• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY083: Crossing the Snow Mountains! Mammoo and Yukinooh!!

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
XY083 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Discuss the episode here.

Here is my episode summary.

Ash and co. decide to ride two Mamoswine in order to pass through the snow along Route 17.

Ash and Serena get on one Mamoswine and then Clemont and Bonnie get on another one.

They start riding the Mamoswine along Route 17.

James and Meowth are spying on Ash and co. riding the Mamoswine.

Jessie is near James and Meowth and is happily spinning with her Gourgeist in her outfit from the Coumarine Pokemon Showcase.

Ash and co. ride along a bridge connecting two snowy mountains.

Serena is worried as they cross the bridge, but Ash holds her shoulders to help calm her nerves.

Team Rocket run towards a cave, but an Abomasnow is blocking it.

Jessie sends out her Gourgeist and commands her to use Shadow Ball.

The Abomasnow stops the attack by hitting it with Ice Punch.

Gourgeist then attacks with Leech seed, but Abomasnow counters it with Wood Hammer.

James brings out his Inkay and commands it to use Psybeam.

Team Rocket get blasted off by the Abomasnow.

Ash and co. then come across the same cave as they ride the two Mamoswine.

The Abomasnow uses Blizzard or a similar looking move to attack Ash and co.

Serena uses her Pokedex to look up Abomasnow.

Ash and co. then see a Snover sitting down in the cave behind the Abomasnow.

Either Ash or Serena looks up Snover on their Pokedex.

Ash and co. talk the Abomasnow into believing that they are not there to harm Abomasnow or Snover.

Ash and co. then enter the cave that Snover is in.

They all then see that Snover is sick and needs to be healed.

Pokemon Quiz: Abomasnow.

Serena looks up what she needs to heal the sick Snover, who has a fever.

Clemont's Chespin comes out of its Poke Ball and then Serena sends out her Braixen.

Ash and Serena ride off into an icy cave in order to find a cure.

Pikachu, Chespin and Braixen gather some snowballs to put on Snover, in order to cool its fever.

Chespin and Braixen are outside the cave.

Braixen has created multiple small snowballs and Chespin has created a huge one.

Chepin's big snowball rolls down a hill between itself and Braixen.

It rolls towards Braixen, but Braixen quickly dodges it.

They go back inside the cave and put some snowballs onto Snover's head, where its fever is.

Clemont and Bonnie are outside near their Mamoswine and they then start to gather some berries to help the Snover.

Ash and Serena are riding through an icy cave and they are a bit lost.

Ash sends out his Noibat to help find their way towards the area where the cure for Snover's fever is.

They eventually find the room in the cave and collect what they need.

Ash and Serena come back to where Snover is and heal its fever.

Abomasnow then gets kidnapped by a net that Team Rocket have attached to their Meowth Balloon, which they are in outside the cave.

Ash and co. go outside of the cave to help Abomasnow.

Team Rocket say their motto.

Jessie sends out her Gourgeist and James sends out his Inkay.

Ash and co. then start a battle against Team Rocket and free Abomasnow from Team Rocket's net.

They eventually defeat them and Ash's Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on them.

Abomasnow assists in attacking Team Rocket with Ice Beam.

Team Rocket blast off.

The sun is now starting to set and Ash and co. say goodbye to the Abomasnow and Snover.

After they say goodbye, they continue to ride along Route 17 on their two Mamoswine.

To be continued.

This episode was cute. It shows the Mamoswine riding feature in the game and it made me remember the time I first rode the Mamoswine in the game. I like how each character had their own screentime.

Serena had screen time by showing her riding skills. I also love how Braixen was responsible and took care of the sick Snover with snowballs. She also had screentime by using Scratch to cut down the net.

Clemont had screen time and this is also one of the rare moments where his invention does not explode which is nice! Chespin also stayed in character with his carefree and free-spirited attitude.

Bonnie using her small height and weight to be lifted onto the cliff to get the berry is also a nice touch.

Ash also using Noibat to find the hotspring was a good idea and Pikachu staying behind with Chespin and Braixen was a nice moment since it makes the individual Pokemon shine with their different personalities.

Overall, this was a nice episode. I'd give this a 7.5/10.

This episode is fantastic! Didn't expect much but it delivers.

Serena ones again showcases her talent in riding Pokemon. The writers seem to have kept a very good track on that ability of her as she was trained by Grace since she was younger.

Clemont and Bonnie's search for berry is by far the best moment the sibling shared together. I really hope there is more of such moments.

This episode also shows all the quirk and personality of the Pokemon that appear in this episode, even Noibat's echolocation is used, well done and well played.

The final battle versus Team Rocket is the least pointless one in like the whole series. I love their strategy of rescuing the hostage first before going all out attacking. Its well coordinated and with things like Bonnie using snowballs as a part of distraction and Chespin throwing Braixen for jump distance, I can only once again say well played.

Not much happened, but judging from the episode itself, a solid 9/10.

Better episode than I expected.

I love how the girls got chairs to sit in on the Mamoswine. And OMG Bonnie's Delibird outfit was so damn cute! I loved when Serena took over to guide Mamoswine up the hill, showing off more of her Pokemon riding skills and how their Mamoswine helped Clemont and Bonnie get up. But I think it would have been even better if Serena was the one guiding Mamoswine from the start due to the fact that she is the more experienced rider.

Lol, at TR getting pounded by Abamasnow. And wow, Bonnie would be the only one having fun when the Mamoswine decided to charge at the rocks. I really liked that the Mamoswine also tried to reason with Abamasnow when it started attacking the group. I though that was a nice touch. And man, that must have been a really weak Abamasnow. Ash and Serena were just standing in the middle of its attack like it was nothing. Oh, so Chespin is popping out to be useful again. Well, that's always nice to see as opposed to him messing stuff up. I did like how everyone left behind a Pokemon to help tend to Snover.

I love how Ash used Noibat to find out the right path to take in the cave and how Clemont used an intention, Bunnelby, and later Bonnie to do his share of the mission. Damn, was Snover really that hot that he made Pikachu's paw hot. Geez. And wow, Chespin failed again. Why am I not surprised? Seriously though, how hot was that Snover?

Ok, I guess Chespin made up for his earlier fail in the battle against TR. But honestly, my favorite part was Bonnie hitting Inkay with a snowball to lead him to get hit by Gourgeist. Overall the teamwork in this episode was awesome.

I'd say this was an 8/10. Really nice for a plot as simple as riding through the snow and helping a Snover.

I beg to disagree here, I found this episode extremely boring. It was the overused plot about Team Rocket trying to steal some wild Pokémon, which is completely acceptable by itself since it's one of the things the anime revolves around, but it was a pain to see after having so many good, more unique plots lately... then we have it combined with another overused plot: sick wild Pokémon. It's not that overused plots are a bad thing, but this one here wasn't well handled. The nice things we got were a bit more of interaction between the Pokémon, and Clemont and Bonnie working together. The problems the group had with their Mamoswine were too simple and mundane, in my opinion.

This is the kind of episode that could've worked much better if it had more humor, old-school visual gags and stuff like that, because without them it just feels extremely slow-paced. Slow-paced and boring... well, I guess that's how I felt about the actual Mamoswine ride on Route 17 in the X and Y games as well.

Could someone confirm for me whether the group's discussion at the end of the episode was about them being a good team? That was my guess based off some of things I heard and how they were reacting, I could be completely wrong though. :p

Following with that I thought this episode illustrated to a degree the roles and skills each character within the group has. Ash is the strong battler, quick thinker (when he wants to, lol), and gets the job done. Serena's good with riding Pokemon and having the guide book means she's good with organising. Clemont has the inventions and is the more analytical of them. Then you have Bonnie who does what she can despite her age, finding some way to help out everyone in some way. Surprisingly Clemont's machine didn't blow up this time but when I look at it I don't believe it was needed, he's got to have something work once every so often anyway. :p Presumably the Mamoswine destroying the rock was just referencing the game mechanic, slightly disappointed they didn't bring the friendship between the Frost Cavern Abomasnow and the Mamoswine from the game but it's not a big deal.

Probably should note this episode wasn't as shippy as some people expected from the first image but there was at least parts where they helped and interacted with each other that certainly was fine with me, it really didn't need to be that extreme anyway (save it for another episode, heh...)

Obviously seeing the Pokemon interact with each other, chiefly Braixen and Chespin, is always nice. Thought Braixen's "bruh..." moment when Chespin failed with the giant snowball was funny, not the first time she's done it, hopefully not the last, lol. Speaking of which she used Scratch again which I feel stupid now for saying that we might not see it again after last week, at least after the past two weeks we know she hasn't forgotten that and Hidden Power somehow. Noibat shows up after a few weeks of absence and was used quite well, playing to it's strengths with the echolocation. Not even bad.

Oh, so Gourgeist knows Seed Bomb? Fair enough, I couldn't tell if it was the same Japanese name for Bullet Seed, it's been a while since Shota's Grovyle last used it, plus I'm not overly familiar with all of the Japanese move names. :/

I did like watching this episode, even if it wasn't that spectacular.

Could someone confirm for me whether the group's discussion at the end of the episode was about them being a good team? That was my guess based off some of things I heard and how they were reacting, I could be completely wrong though. :p

Following with that I thought this episode illustrated to a degree the roles and skills each character within the group has. Ash is the strong battler, quick thinker (when he wants to, lol), and gets the job done. Serena's good with riding Pokemon and having the guide book means she's good with organising. Clemont has the inventions and is the more analytical of them. Then you have Bonnie who does what she can despite her age, finding some way to help out everyone in some way. Surprisingly Clemont's machine didn't blow up this time but when I look at it I don't believe it was needed, he's got to have something work once every so often anyway. :p Presumably the Mamoswine destroying the rock was just referencing the game mechanic, slightly disappointed they didn't bring the friendship between the Frost Cavern Abomasnow and the Mamoswine from the game but it's not a big deal.

Probably should note this episode wasn't as shippy as some people expected from the first image but there was at least parts where they helped and interacted with each other that certainly was fine with me, it really didn't need to be that extreme anyway (save it for another episode, heh...)

Obviously seeing the Pokemon interact with each other, chiefly Braixen and Chespin, is always nice. Thought Braixen's "bruh..." moment when Chespin failed with the giant snowball was funny, not the first time she's done it, hopefully not the last, lol. Speaking of which she used Scratch again which I feel stupid now for saying that we might not see it again after last week, at least after the past two weeks we know she hasn't forgotten that and Hidden Power somehow. Noibat shows up after a few weeks of absence and was used quite well, playing to it's strengths with the echolocation. Not even bad.

Oh, so Gourgeist knows Seed Bomb? Fair enough, I couldn't tell if it was the same Japanese name for Bullet Seed, it's been a while since Shota's Grovyle last used it, plus I'm not overly familiar with all of the Japanese move names. :/

I did like watching this episode, even if it wasn't that spectacular.

Bulbapedia has them, right under the English name. Romanji pronunciation and all.

I am aware of that, but it's never really been a concern of mine to make an effort to learn all of them. Even so once I hear them say it the first time I can pick up on it in subsequent episodes.

I kinda feel disappointed that they showed no other Pokemon in the Frost Cavern.
No Bergmite, no Avalugg.
The cavern looks completely empty.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom