• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP02: When Light and Dark Collide!

Re: S18 EP02 "When Dark And Light Collide!"

Pretty cool episode with an interesting premise.

First off, I can totally see Ash's error. I mean, practicing for a play in the middle of a walking path with no one person in visible sight. I might be fooled too. And damn Gallade's injury looked painful. I was surprised to see them put a Pokemon on crutches, though. I really didn't expect that, especially since we've seen worse injuries than this.

I was so glad to see that it was Bonnie who suggested that Ash have his Hawlucha participate in the play. Though at the same time, I thought it would have been interesting and totally understandable if the director forced Ash to have one of his Pokemon act to make up for the fact that he injured one of his actors. But whatever. The practice acting scene was pretty funny and I really liked Hawlucha and Dark Hawlucha's personalities being shown off. I love how Hawlucha didn’t get the concept of acting.

I thought that was cool that Dark Hawlucha used to be a former champion as well and that it made his rivalry with Hawlucha more interesting. Adding to other things I didn't expect was Ash battle scene training with Hawlucha. Seriously, not even a Pokemon, but Ash himself. Moving on to the play, I thought it was cool they the Hawlucha took out TR with that combo attack. Love how Bonnie told TR not to motto.

And now for that final fight scene. It was awesome. The fact that they changed the scene to a wrestling ring just made it all the more awesome. I honestly couldn't tell who'd really win at one point, though I guess the script did call for Shining Hawlucha to win. Shining Hawlucha's combos also were much better than Dark Hawlucha's if you ask me.

Overall, I'd say this was a good one. The only scene I really disliked was the one with TR, but even that came with a cool double Hawlucha combo. 8/10.

Okay, so first thing... why didn't the director say anything before the gang started "protecting" the Snubbull? It is nice seeing a Snubbull again though.

Love the design of this Pokemon Center. Nice and wooden.

Oh my god. A facepalming Gallade. I need a .gif of that as soon as possible. Also, they couldn't have had Ash use a Pokemon other than Hawlucha, knowing it hates losing, especially on purpose? Come on.

Man, the Team Rocket theme and moto was especially great this episode.

"Pumpkaboo, on stage!"? Is May back?

The audience chants during the fight sequence were... weird...

All in all, an interesting episode.

Is it bad that I cheered when Pikachu got taken down? :uhoh:

Thought I commented here

Anyway it ended up being a decent episode, though I thought it took a while to get into it

I liked that Hawlucha didn't wanna lose even if it wasn't real fighting (like WWE)

Last edited:
Re: S18 EP02 "When Dark And Light Collide!"

And damn Gallade's injury looked painful. I was surprised to see them put a Pokemon on crutches, though. I really didn't expect that, especially since we've seen worse injuries than this.
Is this the first time we've seen a Pokemon suffer a relatively long-term injury? Also with the Dark Hawlucha, I'm pretty sure it's the first time we've seen a Pokemon who suffered a permanent injury.

I love how Hawlucha didn’t get the concept of acting.

I thought that was cool that Dark Hawlucha used to be a former champion as well and that it made his rivalry with Hawlucha more interesting.
Yeah and it makes sense too. Ash's Hawlucha was like, "Why pretend to fight when you can just fight for real?" It may not have understood acting, but it can definitely understand pride, so when it learned that those fake battles were a matter of pride for Dark Hawlucha, that's when it found something it could relate to and figured out how to do it. I liked that touch.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom