• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

2020 Olympics Host City and New Sports Selection

Shinobu

Karamazov's oshimen
Reaction score
[video=youtube;HI3ErDjr4BY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI3ErDjr4BY[/video]

So this is happening tomorrow in Buenos Aires. The candidate cities are Madrid, Istanbul, and Tokyo.

Last edited:
Re: 2020 Olympics Host City Selection

I hope it's either Tokyo or Istanbul. But not Constantinople. Constantinople got the works. (I'm sorry, I just think of that song every time someone mentions Istanbul.)

Well it has been a while since ummm Asia? Tokyo I'm guessing because Spain had it in 1992 and Istanbul is a bit iffy at the moment.

Well it has been a while since ummm Asia? Tokyo I'm guessing because Spain had it in 1992 and Istanbul is a bit iffy at the moment.

*Cough* Beijing in 2008? *Cough*

So I had to look at some of the facilities for Tokyo's plan. They're putting Judo in the Budokan and making a venue for gymnastics (artistic, rhythmic and trampoline). I had thought they'd put gymnastics in the Budokan. Since Judo is mega-popular in Japan it needs a big venue.

I completely forgot about the sports in contention for inclusion in 2020. Baseball/softball, wrestling, and squash are candidates. The former two sports had been previously removed.

Is it selfish of me to want them to host it in Tokyo just because of the manga/film Akira? I mean, granted, that was Neo-Tokyo, in 2019 (somehow), but still...close enough, right?

Bring back baseball, IOC, please! It would make me so happy!

For the 2020 Olympics, it should be held in most likely Istanbul or Tokyo, because Madrid is too close to London where the recent Olympics were. I'm leaning towards Istanbul since it's in a country where the Olympics have never been held, since Tokyo hosted the 1969 Olympics and Spain hosted the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.

Japan has actually hosted the most Olympics of the three countries: Tokyo Summer 1964, Sapporo Winter 1972, and Nagano 1998.

Japan has actually hosted the most Olympics of the three countries: Tokyo Summer 1964, Sapporo Winter 1972, and Nagano 1998.

Yeah but this isn't for winter though.

My Japanese fanboy self is dancing inside. I'm happy for Tokyo for winning and was hoping they'd win. I know they have alot of problems right now with radioactive waste in Fukushima, but they could probably solve that in 7 years time. Since Istanbul being so close to Syria, I think the Olympic Committee figured it wouldn't be too safe with the war going on there. It's more likely that the war could be going on in Syria in 7 years than the situation in Tokyo.

My Japanese fanboy self is dancing inside. I'm happy for Tokyo for winning and was hoping they'd win. I know they have alot of problems right now with radioactive waste in Fukushima, but they could probably solve that in 7 years time. Since Istanbul being so close to Syria, I think the Olympic Committee figured it wouldn't be too safe with the war going on there. It's more likely that the war could be going on in Syria in 7 years than the situation in Tokyo.

With the way TEPCO is still handling things, unfortunatly its going to be more than 7 years for japan. I would like to go but with all of the things like radiation, im not willing to risk getting a major dose of radiation. If it was in Spain i would have maybe seen what i could do to go but im very leery about Tokyo since they still havent stopped the leaking radioactive water from going in the ocean. And with Instanbul, its not in a very stable region and is close to an area i will NOT travel to for ANY REASON

With the way TEPCO is still handling things, unfortunatly its going to be more than 7 years for japan. I would like to go but with all of the things like radiation, im not willing to risk getting a major dose of radiation. If it was in Spain i would have maybe seen what i could do to go but im very leery about Tokyo since they still havent stopped the leaking radioactive water from going in the ocean. And with Instanbul, its not in a very stable region and is close to an area i will NOT travel to for ANY REASON

Well I should of added that Tokyo isn't exactly close to Fukushima meaning they're way far away from any radiation there so I'm pretty sure it's safe. They wouldn't build any facilities in the radiation area and they figured Tokyo is far enough from the radiation site to assure it's safe for people to walk and live on. Japan's prime minister each reassured it will be safe.

And if anyone's wondering this is what the stadium is proposed to look like:

1264541_10151847431904216_1951004697_o.jpg

Love it. I'm very excited for 2020 to witness this.

Last edited:
Well I should of added that Tokyo isn't exactly close to Fukushima meaning they're way far away from any radiation there so I'm pretty sure it's safe. They wouldn't build any facilities in the radiation area and they figured Tokyo is far enough from the radiation site to assure it's safe for people to walk and live on. Japan's prime minister each reassured it will be safe.
Well... there have been reports of radiation spikes in the Tokyo area over the years. knowing how well the whole situation has been handled over the past 2.5 years doesnt put really any faith in me that the air and food supply are cleaned. with the prime minister and 98% of all politicans, i trust him as much as far as i can throw a huge mega sized cathedral pipe organ. I hugely doubt a wall of ICE will stop RADIATION from leaking out. it may contian radioactive water by freezing it but it doesnt stop the Radiation aspect. If it wasnt for the fear of Radiation, i would love to go to tokyo! I do find it odd that Tokyo wins and they still are dealing with the Fukushima problems still 2 years later. I dont know how voting is determined but there could have been some other factors in the voting process that would help determine who wins each 4 years

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom