• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP08: One for the Goomy!

Awesome episode. (Also seriously. After however long it’s been of only having Ash on the title card, when they finally change it again they have Bonnie instead of Dedenne. Eh, whatever; she is closely associated with Dedenne after all.)

First off, I'm so glad that there was no instance of Pancham fighting with Chespin and overall no dickish behavior from Chespin in this episode. I really hope they stop the fights all together, but I don't really see it happening. I'll just hope for as few fights as possible. I'm also really liking Pancham more and more. He really is very kind and helpful. I love how not only did he carry Goomy on his head, but he gave him a leaf to make him feel better and took him off his head just before he was about to battle TR. And my gosh, Goomy chewing on Pancham's ear was so damn cute!

Serena and Bonnie vs. TR was so awesome. I didn't expect Bonnie to participate that much, but I'm sure glad she did. She and Dedenne are great together and I really hope the 2 of them battle more in times like this. Serena and Pancham were pretty amazing as well. She really is improving at battling. Only thing that kinda bothered me was Dedenne using Nuzzle to cure Pancham of confusion and there being no paralysis effect afterwards. Seriously, is there going to be a new habit of utterly random/stupid things breaking Pokemon from confusion now? First candy, then croissant, now attack that’s supposed to paralyze, but is now curing confusion. Sorry, that’s just something that’s been annoying me.

I love how much focus Dedenne got and how much he wanted to find Goomy. He needs more episodes like this. Jessie was such a b*tch stepping on Goomy like that. Glad that he used Rain Dance on her since she deserved it, but I hope later on when he gets stronger he ends up giving them a massive blast off for revenge. How the hell is Ash going to tell Fletchinder to look for Goomy by “those” rocks? He didn’t even see the rocks Serena and Bonnie were talking about.

Also Dedenne protecting Goomy was awesome. His resilience impressed me. And to make things even better, Bunnelby was used to help save them. Actually, speaking of Bunnelby, where the hell did he go? He wasn't with Ash and Clemont and their other Pokemon after they got separated, nor was he with any other separated group, and then he just appears here with them. (Unless I seriously missed something).

Finally that last scene with Goomy and Dedenne was only the cutest thing ever. Glad they're friends now.

Overall really great episode. Bonnie, Serena, Pancham, and especially Goomy and Dedenne really shined. 8/10.

To be fair, this is a world where Pokemon can be cured of being poisoned, paralyzed, frozen or set on fire meerly by eating berries. I think at this stage questioning the realism of these oddities is going to throw up more oddities. ^^;

Finally Dedenne stops being a background character who pops out at random times to say "enne".

Also, yay, title card focus on someone besides Ash! I really don't care that they changed it from Dedenne to Bonnie, since Bonnie had a major role as well.

That artwork of Goomy and Dedenne at the end...so adorable.

Tom Wayland's Goomy is cute, but a little annoying at times.

Seriously, TRio blasted off three times? 7.8/10 too much Team--OK no.

I was surprised Bonnie interrupted Meowth's explanation of how he learned to talk. It's like the writers knew everyone knew the story.

So this is the apparently required "everyone gets split up" episode that's done a few times with every generation. Unfortunately, the more it's done, the harder it is to put an original spin on things.

Having Pikachu and Dedenne use their electricity to home in on each other was a surprisingly clever idea--until they blew it by having Bonnie and Serena listen to Meowth's bull instead of letting Dedenne do its thing. You'd think they'd know better than to trust Meowth, who's both their enemy and a known liar.

So Wobbuffet remembered that it knew Counter and Mirror Coat, albeit temporarily. And Goomy forgot about bide. I was honestly expecting that to come into play during the final battle, with Dedenne taking all those hits from Inkay and Pumpkaboo. I figured that Goomy would jump in and use Bide to both protect Dedenne (thus returning the favor) and blast the TRio. Too bad every character on this show seems to have intermittent memory problems.

One thing I get out of this episode - Jessie's voice actor really does quite a good job and can be really natural in the role, only to be constantly stifled by really bad dialogue in a lot of episodes. The angry response to Goomy making it rain felt natural, which makes a contrast to a lot of episodes where they just seem wooden because they are just doing cheesy rhymes.

I don't think I'm spoiling things by saying that Jessie has a lot of episodes coming up that lets her personality show - and one that will be either really enjoyable or awful based on her performance, there were elements of this episode that makes me hope the dub can do a good job of those.

I like Bonnie doing the title screen, and finally popping up in the intro sequence rather than Ash. Hopefully they keep using the episode relevant ones and...
also update it and the opening for Serena's new design. I didn't realise how much I'd gotten used to it - seems so strange watching the dub episodes now

There's a little bit too much 'L' in how they are voicing Goomy - it sounds like 'glue, glue, gloooooomy' to me. Though the sound of it more generally is exactly right.

I didn't really like this episode.
Not only was it one of those generic "the group gets split up and has to work together with the enemy" that we've already seen countless times before (Please, writers, come up with some new ideas now!) but it also felt kind of slow-paced if you know what I mean. It somehow was a dragging, repetitive plot that lacked action although it had a lot of battle scenes. But even these battles were animated rather boringly.

I don't know...for some reason it seems to be an unwritten rule in X/Y that if Ash isn't the leading character, an episode automatically becomes boring. I think it's mainly due to Serena being still very inexperienced, Clemont being...well what exactly?... and Bonnie being so childish that she constantly destroys an otherwise good episode. (No, I still don't like her.)

Well, others may like it but I consider this episode a pretty unnecessary filter that doesn't have to be analyzed further.
Let's wait for next week's adventure :)

Why didn't they all jump out? would've solved everything.

What's with this Dues Ex Machia shit with the electricity?

Someone would've had a great view when Serena was talking to the Pokemon...

Meowth DOES translate electricity. At least he did in 2000...

Whilst they all should've lost well before (and Pancham should've been paralysed) that was a great battle

They didn't even tell Fltechinder where the rocks were

Dat copy/pasted thunderbolt and blast off

Good development for Goomy, now to stop being a pussy

Decent episode but eh would've like more accomplished

Did anyone else notice Bunnelby disappear? Only to reappear at the end as if he was there the whole time :O

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom