• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP14: The Future Is Now, Thanks to Determination!

I thought this was an ok episode. I'm also just noticing that they hadn't changed the dub title card to reflect Serena's new design. Not surprising really.

I like how they had Clemont flashing back at the beginning of the episode about Ash's brave feats and battle skills. I surprised that Clemont doubts that he’s able to give Ash a good battle. And damn his expression after the flashback was over was epic. He looked like he was in a trance. I loved how he called Bonnie "Bon". That was cute.

I wasn't too happy about a mind control plot right after they had a similar element in the last episode. Then of course we have Ash's cliche'd "break Pikachu free with friendship" thing. At least Clemont had some time to shine when he did the same thing with Luxio since its not as expected with him. I loved when he took the opportunity to disrupt the hypnotic effects with his Aipom Arm. And I especially adored how Luxio evolved with Clemont on his back. Funniest evolution ever:) But seriously, WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO LUXRAY'S VOICE?! He used to sound so majestic and bad ass, now he sounds so...weird.

The only real issue I had with this episode was kind of similar to my problem with Froakie's evolution episode. There really wasn't very much focus on Luxio himself until right before he evolved. And what makes it even worse here is that Luxio has barley done anything of importance since his capture. Then there was Luxio being out of its Pokeball randomly, which was obviously done so he'd get effected by the mind control, but still. I just kinda bothered me with how random it was.

The ending totally caught me off guard though. I never would have expected Clemont to leave the group to go train for the gym battle. I was surprised that he didn't take Bonnie along with him. Not that I would have wanted Bonnie to leave, but I would have expected him to want to keep her with him to ensure her safety with how much he worries about her. Though I loved Bonnie's expression during this scene and how Clemont asked Serena to watch her, I would have liked Bonnie and Clemont's "farewell" to be a bit more...endearing. I mean, with all the time they've been together, I would have thought that Bonnie would have been at least a bit more sad in a serious manner rather than the humorous way it was presented.

Overall, pretty good episode. I'll give it a 7/10.

Disappointed they used Ash for that title card - you'd think using Clemont's catch phrase would be enough to decide to use him for it. But positively surprised by the use of the instrumental version of the opening theme during the episode - they should use it more often.

Not much to say outside that. It's a repetitive plot, and I'd rather have heard a bit more about how Clemont programmed a damn powerstation, rather than flashbacks to Clemont's memories of Ash.

Why is the time he burned the food the one time where the Pokemon got people food instead of the brown pallets? Besides, he was cooking one pancake in a pan, why were all of them burnt?

I thought this was an ok episode. I'm also just noticing that they hadn't changed the dub title card to reflect Serena's new design. Not surprising really.

If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be they won't do that until they decide on when the next "season" is.

The dub has been throwing allot of curve balls in XY recently, firstly giving Dunsparce an English voice in XY 59 and now giving Luxray a new voice actor. In this case Clemont's Luxray is listed as being voiced by Billy Bob Thompson where as the species was previously voiced by Sarah Natochenny way back in Diamond and Pearl. I like Billy's take on Luxray. The dub of this episode was okay, but nothing spectacular.

So did a non-native English speaker come up with this episode's title or what?

"The Future Is Now, Thanks To Determination!" sounds awfully Engrish-y.

So did a non-native English speaker come up with this episode's title or what?

"The Future Is Now, Thanks To Determination!" sounds awfully Engrish-y.

Well, that is similar to a line that he uses in the anime and the games.

"The future is now, thanks to science!".

That doesn't make it sound any less clunky.

I kind of get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's that clunky. "Science" and "Determination" are both nouns, so if this episode title sounds weird, then I guess the original saying should be considered weird as well. And if you don't consider the original saying to be clunky, then how is this title any different? Since the title comes from one of Clemont's sayings, I think it's okay, because of how similar they both are.

Great episode and undoubtedly the best one of all those that have recently aired! I totally loved it.:bounce:

First, we had an interesting and exciting framework plot, not just the all too well-known COTD-scheme.
Also, I found it great that not just Ash but also other main characters, in this case Clemont, got a chance to contribute with their personal strengths and skills.
Some might call it a cliche-like thing but still, I loved the climax when first Ash and then Clemont acted so bravely to save their friends. Yes, it might already have been in previous episodes and movies but I think these scenes are so extremely inspiring that you simply can't get enough of them. As far as I'm concerned, I was deeply touched and impressed. And to be honest with you, it's moments like this one that made me a Pokemon fan and made me love this show many many years ago!
And if that weren't enough, we got a really unexpected ending with Clemont temporarily leaving our group to prepare for the great showdown. An awesome idea!

Today, I have nothing else to add because I'm totally happy with the episode. Keep it up, writers!

I think after 800 episodes, some people are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that the anime is going to recycle their "cliché's" like Ash and Pikachu's bond being stronger than any mind control LOL I mean, in a kid friendly show there's only so many crimes that the bad guys can do. If the show was oriented towards young adults like Naruto, I'd expect a lot more variety in crimes and maybe some more risqué situations, but this is a great episode for what it is. Which again is a children's show. LOL

I absolutely hate the title, though. But that's mostly because I hate Clemont's catchphrase.

But yeah, this episode was cute. And I love Luxray a lot, so I'm partial to it as a species.

Playerking said:
"Science" and "Determination" are both nouns, so if this episode title sounds weird, then I guess the original saying should be considered weird as well.

Well, yeah.

I mean it's like if someone said looked at a really skinny person and said "she's nothing but bones and skin." Grammatically what they're saying is correct but it's not a sentence any native English speaker would ever produce. Same with this episode's title.

It's not a big deal or anything. Just something I noticed.

Grammatically what they're saying is correct but it's not a sentence any native English speaker would ever produce.

In all honestly this could be said about pretty much 95% of the dub's dialogue (especially Team Rocket's).

Pretty good episode for Clemont, although I think the "Ash is so awesome!" flashback sequence at the start was a bit much. lol.

Pretty good episode for Clemont, although I think the "Ash is so awesome!" flashback sequence at the start was a bit much. lol.

I noticed that 'ASH IS SO AWESOME' thing too! It was a bit... out of place... and just... meh. I'd rather have that kind of flashback thing spread throughout the entire episode instead of having one short burst of 'ASH IS AMAZING'. Overall, this episode was fine though.

Did anyone notice a size discrepancy with Luxray? First Clemont was tiny compared to him, then Luxray seemed to become smaller all of a sudden just so Clemont could get off him!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom