• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review XY089: The Eievui Who is Shy of Strangers!? Capture at the Flower Garden!!

Mareepy

Psycho Tsutarja fans
Reaction score
Episode page here

Missed the first half of the episode, was eating dinner. :p

Anyways, I started at the part where Serena is watching Eevee dancing in the night. I gotta say I love that scene.

Serena's talk to Eevee is very well done, the emotion is very well handled and I love Eevee's reaction to it.

Hmmm, Eevee and Bunnelby...... hmmmm seems interesting. Although I am not quite a shipper but this one is kinda catching me off guard.

(No comment on Team Rocket appearance, directing Pokemon attack on human etc, I simply don't care now)

Will write my full review later :p

I am a fan of whoever decided Bunnelby should be so involved with everything these days!

Great episode; lots of small details with the interactions of all the gangs Pokemon!

Here's my summary of the episode.

The episode starts off with Ash and co. walking through a forest.

Serena is watching the announcement video of the upcoming Anistar Pokemon Showcase on her Town Map.

Monsieur Pierre is talking about it in the video.

Serena is excited about the upcoming Pokemon Showcase.

Ash and co. then walk out of the forest, to a clear flowery field.

Bonnie rolls on the flowery ground along with Dedenne.

Two Meadow Pattern Vivillon fly by and then two Hoppip pass by Ash and co. as well.

Ash and co. think that this is a nice place to take a break.

Ash, Serena and Clemont all let out their Pokemon.

All of the groups Pokemon are playing or resting around the area.

Team Rocket are nearby, spying on Ash and co.

Jessie talks about the upcoming Pokemon Showcase in Anistar City.

Serena picks some flowers from the ground and uses the flowers to create a headband.

Bonnie, Dedenne, Braixen and Pancham are with Serena.

Serena and her group poke there head around a nearby boulder.

They see a flat rocky platform behind the boulder and there is an Eevee dancing on the platform.

Serena looks up Eevee on her Pokedex.

After Eevee notices that Serena and her group are watching the dancing Eevee, it stops dancing and runs away.

Team Rocket are talking again as they spy on Ash and co.

Ash and Clemont are sitting at a table and are having a drink.

Serena and her group join Ash and Clemont.

Serena tells Ash and Clemont about the Eevee that she saw.

Ash and co. leave the table and Clemont says that he has an idea of how to find the Eevee that Serena and Bonnie saw.

Clemont reveals to the others and the group's Pokemon an invention of his.

The invention uses multiple satellites to track nearby Pokemon in the area around it.

Clemont activates the invention to find the Eevee.

The invention finds multiple different Pokemon near Ash and co., but none of them are an Eevee.

The invention then explodes.

The explosion has messed up Clemont's appearance.

Ash and co., along with all of their Pokemon go looking for the Eevee around the flower field and the nearby forest.

Eventually, Eevee is seen hiding on a tree branch in the forest as Serena and Bonnie walk through the same forest.

Serena then puts the flowery headband that she made earlier on a rock, so that it might lure Eevee out of hiding.

It is now night time and Eevee comes to the rock, the one that Serena laid the flowery headband on.

Eevee picks up the flowery headband with its mouth and throws it on top of its head.

Eevee is happy and then runs away.

Pokemon Quiz: Eevee.

During the middle of the night, Serena, who is in her pyjama's, and her Braixen and Pancham, who are by Serena's side, walk out of their tent and go for a walk.

Serena and her Pokemon walk up to the top of a hill, near the hill's slope.

They all notice that Eevee is wearing the flowery headband that Serena made and that Eevee is dancing on the same rocky platform that it danced on earlier that day.

Serena and her Pokemon then take a seat from where they were standing.

Serena and her Pokemon happily watch as Eevee joyously dances.

It is now morning time.

Ash and co. are all now wearing their usual daytime clothes.

Serena tells Ash, Clemont and Bonnie that she will now be performing a practice routine for the upcoming Anistar Pokemon Showcase with her Braixen and Pancham.

Serena and her Pokemon stand on the rocky platform that Eevee danced on the previous day and use it for their practise performance.

Serena and her Pokemon perform their practise routine.

Eevee then arrives close by to where Ash and co. are.

Eevee is watching Serena's practise routine from behind a small boulder.

After Serena and her Pokemon perform the routine, Ash and co. notice that Eevee is nearby.

Serena gets down off the rocky platform along with her Pokemon and she talks to the Eevee.

Serena tries to convince the Eevee that it doesn't need to be shy of her and the others.

A blue electric web-like net then shoots out of the sky and captures Eevee.

Team Rocket then show up, which annoys Ash and co.

Team Rocket's presence leads Ash and co. to understanding that Team Rocket are the ones who captured the Eevee.

Team Rocket say their motto.

Jessie sends out her Gourgeist and then James sends out his Inkay.

Ash and co. then battle against Team Rocket.

Ash's Pikachu fights James's Inkay.

During Ash and co.'s battle against Team Rocket, the blue electric net around Eevee gets destroyed.

Eevee is now falling towards the ground.

Serena sees that Eevee is falling towards the ground, so she runs towards it.

As Serena is running towards Eevee, she dodges some Pokemon attacks that are hitting the ground near her.

Eventually Serena gets close to Eevee, so she jumps in the air and catches Eevee before Eevee fell to the ground.

An attack is fired towards Eevee, but just as it is about to hit Eevee, Eevee uses Protect to shield itself from the attack.

Eevee then uses Swift on Team Rocket.

Ash and co. continue to attack Team Rocket with their Pokemon.

Team Rocket blasts off.

Serena talks to Eevee again.

Serena asks Eevee if it wants to join her as one of her Pokemon.

Eevee says yes.

Serena takes out one of her empty Poke Ball's and gently pushes it on Eevee's head.

Eevee goes inside Serena's empty Poke Ball.

The Poke Ball twitches a few time and then it eventually stops twitching.

Serena has now caught the Eevee.

Serena does a pose with Eevee's Poke Ball and her two other Pokemon after she has caught the Eevee.

Serena sends her Eevee from out of its Poke Ball.

Ash and Clemont then send the rest of their Pokemon out from their Poke Ball's, to say "Hi" to Serena's Eevee.

After Eevee sees the rest of the group's Pokemon, it runs behind Serena because of its shyness.

Eevee then runs around everyone until it comes to Ash's Hawlucha.

Ash's Hawlucha spreads out its wings and that scares Eevee, so Eevee keeps running around everyone.

Eevee then hides behind Clemont's Bunnelby and is happy there.

Clemont says something to Bunnelby.

Chespin is jealous that Eevee would rather be with Bunnelby than itself.

Chespin chases Eevee around Bunnelby, causing Bunnelby to become dizzy.

Serena picks up her Eevee and holds her into the air as she looks into Eevee's eyes happily.

To be continued.

Seen the photos - still trying to dry the tears of happiness.
So excited that Eevee choose Serena (she now has 2 Pokemon I really love! Eevee & Braixen).
Getting a chance to see all the Pokemon was awesome too.
Easily my most favorite XY episode

Dedenne loses the daisy chain headband Serena makes for it, the headband rolls down a hill. Pancham picks it up and gives the headband to Dedenne, then everyone sees Eevee dancing.

Jessie wants to capture Eevee as a performer, Meowth acts like he could do that, but gets ignored.

I assume Ash encourages Serena to capture Eevee.

Clemont's invention explodes because he's searching for Eevee by size, but there are so many Pokemon around that are in the size range, it overloads and explodes (LOL at Clemont looking so depressed in the next few scenes).

Two significant points :-
While Serena is searching for Eevee, it calls out to her from a tree and stops her walking off a cliff. She see Eevee and thanks it, but Eevee runs away.
After the search, our heroes place macarons around the forest to lure Eevee out. Everyone stops to talk about it, during their conversation, Bunnelby sees Eevee sneak out of the undergrowth and steal a macaron but keeps quiet about it (there's also a Chespin joke where he gets blamed for stealing the macaron, but that's not very significant).

Serena does a performance to show Eevee how much fun they are and to lure it out.

Serena battles Team Rocket first, and is just as involved in the battle as Ash is. When Eevee is freed, it runs away with Team Rocket in pursuit. Serena jumps in between them to shield Eevee and battles them again, this makes Eevee step in and use Protect when Team Rocket attack Serena.

When Team Rocket blast off, meowth says something else that's probably about him being a great performer.

Bonnie and Dedenne join in the chase around Bunnelby for fun.

Another great Serena episode and another example of how poorly-served she is by the writers. She cares about Pokemon, she'll battle for them, she'll put herself in harm's way to protect them. Her kindness and commitment to Pokemon makes them want to help her and be with her.
Again I'm left feeling that two female characters are a mistake/something the writers can't deal with properly. The Serena portrayed here could easily have taken Bonnie's role two episodes ago with no differences in the plot at all.

Last edited:
Finally, Serena's second capture. And man was it great.

Lol, Bonnie and Dedenne rolling around in the grass. That was cute. In fact, the enitre scene of the gang playing around was cute. I like how Ash was playing with Pikachu, Frogadier sprayed water at Hawlucha, Noibat was flying with Talonflame, and Serena made flower accessories for herself, Braxien, Bonnie, and Dedenne. I also particularly enjoyed Pancham helping Dedenne get his crown back when it rolled away. Hm, an Eevee dancing on a rock in the middle of a giant field. Well that's not something you see everyday. Lol. I lol'd a Braxien demonstrating a dance move with Pancham and Chespin trying to imitate her during Serena's explanation.

Alright so the search for Eevee begins...with an invention...that fails. Well Clemont's off to a good start:/ I did like the searching scenes; especially the Pidgey getting scared by Talonflame. I also thought Frogadier looking underwater was funny yet odd since...well most Eevee don't just chill underwater. I thought that was odd, but then the damn thing showed up in a tree and was hopping on branches, which I also wouldn't expect! Lol. And holy crap, Eevee saved Serena's life!

Seriously siblings, you put two PokePuffs within 5 feet of each other? Doesn't that seem a bit suspicious? Oh well. I did love how Bunnelby totally saw Eevee, told her to take the PokePuff and didn't say anything to the group. I also loved seeing Chespin getting blamed for stealing the food. Serves him right for stealing the other mon's food so much.

Wow, Pancham sleeps with his glasses on. That's so awesome. Damn, Eevee really is a great dancer. I wonder what would make a wild Pokemon so into dancing? Moving on, I loved the music that played when Serena showed off her performance.

There was something pretty epic about Serena running through that line of Seed Bomb to save Eevee. But damn, Eevee was still scared of Serena even after she saved her. Geez. Well at least she went back to save her. Aw, the scene where she finally let Serena pet her was so cute. Looks like Eevee is still shy around the other Pokemon, except Bunnelby. But I will say that Hawlucha's attempt at a greeting was cute. And lol at everyone running circles around the dizzy bunny.

Overall a really nice episode for Serena's second capture. 9/10.

Okay, Ms Kanai's done a pretty bland Eureka so far... Not all her lines're bad, though, but there're ones... Wow.

In times like this I'm glad it wasn't Serena's VA who got some new child vacations.

Now, I don't know you guys, but I LOLed hard at Horubii all dizzy in the tail-end when Eievui and Harimaron're running around it xD

I almost forgot that Serena had such a small party. Now it's a party of three. This episode sure was cute.

This marks the first time I've seen a new Pokemon episode raw. I'll see it again subbed and once again dubbed.

This was a very good episode! First off, I love how they incorporated a title of a novel into the episode's title. I actually like Catcher in the Rye. It's a good book.

The episode starts with Serena looking at her...map thingy that also has video app (I forgot what sort of device that thing is called) and learns about the Showcase in Anistar City. I think this makes it the second time it's held in the same place where the Gym is.

I love the details the animators used for the flower field. I like how they all took a break. The Pokemons' interactions were cute. I liked how Talonflame and Noibat were flying in the sky together and then Frogadier and Hawlucha got into a squabble because Frogadier ignored Hawlucha. Also liked how Team Rocket (mainly James and Meowth) wanted to take a break, but Jessie was like "NO!"

Serena's talent for crafts is shown again in this episode as she makes flower crowns. The one she made is really pretty. I also like how she made a hairtie for Bonnie and a small one for Dedenne. The transition to them finding Eevee dancing was quite clever. They could've done something else, but the way they used the falling flower crown as the catalyst to finding Eevee was great. Also, I thought Meowth's dancing was cute. Am I the only one?

I liked how Ash was the one who scared off Eevee since his voice is so loud. Serena seems really entranced with Eevee's dancing. Also, I like how Clemont's machine from XY071 makes a new and improved return, only to explode again. I also liked how he sulked after failing again.

Eevee saving Serena from falling and then putting on the flower crown she left behind as a thank-you gift was sweet. I love the animation when Eevee was dancing in the moonlight. Could this be a hint to Eevee being an Umbreon? Umbreon was shown in the Pokemon Quiz as well. Well, if it evolves to either Sylveon or Umbreon, it doesn't matter because it means that Serena raised Eevee very well in order for it to evolve into those evolutions.

I also loved how Bunnelby saw Eevee and allowed it to take the pokepuff. Everyone blaming Chespin made me think how Karma was going to bite it sooner or later. More Bunnelby focus is a good thing, though. Perhaps Bunnelby's actions that led it to Chespin being blamed was its revenge for the events that happened in XY083?

Serena running through the Seed Bomb in order to save Eevee was EPIC! This scene alone shows Serena's growth as a character. She did this when Fennekin was captured during the episode where Pancham was caught. I like how the show is very thorough with Eevee's shyness as it ran off after Serena caught it from falling to the ground.

With Protect and Swift, I think it'll make a good Pokemon for performances. I also like how Eevee finally warmed up to Serena by cuddling her hand. The ending where Eevee, Chespin, Bonnie and Dedenne were circling around Bunnelby was hilarious and how Bunnelby fell down with swirly eyes from dizziness.

Wonderful episode! It's definitely a 9/10. can't wait for next week's episode!

Fantastic episode to introduce Eevee to Serena's team. I like Bunnelby's protective nature towards Eevee. This trait is shown in the next episode too, so it will be very interesting. The next episode will be very interesting as well as the Showcase. Can't wait for more of Eevee's episodes.

Finally finished the episode from start to finish. This episode is AWESOME!

Eevee saving Serena from the cliff is hella a surprise. I never thought they will choose to make their second metting this way. Serena left the flower headband as a thank you gift. Which is a great writing.

Clemont's invention is for when Bonnie gets lost? Wouldn't it target every single kid in the city? Did it even work back then? Wouldn't it overload and explode in big cities like Lumiose? If it worked back then, I don't think the number of wild Pokemons with small size is that much more than the number of kids in big cities. Whatever. (Edit: I figured it out, Clemont made machines for unneeded situations, so the situation is likely Bonnie never went lost, so the machine was never used)

So whoever's plan it is, Pokepuff plan worked. Its just Bunnelby. I don't know why. Its just.... Bunnelby..... Why again? Nice that Chespin got blamed though, he did go onto the stump in full intention to eat it, and its a very funny scene. And lets not forget Bunnelby's eye shifting and that hohoho.... excellent! He seems relieved that Chespin took the blame for it. And what was Bunnelby thinking during the dinner section? I have no idea. Bunnelby's initial 'I saw nothing' reaction and him being shocked when Chespin jumped onto the stump means he is not trying to blame it on Chespin, so I really don't know whats happening here.

And then its a Eevee dancing in the night scene where infinite praise should be given upon. Simply beautiful. And I love how Serena, Braixen and Pancham just watch, from a far distance and chose not to disturb her. And their eyes filled with nothing but admiring. This is just so good.

Serena spotted Eevee very quickly and talked to her. I love they way Serena talked to Eevee. Serena showing that she will protect Eevee and then Eevee replied with the same. This is awesome!

Chespin's envy meter just exploded. He can't stand Eevee being closer to Bunnelby than him? Wow. But Eevee was afraid of all other Pokemon and human anyways. With Serena, Braixen, Pancham and Bunnelby being the exception.

Overall a very well written episode that I'd put 'will watch again' tag on it. 13/10.

Last edited:
Enjoyable episode, significant improvement from the past two weeks (they were alright but not amazing at all).

Eevee was very adorable, the shyness probably brought that out more. Even though it's a major part of Eevee's character I did find it a little odd that she started to run off after Serena put herself on the line to save her, at least when Serena was about to get hit she came back and Protected her. Literally, Eevee used Protect. :p Could just be coincidence but in both episodes where Serena has captured a Pokemon they've had Jessie attempt to directly attack Serena, but it's ended up being prevented by the Pokemon in focus. The ending where she ran around trying to find someone to hide behind was really cute, then the final shot of Serena holding Eevee, awww. :]

Speaking of that final shot, Bunnelby, lol! I loved the start of the episode where they all let their Pokemon out and they all just did what they wanted. Frogadier trolling Hawlucha was great, and just seeing everyone's reactions to Chespin in this episode were great too. Especially Luxray, he seems fed up with him already, haha.

Something I thought about was that the scene where Serena, Braixen and Pancham were watching Eevee at night looked fairly similar to the one from the opening. Hmm. It doesn't mean much but I just thought I should mention it.

I loved this episode despite myself! As I've said before, Pokemon is at its best when it does slice-of-life-y stuff.

No.1 star of the episode has to be Nyasu though - why so cute?! :crush: My heart melted like nothing else. (And I also love Sonansu's little "Sooo?" after Musashi and Kojiro just ignored the dancing!!)

I also enjoyed the small glimpses into everyone's character traits - Useless Dedenne, Harimaron the Clown, Responsible Horubee (who is slowly creeping into my "Favourite Pokemon in the Group" slot...), Cheeky Lil' Maaiika (when it took down Pikachu OMG!), Citron scolding Harimaron and frickin Satoshi shouting every time Eevee came within 100 ft of him :p

Speaking of Eevee - Protect and Swift - UGH - so predictable and boring!!!

+1 for more scenes of Satoshi and Citron sleeping <3

I'm foreseeing that Bunnelby and Eevee will have a Noibat/Hawlucha kind of relationship. Just maybe.

I thought that this was a solid episode, but what I enjoyed the most was the portrayal of Eevee's shyness and timidness. I felt that it was very realistic, at least for this anime, how Eevee shied away from everyone and the next episode seems like will continue Eevee's story of adapting to its new family which should be fun to watch. I only hope this personality remains as I want to see more cute, nervous Eevee.

And Bunnelby is slowly becoming one of my favorites, what he did to Chespin...RESPECT!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom