• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2020 Anime might not see an English dub...

I doubt a majority of young children would ever get to watch the sub. Parents aren't just going to drop their seven years olds before an anime with a japanese audio.

Geez it's just a foreign language not something risque or indecent. I don't see what's so bad about having to read subtitles.

I think that people (not you specifically) are way too impatient about the dub. Given that there's a worldwide health crisis at the moment, it really highlights the greed of some fans of the show by how they continuously demand news about the dubbed version of the show. For all we know TPCI could be postponing the new series for a few months while they ride out the COVID pandemic.

Lisa Ortiz told me "NDA" on Twitter when I asked her if she knew if/where season 23 will start airing/streaming. So I'm guessing May/June for the debut on Disney XD or potentially an weekly release on Netflix or even Disney+.

Lisa Ortiz told me "NDA" on Twitter when I asked her if she knew if/where season 23 will start airing/streaming. So I'm guessing May/June for the debut on Disney XD or potentially an weekly release on Netflix or even Disney+.

I'm surprised that she actually talks to fans, but it sucks that she didn't actually say anything of use. I mean her comment could be taken as a hint that we're getting the dub soon or it could just be lip service.

Not sure why "don't want to stream shows illegally" is so hard to guess.

And to be charitable, the Subbed version is more scarce compared to other dub anime in their original form.

Plus? Yeah if one is going to go that far to watch fansubs of over 20 movies or over 800 movies it should be for personal enjoyment.

Just saying if you go that extra mile just to compensate for the small size of your Pokéball, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

I'm surprised that she actually talks to fans, but it sucks that she didn't actually say anything of use. I mean her comment could be taken as a hint that we're getting the dub soon or it could just be lip service.

Believe it or not, I am regular contact with Lisa Ortiz myself, she helps supply cast lists for Bulbapedia

I'm going with it being a hint that it's coming sooner or later.

Obviously Lisa Ortiz wouldn't be legally allowed to say anything about the dub right now. Breaking a NDA would most likely result in her losing her job, so she can't really give any solid information on the next series until it is officially announced or given the approval from her higher ups.

Last thing we want is to get Lisa Ortiz in trouble, she may lose her job as director or even stop working with fans over who voices who

I fully agree and that's why I'm pretty satisfied with her saying "NDA." At least that confirms the English dub is coming so that's good enough for me to hear. While I'm fine with watching the subbed version myself on the other hand my GF prefers the dub so she's waiting patiently to watch that version.

Last thing we want is to get Lisa Ortiz in trouble, she may lose her job as director or even stop working with fans over who voices who

Well yes she obviously could get in trouble if she said more but nobody is forcing her to say anything. That's what's so strange about her reply; she didn't have to say anything at all but went ahead and said "NDA" which we all know what it means but at the same time why did she even bother replying to tell fans that she can't speak about the dub of the new series? It's pointless.

Last thing we want is to get Lisa Ortiz in trouble

A9VrB5y.gif

Well yes she obviously could get in trouble if she said more but nobody is forcing her to say anything. That's what's so strange about her reply; she didn't have to say anything at all but went ahead and said "NDA" which we all know what it means but at the same time why did she even bother replying to tell fans that she can't speak about the dub of the new series? It's pointless.

Like I said before, it was lip service. She couldn't say anything more because she was afraid to get in trouble, so she just made a vague statement to keep fans guessing. It was a win-win situation for her because it made her seem like she cared about the fans while at the same time not saying anything that would break her non-disclosure agreement.

Meanwhile we still don't actually know what the heck is up with the dub of the new series but I heard that the last season of the SuMo series will appear on Netflix next month, so maybe a dub announcement for the new series will be made around that time.

Wouldn't it have looked suspicious, if not rude, to fans asking her about the dub if she just ignored the question? I'm sure that fans would have been making similar kind of remarks if she actively avoided answering any questions about the upcoming series. It isn't really pointless either. She answered the question by basically saying that she isn't legally allowed to talk about it yet. That isn't full of information, but it is an answer.

So where could season 23/Pokemon 2019/whatever it's called end up is the question? Here's my list of guesses - and again these are just wild guesses on my part....

- Remains on Disney XD TV and streaming on DisneyNow app then a year later on Netflix and home video (aka current situation)
- Disney XD TV and streaming on DisneyNow plus also Disney+ on a slight delay plus older catalog put on Disney+ excluding the four Miramax films
- Disney+ and no longer on Disney XD (still weekly episode releases) - and older catalog available on Disney+ excluding the four Miramax films
- Netflix
- HBO Max I mean given Warner did distribute Detective Pikachu and HBO has the premium TV rights for said movie and will be also on HBO Max as well at launch

So where could season 23/Pokemon 2019/whatever it's called end up is the question? Here's my list of guesses - and again these are just wild guesses on my part....

- Remains on Disney XD TV and streaming on DisneyNow app then a year later on Netflix and home video (aka current situation)
- Disney XD TV and streaming on DisneyNow plus also Disney+ on a slight delay plus older catalog put on Disney+ excluding the four Miramax films
- Disney+ and no longer on Disney XD (still weekly episode releases) - and older catalog available on Disney+ excluding the four Miramax films
- Netflix
- HBO Max I mean given Warner did distribute Detective Pikachu and HBO has the premium TV rights for said movie and will be also on HBO Max as well at launch
Out of all the these, I could see 1 happening if the ratings were to get so bad, they'd be forced to move to streaming like so many other shows or 4 if they just want to get it over with. M22 is branded as an Netflix exclusive, they already gonna have all of the SM series as of April 1st and even has M20/M21. If they do go to HBO Max, something tells me it might be for the live-action content only ala Detective Pikachu and this rumored live-action tv series I've been seeing going around.

Out of all the these, I could see 1 happening if the ratings were to get so bad, they'd be forced to move to streaming like so many other shows or 4 if they just want to get it over with.

Given how huge the Pokemon franchise is... I would think the ending for Sun And Moon Ultra Legends would have done better than 0.02/120K in viewership on Disney XD. Now it's hard to know how well the show does streaming wise on DisneyNOW but I can't imagine it's very high over there.

M22 is branded as an Netflix exclusive, they already gonna have all of the SM series as of April 1st and even has M20/M21.

Plus Netflix has the first two thirds (minus banned episodes) of Indigo League. And M22 did get something I never imagined we would get officially - the original Japanese audio (or almost all of it given the opening/closing songs are swapped to the English songs).

If they do go to HBO Max, something tells me it might be for the live-action content only ala Detective Pikachu and this rumored live-action tv series I've been seeing going around.

The only reason why I could see the new series going to HBO Max is to establish HBO Max as the place to watch Pokemon exclusively in America as far as new episodes. But given how badly Cartoon Network treated Pokemon towards the end of their run with the series is the biggest reason why I can't see the new series going to HBO Max.

But who knows, right? It is fun to speculate I will admit to that.

Given how huge the Pokemon franchise is... I would think the ending for Sun And Moon Ultra Legends would have done better than 0.02/120K in viewership on Disney XD. Now it's hard to know how well the show does streaming wise on DisneyNOW but I can't imagine it's very high over there.

Ratings don't really matter much, if at all, for a series like Pokemon. Plus, Disney XD isn't as widely available compared to something like Cartoon Network, so that is going to affect the viewership. Besides all that, I'm not sure if the ending for SM would attract that much attention when all of the hype for Ash's Alola League victory happened when it aired in Japan.

TheLoonyRebel said:
The only reason why I could see the new series going to HBO Max is to establish HBO Max as the place to watch Pokemon exclusively in America as far as new episodes. But given how badly Cartoon Network treated Pokemon towards the end of their run with the series is the biggest reason why I can't see the new series going to HBO Max.

I'm not sure if that would necessarily attract a lot more attention for HBO Max, especially when they're primarily focused on the brands and properties that WB owns or have more control over. Disney+ would make a bit more sense given that there is more kid and family friendly content on that streaming service.

I still firmly believe that Disney XD will continue to air the anime. Despite how they're just airing reruns now, I'll still see some general promotion for SM Ultra Legends and they made a new version of their anime block promo just a few weeks before the season ended. It wouldn't be impossible for the series to move to a streaming service, but I just find it extremely unlikely. The writing was all over the wall for Cartoon Network dropping the dub, but Disney XD still seems to be interested enough in the show to air promos for reruns, so I don't know if I can see them dropping the series at this point.

I think the lack of info might have to do with COVID 19. I know Funimation has put its dubs on hold because of it. Just a theory.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom