• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2020 Anime might not see an English dub...

This. SuMo was/is dying a slow and agonizing death on Disney XD and my suggestion is that a move to streaming would be better for the show, because at least then the anime might survive as a niche series that the remaining ~10,000 fans who still follow the dub for god knows what reason could keep supporting their cruddy little program.

If SM is dying on Disney XD, they aren't really treating it as such. While I don't watch the channel live as much as I do through On Demand, I still see a good amount of promotion for the series. They promote it alongside their other toyetic anime titles and have a general season promo for it too. Not to mention they've aired the series pretty consistently at the same timeslot during its run and there a good amount of rerun slots too. I'm not saying that it's crushing any records, but they're treating a supposedly dying dub pretty well all things considered. If SM was doing that badly or at least if Disney XD wasn't interested in keeping the series, I don't think that they'd be giving it promos or airing it consistently in a good timeslot. They would have gone the Cartoon Network route of putting it in a death slot with no promotion instead.

Ratings aren't the only way to determine how successful a series is and I doubt it's the only way TPCI can make any noteworthy money off of the dub either. I still don't understand why people would think that's the case for any show, let alone a toyetic series like Pokemon. And plenty of people still watch the dub. It's fine to not like the dub since it is by no means perfect for a number of reasons, but I don't think it's necessary to belittle people who do choose to watch it either.

I don't see how SM is "dying a slow and agonizing death" on Disney XD. They advertise the show a lot. I mean, there's literally two episodes left and I just saw a brand new promo for the series last weekend. They also air new episodes in a decent weekend time slot and re-runs in a decent weekday time slot (around 3/4 PM, when most kids are out of school). In addition, Disney XD has every single dub episode available to watch on demand and they do occasionally air some of the movies. Most of us watched Pokemon fizzle out on CN...by the end of its life, there was absolutely zero promotion of the show, new episodes airing in dead timeslots, and basically no re-runs. Sure, there's a chance the new series could air on a streaming service instead, since we haven't heard anything about it yet, but I definitely wouldn't say Disney XD is outwardly killing the show off.

I've said it before: I don't mind the dub, and I don't mind subs. But the fact of the matter is there's no legal way to stream the show in Japanese with English subs, and that severely limits people's ability to access them. Either way, some people simply prefer the dub, and that's fine. They should be able to co-exist without much of an issue, it's easy enough to not watch one or the other if you don't like it.

My 6 year old daughter would be very upset! She loves watching Pokémon. It’s something we actually enjoy watching together. I think it really needs to find a home on a major streaming service. Either amazon or Netflix. We don’t have regular cable anymore as I’m sure many younger families don’t either. If they want to continue to grow Pokémon popularity, it’s time to move to streaming

My 6 year old daughter would be very upset! She loves watching Pokémon. It’s something we actually enjoy watching together. I think it really needs to find a home on a major streaming service. Either amazon or Netflix. We don’t have regular cable anymore as I’m sure many younger families don’t either. If they want to continue to grow Pokémon popularity, it’s time to move to streaming
I don't think you should worry about it too much to be honest. The new series is guaranteed to be dubbed, it's just a matter of when they'll announce it.

It'll probably get dubbed because it prints money

Whether the quality of the dub will be any good, on the other hand...

They screwed up the past two series horrifically in that department, so... who knows
Let’s just hope that whoever they get to play Koharu is nowhere near as terrible as Lillie’s voice actresses because good God I have no idea what they were thinking. I’m no sub snob but Lillie’s dub voice is like an assault on your ears every time she speaks.

Let’s just hope that whoever they get to play Koharu is nowhere near as terrible as Lillie’s voice actresses because good God I have no idea what they were thinking. I’m no sub snob but Lillie’s dub voice is like an assault on your ears every time she speaks.
Koharu will be voiced by a 50-year old chain smoker and crack all manner of innuendos and double entendre :wynaut:

It was literally a flashback to when Pikachu was a Pichu
OMFG THIS ISN'T POSSIBLE PICHU DIDN'T EXIST BACK IN '97

In other news, the official English Pokemon twitter has shared this teaser to Coco. It might not get dubbed due to the Miramax thing, but unless they try and get the rights for themselves (like with the first 3 movies in 2015, since DVDs distributed by Viz Media are technically Warner releases).

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1233165804943765504

In other news, the official English Pokemon twitter has shared this teaser to Coco. It might not get dubbed due to the Miramax thing, but unless they try and get the rights for themselves (like with the first 3 movies in 2015, since DVDs distributed by Viz Media are technically Warner releases).

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1233165804943765504

Why would Miramax prevent them from dubbing Coco? I don't think that they've been involved with distributing the movies for years either.

Last and finally, there might be a break like they did in the middle of Ultra Legends.

Why would Miramax prevent them from dubbing Coco? I don't think that they've been involved with distributing the movies for years either.
Most likely built around the Celebi movie

Still no word on the dub? Not really worried considering the dub used a full year behind the Japanese but that was with 4Kids.

Still no word on the dub? Not really worried considering the dub used a full year behind the Japanese but that was with 4Kids.

I think that people (not you specifically) are way too impatient about the dub. Given that there's a worldwide health crisis at the moment, it really highlights the greed of some fans of the show by how they continuously demand news about the dubbed version of the show. For all we know TPCI could be postponing the new series for a few months while they ride out the COVID pandemic.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom