• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2 Theories about Dialga and Palkia as well as the Player Character (Spoilers ahead!)

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
I have been thinking about these two theories for a while now. They are both spoiler-filled so if you don't want spoilers, wait until you have played Legends Arceus to get to the point where you are finished with them.

At the start of the game, the player character has been sent into the past by Arceus, back to the time in which Sinnoh was still called Hisui. Depending on the starting choices, the player character can be seen wearing a shirt related to one of the other regions. In this theory, it's very possible that the character is actually the protagonist from the Sinnoh games, who went to another region after the events of DP or BDSP, but not Platinum, the Platinum version will be explained later in the theory. This also makes sense on why he/she knows how to use the Arc Phone, because it's literally his/her phone upgraded by Arceus itself. In a sense, the non-Platinum Sinnoh games can be considered part of canon now. But now to finally explain Platinum, so during the events of Legends Arceus, Giratina sided with a villainous character, but later learned to become good thanks to the player character stopping said villain. As the protagonist and the unpicked character had descendants for many years, Hisui developed into the Platinum version of Sinnoh, with the descendant being the Platinum protagonist. This explains why Giratina intervenes with Cyrus's plan in Platinum but not in the other Sinnoh games.

After 15 years since Platinum, Dialga and Palkia received their own Origin forms. The strange part about the forms is that they look eerily similar to Arceus, very unlike Giratina's own Origin form. So with that in mind, it's very possible that when the first Dialga and Palkia were created, Arceus created them in its own image, in other words, Dialga and Palkia originally looked like Arceus, this creation resulted in the accidental creation of Giratina. In the science about matter, it's stated that antimatter is created alongside matter, the two are different and yet, are created at the same time. In a sense, Giratina is the antimatter of the Creation trio, explaining why Giratina was never created looking like Arceus, but rather, looking serpentine with no legs instead.

Last edited:
Based on dialogue from the opening cutscene, I’d argue that your character isn’t from the world of Pokemon at all. An import from the “real world” perhaps?

“Soon thou shalt find thyself in a world strange to thee…a world inhabited by wondrous creatures that humans call ‘Pokémon’.”

Based on dialogue from the opening cutscene, I’d argue that your character isn’t from the world of Pokemon at all. An import from the “real world” perhaps?

“Soon thou shalt find thyself in a world strange to thee…a world inhabited by wondrous creatures that humans call ‘Pokémon’.”
That's just reiterating the standard game intro though. Every professor since Oak has said things along the lines of "a strange world inhabited by creatures called pokemon (shows an example) this is a pokemon." It's just that a llama god is saying it now instead of a person.

Also if they weren't from the pokemon world, their starter clothes, which are from Poké-Europe, wouldn't make sense.

Edit:
Yeah...after playing the game. That line is not just a call back to every other intro...but also its Arceus saying "as a 15 year old from the early 2010s you're going to find the late 1800s very confusing and unfamiliar."

Last edited:
I think theres no point in hiding everything in the spoiler tag if the title alread says spoilers ahead.

I dont think Giratina started to be good because the player defeated Volo. This game made it very clear that Giratina is the devil pokemon. Its the unwanted child that wants to defeat arceus and be like him . It opened the space time rift , made dialga and palkia and all the lords mad. It helped Volo without even being caught in a pokeball , because Volo wanted to defeat and subjugate Arceus.

So, why Giratina stopped Cyrus from creating his world and destroying the current one? Because Cynthia wanted to stop Cyrus. Giratina formed some kind of bond with Volo because both wanted to defeat arceus, but it had no interest in destroying the world. It seens that Cynthia inherited the descendants of all Volos pokemon , except for Arcanine, so she inherited Giratina´s loyalty as well. In pokemon masters ex, Cynthia has Giratina.

In pokemon generations, as soon as Cynthia says to Cyrus stop and release dialga and palkia ,Giratina apears, release dialga and palkia, and drags Cyrus to distortion world.

Except it's text in the game that Giratina wants to protect Hisui after the battle against the protag, or at least that's what Volo said in Laventon's recollection:

Volo eventually returned and told me more about what happened at the Temple of Sinnoh...
He said that Giratina... That it chose to protect the land of Hisui after discovering it was no match for you. He said that we should study it and add it to the Pokédex.
He wandered off after that, saying this was probably the last time we would meet... But I can’t help but feel...he’s far more invested in our completion of the Pokédex than he would have us know...

I do think the postgame plot is the weakest part of the story; it felt like recycling DPPt's plot just for the sake of subverting the characters' (in a sense) previous role. Volo's motivation felt undercooked to me, though at least he got to act in denial and petty after being defeated. Meanwhile Giratina just completely flipped motivation after getting bonked on the head by the protag and their pokemon. I'd get it if Giratina simply concluded it's not ready to challenge Arceus yet, but no, it's text that it is a good pokemon now, by the way. (No doubt because the protag will capture it for the dex, and we can't have evil mon in the team, can we now?)

Except it's text in the game that Giratina wants to protect Hisui after the battle against the protag, or at least that's what Volo said in Laventon's recollection:

Volo eventually returned and told me more about what happened at the Temple of Sinnoh...
He said that Giratina... That it chose to protect the land of Hisui after discovering it was no match for you. He said that we should study it and add it to the Pokédex.
He wandered off after that, saying this was probably the last time we would meet... But I can’t help but feel...he’s far more invested in our completion of the Pokédex than he would have us know...

I do think the postgame plot is the weakest part of the story; it felt like recycling DPPt's plot just for the sake of subverting the characters' (in a sense) previous role. Volo's motivation felt undercooked to me, though at least he got to act in denial and petty after being defeated. Meanwhile Giratina just completely flipped motivation after getting bonked on the head by the protag and their pokemon. I'd get it if Giratina simply concluded it's not ready to challenge Arceus yet, but no, it's text that it is a good pokemon now, by the way. (No doubt because the protag will capture it for the dex, and we can't have evil mon in the team, can we now?)

Or, maybe its just pretending to be a good pokemon now, and just wanted to be trained by the protagonist to be ready to fight arceus. It would make the most sense. Giratina likely could talk to Vole by telepathy. But Volo showed to be a very untrustworthy character. He pretended to be our friend all the time just to betray us. Why would he come out of his way to tell that to the professor? Giratina is not very trustworth, since it wants to defeat Arceus, his creator. So, a untrustyworthy character said that another untrustyworthy character said something. Are we sopposed to believe this? Specially when it makes no sense at all?

I have my own headcanons for how to navigate this, but that's not what the thread is about so I held back. All I did was put down what is text in the game since that's what OP's theory go with, regardless of whether it's good or bad.

I have my own headcanons for how to navigate this, but that's not what the thread is about so I held back. All I did was put down what is text in the game since that's what OP's theory go with, regardless of whether it's good or bad.
The OP has its theory, and I have my own theory. I just think Volo shouldnt be trusted.

I do think the postgame plot is the weakest part of the story; it felt like recycling DPPt's plot just for the sake of subverting the characters' (in a sense) previous role. Volo's motivation felt undercooked to me, though at least he got to act in denial and petty after being defeated.

As a villain, Volo seemed a bit stereotypical, too familiar, like an overtold myth or a rebranded one. Even his new look and style, similar to Arceus/Giratina, seemed farcical to me.

The worst thing is that I think Volo was initially an interesting character, in my opinion they should have explored his relationship with Cogita a little more. I can't help but wonder if she somehow knew Volo's true intentions.

And, after all, what is a legitimate English lady doing in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Hisui? Well, she claims to be from Hisui, but she doesn't look like anyone else from the other clans. Would she also descend from those who worship Giratina? Like Volo, as I understand it.

Last edited:
And, after all, what is a legitimate English lady doing in a cabin in the middle of nowhere in Hisui? Well, she claims to be from Hisui, but she doesn't look like anyone else from the other clans. Would she also descend from those who worship Giratina? Like Volo, as I understand it.
I think it's implied she's a descendant of Celestica people (and so is Volo, since he also talked about worshiping Arceus and his final battle costume was modeled after it). She mentioned a duty of helping the lost one (you) prevent a great disaster, and when you received the Red Chain she said the following line, which would've been odd to say if she wasn't a Celestica after everything:

Cogita said:
So it was true... The pact our people have passed down for all these generations has been kept. At last, I can set this burden aside!

As for her aesthetic... my headcanon is she really got into English Galarian culture at some point. Her home is structured like the buildings in Diamond/Pearl Clan settlements, but her bed and her dresses don't match the aesthetic; they're probably newer than the structure. Being the Last of Her Kind (kind of) would also give her the freedom to do whatever.

Extra note:
* My guess is the Celestical lineage split into (at least) two in the past, Cogita came from one and Volo came from the other, and this is why they act like they're not related -- even if they were relatives, they're very very distant relatives.

Anyway, getting back to OP's topic, I want to note there is a Hisui myth that can support this:
After 15 years since Platinum, Dialga and Palkia received their own Origin forms. The strange part about the forms is that they look eerily similar to Arceus, very unlike Giratina's own Origin form. So with that in mind, it's very possible that when the first Dialga and Palkia were created, Arceus created them in its own image, in other words, Dialga and Palkia originally looked like Arceus, this creation resulted in the accidental creation of Giratina. In the science about matter, it's stated that antimatter is created alongside matter, the two are different and yet, are created at the same time. In a sense, Giratina is the antimatter of the Creation trio, explaining why Giratina was never created looking like Arceus, but rather, looking serpentine with no legs instead.
We don't learn about the myth in details, but in Giratina's dex entry it's mentioned that there is one Hisuian verse telling of a powerful light creating a deep shadow, which Laventon speculated to be Giratina. If we follow this assumption, we can infer that the powerful light probably was the creation of Dialga and Palkia for reasons stated in the quote.

Note: I feel spoiler tags are redundant and unneeded in a thread with a title that contains a spoiler warning therefore I won't be using them.

Giratina sided with a villainous character, but later learned to become good thanks to the player character stopping said villain.

The word 'sided' isn't the accurate term for its alliance with Volo. It's more like Giratina used Volo because Volo was acting in favor of its own agenda, to summon Arceus.

Arguably, it ended up with the protagonist because when the protagonist defeated it, it realized that Volo was the wrong ally. The protagonist is the one with the power and the one Arceus is interested in appearing to.
Of course, the protagonist has no remote intention to destroy Arceus but Giratina won't realize that until it's stuck in their Pokeball and SOL.

That's an interesting thought but I concur with @Cute Charm's sentiment.
That's been the standard orientation since the beginning of the franchise and in the rest of the installments, the protagonist is established as being from the Pokemon world as their adventure begins with them leaving their home and their mom (not to mention the protag sprites are often characters in the anime).
One could argue that the 'strange world' part could in this game refer to the fact that the protagonist is thrust into a different time period with a different landscape, societies, and customs that are unfamiliar to them.

In this game, the protagonist is established as being 15 vs the standard trainer age of 10 and both variants are identical to the DPPT protagonists.

My theory is that the protagonist is still either Lucas or Dawn, the same protagonist of DPPT after becoming the Sinnoh League champion.
This would explain their never-before-seen skill level in catching Pokemon and battling with them that turns Hisui on its head and the implication that the protagonist recognizes Ingo's fragmented memories of the world he came from of trainers going on adventures with Pokemon.

The worst thing is that I think Volo was initially an interesting character, in my opinion they should have explored his relationship with Cogita a little more. I can't help but wonder if she somehow knew Volo's true intentions.

"One of those Ginkgo guild merchants? You speak as though you're not one of them."
She jumped on his slip like a flea onto a dog's ass and did nothing but chastise him for "shirking" his merchant duties. Not to mention she was destined to guide the protagonist. She definitely suspected something if she didn't know.

I think it's implied she's a descendant of Celestica people

Actually, she directly reveals that she's descended from the Sinnoh people. The author of the verses is of the Celestica people and referred to the ancient Sinnoh people as a separate people.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom