bonnie with his antennae for whatever reason. Even his voice is adorable. Oh, I also love how overly epic they made that scene of Ash bringing Goomy to the water.

Not surprised to see Chespin pop out his ball for no reason other than to get food. Then the little dick doesn't even help out when the Ariados he angered attacked them. Ugh. Anyway, at least Goomy had a hilarious reaction to that Ariados. Also loved Clemont's invention. Seriously, he built a device to see Pokemon's memories. This kid amazes me with his abilities.

Ignoring TR's antics, loved how Pikachu and Goomy worked together to get out of that trap. Ok, I get that this was an Ash episode, but did the others really need to be totally incapacitated during the fight. They just seemed so incompetent getting trapped by TR in the same way twice. Well, I did like how Pikachu and Fletchinder started fighting each other when they became confused. I was actually surprised to see Goomy jump in and save them by himself with Bide. The way he'd been played off like the scared cat, I figured they'd just have him do something to stop them from afar so that was nice.

So glad Ash caught Goomy. A cute Pokemon will be a nice mesh to the other cool ones imo. I can't wait to see more of him. I give this episode a 8/10.

Why the hell does Ash always have to be the one to get the shy, or the weak, or the ugly Pokemon?? All three adjectives apply to Goomy and even the Pokedex calls it the weakest dragon-type ever...

I guess they're trying to do everything just to make me mad...

Um.

It's going to fully evolve into a badass Goodra, a psuedo legendary one of the BST stronger Pokemon of the 6th generation (not counting legendaries).

Goomy took 4 attacks from both Pumpkaboo and Inkay, absorbed them and then fired a massive attack that looked like it disintegrated the opponents even though they were fine.

And Goomy is adorable and cute, how is it ugly?

Numera is adorable and its voice made it even more so (I don't understand anyone who calls it ugly). I am so glad it's in the main cast. And it has been confirmed Numera will evolve all the way, so you people who wanted Satoshi with a pseudo-legendary can finally rejoice. The writers wouldn't have Satoshi stuck with a weak Pokémon anyway.

I'm surprised, I thought Queen Cynthia always wanted Satoshi to have a pseudo legendary. He had a Fukamaru, a pre evolved form of one, but he never evolved. Now Satoshi owns the cute (some people think those green circles are its eyes, it's the black dots) Numera and this time it will be evolving fully, Satoshi will have a Numerugon, his first fully evolved Dragon and pseudo legend. And from the intro, it seems Numerugon will be a kick-ass Pokémon.

Even though Numera is weak, when it used Bide it was so epic that you swear it just vaporized Maiika and Bakeccha. Seriously, that looks like when someone in Dragon Ball Z gets vaporized, thus killed, by a blast.

Last edited:
I seriously thought Ash would get a grass type before a dragon type like Goomy. I'm beginning to wonder if this will be the first region he clears without a grass type and the full starter triangle.

And Ash seriously? Are you such a weak trainer that you have to friendship catch to get new pokemon? You've only bested one of your pokemon in battle and it was the one that every new trainer catches fresh out of the lab.

That's hardly 'weak'. Pokemon are sentient beings, they chose their partners as much as they chose them. Satoshi doesn't need to challenge Pokemon to battles to inspire them to want to be his sword and shield.

I always thought the Pokemon the fans liked the most were the ones that Ash befriended and allowed him to capture them.

Goomy was much funnier than I though, I imagined it as a boring slimy unfunny Pokemon to watch, I thought I was going to get bored of seeing it. I was quite surprised that it was funny and hilarious to watch. Didn't find it weak at all. Loved Goomy in the anime.

Rest of the episode where Goomy wasn't present - found it more on the boring side, just waited for Goomy to appear again. The 3 main Pokemon I love the most didn't even made a quick cameo. No cute Fennekin, no hilarious Pancham, no awesomeness of Luxio.

I almost forgot, my favorite arachnid Pokemon was in the episode. Ariados.

I know I will watch it again, but not that often. 6 out of 10 for me, Goomy & Ariados gave it the 6 points.

It was awesome seeing Bide and Rain Dance in the anime.

I was expecting Beedrils to come out of that tree but surprise! It's Ariados! Lol

Cannot wait to see more of Goomy/Numera next week!

That's hardly 'weak'. Pokemon are sentient beings, they chose their partners as much as they chose them. Satoshi doesn't need to challenge Pokemon to battles to inspire them to want to be his sword and shield.

It just bugs me that he caught yet another pokemon without really doing much. Sure he saved it by beating team rocket but he does that pretty much every episode and let's face it beating up TR isn't much of an accomplishment since he's done it hundreds of times. It also kinda undermines how most trainers catch pokemon by defeating it in battle with careful planning and strategy. It just feels cheap to me that Ash is getting another free pokemon for little work because of his god-like charisma (which if you did it in a fanfic with an OC you'd have thousands crucifying your character for being a mary sue). Considering that Goomy is going to evolve into Goodra (and quickly by the looks of it) it worries me that this will be like Iris' Dragonite all over again and we all remember what happened that time.

I always thought the Pokemon the fans liked the most were the ones that Ash befriended and allowed him to capture them.

Not with most people I know. Then again they take game logic far more seriously than I do. It's fine once or twice but this makes it the third time he's done it in this season.

It just bugs me that he caught yet another pokemon without really doing much. Sure he saved it by beating team rocket but he does that pretty much every episode and let's face it beating up TR isn't much of an accomplishment since he's done it hundreds of times. It also kinda undermines how most trainers catch pokemon by defeating it in battle with careful planning and strategy. It just feels cheap to me that Ash is getting another free pokemon for little work because of his god-like charisma (which if you did it in a fanfic with an OC you'd have thousands crucifying your character for being a mary sue). Considering that Goomy is going to evolve into Goodra (and quickly by the looks of it) it worries me that this will be like Iris' Dragonite all over again and we all remember what happened that time.

Not with most people I know. Then again they take game logic far more seriously than I do. It's fine once or twice but this makes it the third time he's done it in this season.

Who ever said you need to battle a pokemon to catch it?

Brute strength isn't always the answer.

The problem with using game logic is that beating a Pokémon to weaken it in order to capture it kinda makes sense from a gameplay perspective since there are many Pokémon in the wilds that can either be used for training targets or potential companions. But in the anime, that kind of method would look cruel and unnecessary unless the Pokémon in question wants you to battle and catch it to prove your worth, or is the aggressor in the situation (Fletchling, Primeape, Snorlax, and Pidgeotto come to mind). Considering that Goomy consider is even afraid of the Poké Ball being thrown at it, I think it would be very cruel for Ash to simply battle and weaken it for capture. Maybe for an aggressive wild Pokémon that is strong and unafraid to engage in battle.

Although I'm not fond of weak-Pokemon which are captured by Ash, I really really liked Goomy. Pretty decent personality traits for the intro episode. I loved the use of Rain Dance. Also my anticipation about Goomy knowing Bide was spot on! :-D:-D (You can see it on the 1st page of the preview thread.)
For some reason, the confusion that Inkay's psybeam caused was way too obvious. When you're watching the scene, you know what's about to happen.
TRio was useful with not many logical mistakes, IMO.

I hope Goomy won't be evolving under a circumstance led by TRio where the evolution is the only solution. I hope Goomy will evolve on will rather than a necessity.

I'd prefer Garchomp over Goodra for me or for Ash to have. But this Goomy is pretty decent. I probably won't be upset with it.

The problem with using game logic is that beating a Pokémon to weaken it in order to capture it kinda makes sense from a gameplay perspective since there are many Pokémon in the wilds that can either be used for training targets or potential companions. But in the anime, that kind of method would look cruel and unnecessary unless the Pokémon in question wants you to battle and catch it to prove your worth, or is the aggressor in the situation (Fletchling, Primeape, Snorlax, and Pidgeotto come to mind). Considering that Goomy consider is even afraid of the Poké Ball being thrown at it, I think it would be very cruel for Ash to simply battle and weaken it for capture. Maybe for an aggressive wild Pokémon that is strong and unafraid to engage in battle.

I strongly agree with this but I do have one concern.

Now I very much agree, that Pokemon is far more realistic in the games and therefore actually have personalities, and therefore you can't argue battling to capture a Pokemon makes sense simply because of the "games"

The method of capture ALWAYS depends on the actual Pokemon itself and the circumstances surrounding it's capture.

Goomy being caught the way it did makes sense for Goomy's personality and the circumstances.

Likewise Ash capturing Palpitoad in 5th generation by battling it, makes sense given the circumstances.

However the one thing that I will say is disappointing is that most captures are not battle captures, and assuming Ash doesn't use "Pikachu" it is a little disappointing that some Pokemon don't get some kind of battling experience battling said Pokemon Ash is going to catch. So there is that to consider.

At least with Hawlucha Ash actually battled and then later caught Hawlucha because Hawlucha wanted to go to Ash.

So there was nothing wrong with the way Ash caught Goomy because it made sense. It was a weak (well not really weak but fragile), scared Pokemon, so battling as already said would have been extremely cruel.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom