• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S18 EP20: Garchomp's Mega Bond!

It's a rather odd premise that they got to that point before confirming what type of mega stone that was - the contraption seems particularly unnecessary - especially if it involves getting the relevant Pokemon to stand next to the machine to make sure the waves align.

Interesting too that the dialogue confirmed that only fully evolved Pokemon can Mega Evolve - assuming the dub aligned with the original on that point. I'd have expected him to either not know or be non-committal on answering that. Based on the explanation of it being a Pokemon releasing all of their potential, I don't see how that necessarily excludes Pokemon that haven't fully evolved.

I wouldn't expect them to go down that route - but I'm surprised they were willing to directly state that, without at least a 'my research suggests...' at the start. Though a minor plot hole in the anime isn't going to stop the games doing that if they run out of ideas elsewhere.

Otherwise it's a fairly dull episode - one that could really have happened without Ash and the others. I'm certainly glad mega evolution mostly gets deferred to those side story episodes I can ignore.

Ok episode I guess. Got to see another Megalution.

I loved how Alain was shown in the flashbacks and how Sycamore mentioned him when they were looking at the Garchompite. Also, what the hell caused Gabite to evolve. She just picked up Psyduck and BAM evolution. WTH? Also, I love how when TR came and stole the stones, Clemont was like "Ash throw this", and Ash threw it and later said, "Hey what did I throw?" That was so hilarious. I mean, I guess Ash does usually act first and ask questions later. I also liked how Bonnie told Clemont to forget about his scientific explanation and stuff after his invention blew up. So overall there were a lot of little funny moments.

I was surprised to see Blaziken Man show up and save the day. I thought it was weird how the Mega evolving scene seemed to imply that James's Key Stone had an effect on evolving Garchomp, even though you must have a strong bond with the Pokemon for it to Megavolve. (Anime wise I mean, since ya know, anyone can Megavolve anything in the games.) I loved the part where Garchomp went to nuzzle Sycamore's hand. I thought that was cute. My favorite part of the episode was Sycamore figuring out that Meyer was Blaziken Man. Also, I love (read: thought it was weird) how Ash congratulated Pikachu after the blast off and said he was so amazing when that was literally the only thing he did and he was assisted by Garchomp and Blaziken.

Overall, it was an ok episode. Not that bad, but not too interesting either. 6.8/10.

Unique episode.

So I guess this episode deconfirms that Mega Pikachu is ever going to happen. I mean, we all knew it wouldn't, but at least we have a clear-cut answer that only fully evolved Pokémon can Mega Evolve.

Nice to see Alain in the main series; can't wait for that inevitable crossover!

The music that played during Sycamore's first flashback about Gible was beautiful. I believe it also played in XY063. Is it dub music? Because if so, props to Ed Goldfarb.

I also like Sycamore's little letimotif that's been playing since XY002. Pretty sure that's dub-only.

If they're going to keep replacing the music, they're definitely doing it right.

I've really been looking forward to this episode because Garchomp is by far my most favorite non-legendary (or better: pseudo-legendary) Pokemon, so it was about time that we got to see its Mega Evolution (apart from its short appearance in the first Mega Evolution-Special where we didn't really see much).

The best part in my eyes was the fact that Garchomp bravely resisted those mind-control waves and refused to mega-evolve. I was both happy and relieved that they chose to do it this way because it was totally consistent with what has been said about Mega Evolution so far, namely that Trainers and Pokemon need an extremely close bond in order for the Pokemon to mega-evolve. I mean, Mega-Garchomp is one of the greatest things the Pokemon World has ever come up with, so it simply doesn't feel right if TRio would have gotten one.

Also, it was heart-warming how Sycamore cared for Garchomp and fought with all he's got to get control over his friend again. Simply perfect! If I had a Garchomp, I would react exactly the same way, so I can truly understand how the professor felt.

And finally, Mega-Garchomp was just marvelous! Great design paired with a badass, frightening, deep voice.... Perfect, simply perfect!:bounce: At least when it comes to my favorite Pokemon, they did everything right!
And although I have to admit that Sycamore's Garchomp sounded a bit strange (a little bit like a dog) compared to what we know from Cynthia's Garchomp, Mega-Garchomp's voice was just incredible! :unworthy:

Today, I'm overjoyed. There's nothing more to add.

.... except maybe: What's so marvelous about motor oil?

Was a pretty pointless episode but I liked the back story bonding we got to see from Sycamore and Gible.

I loved how Alain was shown in the flashbacks and how Sycamore mentioned him when they were looking at the Garchompite. Also, what the hell caused Gabite to evolve. She just picked up Psyduck and BAM evolution. WTH?

I sort of assumed it had something to do with her caring for another Pokemon. Sort of like she improved her personality/character, so accordingly she evolved. I cried when that happened because I assumed that the reason I listed was why she evolved and it really touched me, but I definitely get what you are saying.

It's a rather odd premise that they got to that point before confirming what type of mega stone that was - the contraption seems particularly unnecessary - especially if it involves getting the relevant Pokemon to stand next to the machine to make sure the waves align.
That's not what happened at all. Garchomp merely approached out of curiosity. It wanted to know what that little shiny round thing was.

I loved how Alain was shown in the flashbacks and how Sycamore mentioned him when they were looking at the Garchompite. Also, what the hell caused Gabite to evolve. She just picked up Psyduck and BAM evolution. WTH?
So you've forgotten the dozens of times we've seen Pokemon evolve simply because they were ready? You also seem to be assuming that it was a quick trip from Gible to Garchomp. There was no indication of how long it lived as a Gabite.

Last edited:
That's not what happened at all. Garchomp merely approached out of curiosity. It wanted to know what that little shiny round thing was.
Yes, and then the 'synchroniser' reacted and they were able to confirm it as Garchompite. If it didn't require Garchomp to be there, what was it reacting to?

So you've forgotten the dozens of times we've seen Pokemon evolve simply because they were ready? You also seem to be assuming that it was a quick trip from Gible to Garchomp. There was no indication of how long it lived as a Gabite.

Geez, all I'm saying is I thought it was weird how they depicted her evolution like that. I didn't assume anything about how long she'd been a Gabite.

Yes, and then the 'synchroniser' reacted and they were able to confirm it as Garchompite. If it didn't require Garchomp to be there, what was it reacting to?
How do you know the synchronizer wouldn't have identified it anyway if Garchomp wasn't there?

Geez, all I'm saying is I thought it was weird how they depicted her evolution like that. I didn't assume anything about how long she'd been a Gabite.
OK fair enough, but we've still seen that kind of thing lots of times before.

How do you know the synchronizer wouldn't have identified it anyway if Garchomp wasn't there?
Well the alternative is that the machine has synthesised the wavelength of every Pokemon and can generate that in order to check if the stone is in sync with it and that the machine conveniently tested for Garchomp right when Garchomp walked up to it.

Mega Evolution needs the three things - the machine only visibly took two of the inputs, a Key Stone and a Mega Stone. That's enough to prove that it is a mega stone - but there would have to be some means of adding the input for the various Pokemon to test the third requirement of achieving Mega Evolution, having a Pokemon that matches it.

Even if it could, the machine doesn't make sense - given how mega stones are shown in nature to be much larger stones that need to be carved into the convenient orbs, a more logical device would scan the larger sized rocks and do the experiment at that stage.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom