• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY056: Do Your Best, Dedenne! Do it for Numera!!

Re: XY056: Dedenne Does Its Best! All for Goomy!!

OT: Seriously tho, why are threads not being made when the episode ends or even hours after that. It's been happening for months now, I'm curious.

Last edited:

Awesome adorable episode.

First off, I'm so glad that there was no instance of Pancham fighting with Chespin and overall no dickish behavior from Chespin in this episode. I really hope they stop the fights all together, but I don't really see it happening. I'll just hope for as few fights as possible. I'm also really liking Pancham more and more. He really is very kind and helpful. I love how not only did he carry Goomy on his head, but he gave him a leaf to make him feel better and took him off his head just before he was about to battle TR. And my gosh, Goomy chewing on Pancham's ear was so damn cute!

Serena and Bonnie vs. TR was so awesome. I didn't expect Bonnie to participate that much, but I'm sure glad she did. She and Dedenne are great together and I really hope the 2 of them battle more in times like this. Serena and Pancham were pretty amazing as well. She really is improving at battling. Only thing that kinda bothered me was Dedenne using Nuzzle to cure Pancham of confusion and there being no paralysis effect afterwards.

I love how much focus Dedenne got and how much he wanted to find Goomy. He needs more episodes like this. Jessie was such a b*tch stepping on Goomy like that. Glad that he used Rain Dance on her since she deserved it, but I hope later on when he fully evolves he ends up giving them a massive blast off for revenge. Also Dedenne protecting Goomy was awesome. His resilience impressed me. And to make things even better, Bunnelby was used to help save them. Actually, speaking of Bunnelby, where the hell did he go? He wasn't with Ash and Clemont and their other Pokemon after they got separated, nor was he with any other separated group, and then he just appears here with them. (Unless I seriously missed something)

Finally that last scene with Goomy and Dedenne was only the cutest thing ever. Glad they're friends now.

Overall really great episode. Bonnie, Serena, Pancham, and especially Goomy and Dedenne really shined. 8/10.

Last edited:

Bonnie commanded Dedenne to use attacks during her and Serena's battle against TRio.

Where is Officer Jenny at a time like this? Bonnie doesn't have a Trainer License.

Speaking of Serena, it is good to see her and Pancham finally battle.

• Staff

First off, very happy that this episode confirmed by earlier predictions of Pancham's moves being Arm Thrust and Stone Edge (rather than Karate Chop and Rock Etc. like most others stated).

Secondly, I really enjoyed this episode! While simple in plot and execution, we had some pretty notable events going on!

~Serena battling Team Rocket. This is first time that she's taken on TR by herself, with her Pancham no less, and she did pretty well! Although I think she commanded Pancham to dodge just a bit excessively before...

~Bonnie and Dedenne join the fray! Seriously this was the episode highlight for me. For once, Ash takes the back seat and the girls are able to shine. Serena and Bonnie (and Bonnie commanding moves was so adorable!) had pretty great synergy and this battle allowed Dedenne to show off its rarely witnessed battle prowess. Dedenne's second battle with TR was also impressive; I didn't know its endurance was so high. I just wish the gang would have seen it battle (its kind of vague how much they witnessed).

~Pancham's interactions with Goomy were cute.

~Hawlucha is still a HAM.

~Dedenne bonding with Goomy was also a delight to see. I'm glad Goomy was able to get over its fear of fairy types, if not at least realize that not all fairy types are inherently bad/mean. I do wish it would have battled alongside Dedenne though...and apparently Goomy's trauma is a bit more severe than I originally thought. I look forward to its characterization in the future.

~Upsetting the usual mellow Lotad and Lombre was also something different. What exactly were they firing at, though?

Initially I had second thoughts about this ep, but I actually really liked it.

Just to confirm, Yancham's Rock-type move was a redesigned Stone Edge, right?

This is a really adorable episode!

I love how Serena takes the initiative by protecting Bonnie and battling Team Rocket on her own with Pancham. I seriously love their sisterly relationship. I also love how Bonnie stepped in after Dedenne snapped Pancham out of confusion.

I also love how Dedenne wasn't being lazy or sleeping in crucial moments in this episode. I love how Dedenne wanted to become friends with Goomy to the point that it protected it from Team Rocket without its Trainer.

The ending with Goomy nibbling on Dedenne's ears made me get cavities on how sweet it was.

If I were to rate this episode, it would be a 9/10.

Only thing that kinda bothered me was Dedenne using Nuzzle to cure Pancham of confusion and there being no paralysis effect afterwards.

If you look at the Serena and Bonnie double battle, Nuzzle usually makes Dedenne rub its cheeks and when in contact, there are hearts when Dedenne comes in contact with the Pokemon. I think Dedenne either used a lighter version of Nuzzle since it also used it at the end of the episode when it became friends with Goomy or it was just something Dedenne used that isn't Nuzzle in order to snap Pancham out of confusion.

Just to confirm, Yancham's Rock-type move was a redesigned Stone Edge, right?

Yes, it's a redesigned Stone Edge.

Last edited:

I think we all know who the real star of this episode was XD I fucking love Serena's Pancham! All of his interactions with Goomy were just adorable! I can't forget about Goomy and Dedenne also who does get major props! Very solid episode and it was nice to see Serena and Bonnie doing stuff!

A great episode with few issues;
- I didn't like the fact that Bonnie commanded an attack.
- Fennekin's screen-time was absolutely unnecessary.
- I couldn't understand what Fletchinder did in the scene which it, Frodagier and Hawlucha greeted Goomy.

The good points have been already explained.

8.5 / 10

What's wrong with Eureka commanding an attack? It doesn't take a genius to battle with Pokemon, especially when the Pokemon one is commanding should know when to drop one's pride and work together with a partner to defeat a threat.

What's wrong with Eureka commanding an attack? It doesn't take a genius to battle with Pokemon, especially when the Pokemon one is commanding should know when to drop one's pride and work together with a partner to defeat a threat.

I agree. Better than having her awkwardly standing around and saying nothing.

YES!!!!! Bonnie commanded Dedenne <3!!!!! I have been waiting and hoping :). I really couldn't care less about Goomy, this episode was all about Dedenne to me. The only thing that would of made it better was the 4th move reveal but I'll take what I can get.

Also lmfao at all the move failures. Pancham being effected by Psybeam multiple times was a little hard to believe.

Are you all forgetting the fact that Eureka used Dedenne in battle during the Diancie movie? It used Nuzzle against Riot's Gekkouga.

Didn't Max command a few Pokemon during the Advanced Generation saga? I don't recall anyone having a problem with that. Besides, you can't even really say Max has his own Pokemon...it may not technically be hers, but Bonnie practically owns Dedenne, so I don't see the issue.

Also....
Also lmfao at all the move failures. Pancham being effected by Psybeam multiple times was a little hard to believe.

Why is it hard to believe? Psychic is Super-Effective against Fighting. The only people who think otherwise are the guys who made the Pokemon Trainer Choices, who made that mistake numerous times.

This is the second time recently that a Pokemon has become confused from Ma'iika's attack, too. I'm glad this is being brought up more often. This is the best use of the Rocket Gang in years. It'll be nice if the battles with the Rocket Gang can continue to be at least this intense. Heck, bring back the mechanical upgrades to their Pokemon to up the tension!

Didn't Max command a few Pokemon during the Advanced Generation saga? I don't recall anyone having a problem with that. Besides, you can't even really say Max has his own Pokemon...it may not technically be hers, but Bonnie practically owns Dedenne, so I don't see the issue.

Also....

Why is it hard to believe? Psychic is Super-Effective against Fighting. The only people who think otherwise are the guys who made the Pokemon Trainer Choices, who made that mistake numerous times.

Pancham is pure Fighting. Now when it evolves, then it gains the Dark type which would make your point valid.

Whoops, sorry guys, I completely forgot he was pure fighting lol. I think Dark Pulse threw me off :p.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom