• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2018: That Was The Year That Was

indigohex

Post By The Mad Man
Reaction score
Well, we have now reached December (December 2 here), and it is time to discuss the year that was. The high, the low, and the weird, this is where we will discuss the events of the previous year, ranging from what happened in the world right through to what happened in your life. Anything is fair game (but if you want to talk about someone who we don't know, don't mention their real name).

A couple of weeks ago, there was an attack on Bourke Street here in Melbourne, and there was a hero when a man with a trolley stopped the attacker, but his past came out, and faced court on several charges.

In February, Australia finally got Season 29 of The Simpsons, and it was downright weird, as it wasn't on Ten, but on Seven- 7mate to be exact (Seven nabs The Simpsons in FOX deal).

And speaking of Ten, a new logo was introduced for Ten here in Australia by CBS Corporation, as well as the re-branding of their multichannels (One became 10 Boss and Eleven became 10 Peach, but 10 Boss is subject to a court case by Fairfax- 10, Fairfax in legal battle over Boss logo.).

And Fairfax (publisher of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald) is no more, taken over by Nine.

In Australian politics, we got a new Prime Minister in Scott Morrison, and just last Saturday, there was a bloodbath in Victoria with Labor (led by Daniel Andrews) winning the Victorian State Election (but technical glitches struck the ABC during the "Call of the Board"), and Ian Henderson read his last bulletin (he did it on the second attempt, after a glitch affected his first farewell bulletin, and I did watch both attempts) (Ian Henderson: “It has been a rare privilege and a real pleasure.”).

So what has happened in your part of the world in the past year?

I'm not really into posting about general world stuff, so I'm gonna use this to talk about personal stuff that happened for me in 2018, because I'll be honest, this was a pretty awesome year for me.

1. I worked two awesome jobs (Lowe's and currently HomeGoods) and saved a crap ton of money...by my standards, at least.
2. I finally managed to write a bunch of stories that I've wanted to write for a while, though they're still ongoing. I especially got to write some chapters I've been dying to write.
3. I've become just a little bit more independent, what with being able to buy more of what I want without relying so much on Mom and Dad getting stuff for me and walking around some of my local towns by myself.
4. I got my driver's permit and started driving lessons, so I'm closer to getting an official license soon.
5. I got to travel to Las Vegas and visit the west coast for the first time ever, even if it was only to visit my sister.
6. I've paid off a pretty good chunk of my student loans and am still paying the bills every month.

So all in all, it was a pretty awesome year for me personally, though not without its downsides. In April I lost my cat Cappy because he was old and very sick, and I still miss him terribly. Plus, we lost some famous people this year (Stan Lee, Stephen Hillenberg, George H. W. Bush and his wife Barbara, John McCain, Aretha Franklin, Anthony Bourdain, Stephen Hawking, and many others). I don't think I need to go into all the crap that Trump is doing, since we all know he's a moron, and others can articulate his atrocities much better than I can ever do, so I won't go there. But for me, 2018 was a great year, and here's hoping 2019 will be even better.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom