• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2014 Winter Olympics - Sochi, Russia

So far I haven't really been following any ceremony events, but I've recently been hearing quite a bit on the radio as well as reading from American news sites just how not-modern and poorly maintained the hotels in and around Sochi seem to be, mostly from American and Canadian journalists and athletes. This gives me the impression that Sochi and its surrounding cities completely ignored accommodations for visitors in the buildup to host the Olympics.

I am worried for our athletes in russia at the moment, the bomb threats from the muslim extremists who want a islamic state in russia is very concerning.

Aside from that, I hope team GB will earn a few more medals this year!

These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.

Also, do those gay activists really think Putin will listen to them?

These Olympics are a hot mess. Funny because it's in the Winter. A combination of terror threats and unpreparedness in terms of accommodation, you wonder what the Russians did with all that money. Let's just hope and pray the athletes just do their thing and get the hell out of there without any major problems.

The hotels that the media reporters are staying at are not at all affiliated with Russia's Olympic organization. They're just apparently really crappy local hotels.

The hotels that the media reporters are staying at are not at all affiliated with Russia's Olympic organization. They're just apparently really crappy local hotels.
It still reflects badly on the host country. Why were these hotels not adequately prepared? It's not like they just found it was happening last month.

I'll be updating a spreadsheet containing weighted medal counts from the Olympics. Each gold medal earns a federation 3 points, silver 2, and bronze 1.

You can view it here.

That doesn't explain the better but still poor accommodations for the athletes themselves.

This is a little late but, eoop! Woop!
Team GB got a bronze medal!
I would applause more but a bronze is crap in my eyes.

You need to clean your eyes. Bronze out of 50 high class athletes is considered crap. Yeah smart thinking isn't it.

You need to clean your eyes. Bronze out of 50 high class athletes is considered crap. Yeah smart thinking isn't it.

Listen, if it ain't gold I ain't interested.

Talking of gold, one of our athletes is a gold hopeful today I think, I can't remember what in but I'm gonna look. Now.

Cool! A Winter Olympics thread! (pun intended)

I love sports so I'll be popping by here every now and again :)

The Olympics are going great for my country so far :D The Netherlands have won tons of speed skating medals, which is especially good since it's the only winter sport that we're properly good at :)

If you'll excuse me now, I'll be off to watch the men's skeleton. No Dutchmen participating there, but it's still a good watch :thumbup:

Listen, if it ain't gold I ain't interested.

Talking of gold, one of our athletes is a gold hopeful today I think, I can't remember what in but I'm gonna look. Now.

Isn't that a stupid mindset though? If it ain't gold you aren't interested? That's really poor form.

Isn't that a stupid mindset though? If it ain't gold you aren't interested? That's really poor form.
Yes it is but don't you worry!
For some reason I need a google account to access that pagi Shinobu posted, anyone else getting the same?

Ahwyeah! Bronze medal in the men's shorttrack 1500m! Ice ice baby :D

Silver medal for the Netherlands on the 1500m speed skating. Koen Verweij was merely 0.003 seconds less fast then the gold medalist, a Polishman named Brodka. That is scarily little and a major bummer :/

The only event I've been keeping super close tabs on is the men's ice hockey tournament. I follow NHL hockey regularly so it's really exciting to me~ I woke up at 7:30 am to watch the USA vs Russia game on only a few hours of sleep but it was 100% worth it. I've been watching all of the other games that I can catch live or replays of; some of them are on live here at 3 am so it's been a bit difficult. I don't even really have a favorite team to win, there are players I like on Team USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden and Russia, so...

The only event I've been keeping super close tabs on is the men's ice hockey tournament. I follow NHL hockey regularly so it's really exciting to me~ I woke up at 7:30 am to watch the USA vs Russia game on only a few hours of sleep but it was 100% worth it. I've been watching all of the other games that I can catch live or replays of; some of them are on live here at 3 am so it's been a bit difficult. I don't even really have a favorite team to win, there are players I like on Team USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden and Russia, so...
Yeah me too, the fierce hockey competition of the Olympics is the only thing that really interest me. Speaking of which, did you catch Canada vs. Finland?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom