• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2013-2014 season VGC rules and formats revealed: Kalos native Pokémon only; Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
2013-2014 season VGC rules and formats revealed: Kalos native Pokémon only; Pokémon ...

The official Play! Pokémon rules and formats for the 2013-2014 season VGC tournaments have been revealed by the offical site.

Read more on Bulbanews

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2013-2014 season VGC rules and formats revealed: Kalos native Pokémon only; Pokém

Players at European events may only use European Game Cards.
Players at North American events may only use North American Game Cards.
Players at the World Championships may only use Game Cards that are legal in their home markets.

Players at European events may only use systems in the European Nintendo 3DS™ family.
Players at North American events may only use systems in the North American Nintendo 3DS™ family.
Players at the World Championships may only use Game Cards and systems that are legal in their home markets.
That is just ridiculous.

If one player’s game system is stuck in an unfixable frozen game state and it can be determined which player’s Game Card or system is responsible for the frozen state, the player whose game system is frozen will receive a game loss.
Because its clearly the players fault their game froze.

Now, I've never had my consoles freeze and I have both a PAL and NTSC console so I shouldn't have any problems there, but the first quote is victimizing and the second quote is unsportsmanlike and demotes fair play and competition.

I refuse to partake on those principles.

Re: 2013-2014 season VGC rules and formats revealed: Kalos native Pokémon only; Pokém

I find it very interesting that Dark Void is no longer banned. Spore got nerfed with Grass now being immune, but now we're likely to see Dark Void Smeargle rise up again (since having both your Pokemon put to sleep is pretty devastating).

Also, Chatot is unbanned! Now everyone is going to use it! </sarcasm>

Players at European events may only use European Game Cards.
Players at North American events may only use North American Game Cards.
Players at the World Championships may only use Game Cards that are legal in their home markets.

Players at European events may only use systems in the European Nintendo 3DS™ family.
Players at North American events may only use systems in the North American Nintendo 3DS™ family.
Players at the World Championships may only use Game Cards and systems that are legal in their home markets.
That is just ridiculous.
The second is redundant anyway; due to region-locking, you would have to use a system of the same region as your game anyway.

I think the point of the rule is that it has to do with how they broadcast these battles; at these events, to put the battle up on a TV screen you have to put your game in a modified 3DS. Since each country would only have their own region of 3DS, region-locking would necessitate that all players have the correct region of game to ensure that all games can be broadcast.

Which is a pretty compelling case for removing region-locking entirely.

Games should not freeze. If your game freezes, then the only player that can be declared responsible is you. There simply isn't the time at such events to have rematches if a game were to freeze, so one player has to be given the game, and it is only fair that it's the player whose game didn't freeze. This rule is completely necessary and reasonable.

Last edited:

If the region locking were an issue to broadcasting then wouldn't that be an issue with the World Championships?
The modified 3DS could easily be region free and from what I understand the games software is identical for all regions apart from the region lock.

Of course, it's not the manufacturer's responsibility at all to ensure their product will be free of defects and function flawlessly.

Edit: I can't find the source that says which Pokemon and moves are banned or not, the PDF doesn't say.

Last edited:

If the region locking were an issue to broadcasting then wouldn't that be an issue with the World Championships?
The modified 3DS could easily be region free and from what I understand the games software is identical for all regions apart from the region lock.
I considered that too, but I guess they just have multiple regions of 3DS available at Worlds (which seems quite plausible). As for making a region-free 3DS, that would be the logical thing to do, but I believe there is more to it than just disabling a single flag to make it no longer region-locked.

Of course, it's not the manufacturer's responsibility at all to ensure their product will be free of defects and function flawlessly.
It is, and if your game malfunctions without you doing anything to compromise the warranty then they have to replace it. However, in a tournament situation the two cases are that the manufacturer screwed up and you got a dodgy game/system (not your fault, but you would likely know by the time of the tournament, so then it is partly your fault for entering with something you know is defective) or that you did something to compromise the reliability of your game/system (entirely your fault and worthy of a game loss). It's also more likely to be the latter if only your game freezes and the opponent's doesn't. I'm sure there are people who could modify a 3DS so that there is a secret switch that causes their game to freeze (even if this hasn't happened, it is important to address the possibility in the rules).

Edit: I can't find the source that says which Pokemon and moves are banned or not, the PDF doesn't say.
It's under Section 9. There isn't a banlist though, it's a whitelist with the restriction that the Pokemon are obtained or hatched in XY not transferred through Bank. They have made no mention of banned moves, so there are no banned moves.

So we're just assuming Mewtwo, Zygarde, Xerneas and Yvetal can't be used?

So we're just assuming Mewtwo, Zygarde, Xerneas and Yvetal can't be used?
We are not assuming the Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde and Mewtwo can't be used because we know that they are banned from this text in the Play! Pokémon VG Tournament Rules & Formats document:

Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.

I find it very interesting that Dark Void is no longer banned. Spore got nerfed with Grass now being immune, but now we're likely to see Dark Void Smeargle rise up again (since having both your Pokemon put to sleep is pretty devastating).

Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't actually been able to use Dark Void in XY yet (because unable to transfer a Darkrai/Smeargle that knows it), so they may have nerfed it and we don't know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't actually been able to use Dark Void in XY yet (because unable to transfer a Darkrai/Smeargle that knows it), so they may have nerfed it and we don't know.
We can currently check using Metronome, although it's hard to determine accuracy that way. Maybe it only affects one Pokemon in doubles now (that would be the best reason to unban it)?

Predictable rule-set was predictable, which is why the StreetPasss Founders were actually running these rules before they were announced.

Considering that the 3DS is region locked, I do think TPCi should remove the restriction about EU events only allowing EU games, US events only allowing US games etc. My older brother is moving to Canada next month and wants to enter some events US/CA, but it looks like he'll have to buy a brand new 3DS and copy of the games just to compete. Previous events had the same restriction, but the DS Lite was region free - it's clearly a move to try and limit importing.

That is just ridiculous.

If one player’s game system is stuck in an unfixable frozen game state and it can be determined which player’s Game Card or system is responsible for the frozen state, the player whose game system is frozen will receive a game loss.

Now, I've never had my consoles freeze and I have both a PAL and NTSC console so I shouldn't have any problems there, but the first quote is victimizing and the second quote is unsportsmanlike and demotes fair play and competition.

I refuse to partake on those principles.
That was most likely added because there were cases where people would intentionally cause their games to crash when they were losing, so that a replay had to be done. Its addition is most likely for the same reason that only Pokémon native to Kalos can be used - to really try and shut down the cheaters as much as they can, because unfortunately, Pokémon really was a game for cheaters in Gens IV-V.

We are not assuming the Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde and Mewtwo can't be used because we know that they are banned from this text in the Play! Pokémon VG Tournament Rules & Formats document:

Players may use Pokémon from the Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, or Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147.

Ah, thats makes sense.
That 3 Pokedex thing really confuses me.

I'm peeved 'cos that means they essentially got rid of Terrakion from comp. I was gonna use him in doubles D':

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom