• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

20th Anniversary: Other Game Ideas

Lumiose City and Azure Bay disagree.
They were only two small locations in a whole region, so would GameFreak go through the trouble of adding C-Stick compatibility when it would see such little use? I will admit that Lumiose City in particular could have really benefited from being able to adjust the camera angle (but couldn't GameFreak have simply let us use the L and R buttons for that if they wanted?).

If anything, I think that if the next handheld has a C-stick (or an actual second circle pad) from the get-go, it could be a nice excuse for a perspective change.

I didn't mind the C-stick at all, I thought it was pretty snazzy to use. With the massive size and layout that Lumoise had, it was definitely useful if you were in a hurry to get from one end to the other.

How about we make a Pokémon league (i mean not regional but international league) where you can beat all champions from Blue to Diantha, and after beating them all you have to beat the old "RED". who's with me???

As long as it has all of this, I don't care where it takes place. It needs all of the features that were abandoned along the way.

Apricorn balls
Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

Good luck fitting all of that into one game. Even on a good day, I don't think they could ever make a game that packed with content.

Don't the 3D game cartridges fit like 8GB or something, whereas the DS cartridges were 4GB and the GBA games were like 3GB or something, with the actual X/Y games being like 2 GB of data? They could totally fill up a cartridge with all of these features. Whether or not they could combine them all in a WELL-DONE way is another matter altogether. But the space is there, for sure.

They were only two small locations in a whole region, so would GameFreak go through the trouble of adding C-Stick compatibility when it would see such little use? I will admit that Lumiose City in particular could have really benefited from being able to adjust the camera angle (but couldn't GameFreak have simply let us use the L and R buttons for that if they wanted?).

If anything, I think that if the next handheld has a C-stick (or an actual second circle pad) from the get-go, it could be a nice excuse for a perspective change.

Lumisoe City was designed as the hub of the Kalos region, so that is a pretty big deal. And no, L and R wouldn't work because you need more than just rotation, you need a zoom feature. Azure Bay was a pain to navigate because the camera was too zoomed in for you to know where you're going, you were practically blind.

Kalos may not have used it much, but that doesn't mean they won't want to in the future. They may feel limited by a fixed camera and want to take advantage of the C Stick to create new map designs.

As long as it has all of this, I don't care where it takes place. It needs all of the features that were abandoned along the way.

Apricorn balls
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

Good luck fitting all of that into one game. Even on a good day, I don't think they could ever make a game that packed with content.

Don't the 3D game cartridges fit like 8GB or something, whereas the DS cartridges were 4GB and the GBA games were like 3GB or something, with the actual X/Y games being like 2 GB of data? They could totally fill up a cartridge with all of these features. Whether or not they could combine them all in a WELL-DONE way is another matter altogether. But the space is there, for sure.

Storage space isn't the only factor that limits content. There's also time and money, and this many extra features would likely take an eternity to work on. Even the most content heavy Pokemon games have had anywhere near this much content, so this is pretty unrealistic.

They probably could, but they won't. That'd be too much effort and it would make all subsequent games a letdown (or take forever to release, if they were to include those elements in every game thenceforth).

Apricorn balls
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

GBA cartridges were about 16MB, I believe. DS cartridges were 512MB and 3DS cartridges are indeed 8GB. The features described actually don't take up too much space. The bulk of storage is taken up by textures, models and sound files. Smaller simple features are easily doable. New areas could just use existing textures and models, and while trainer customization and new buildings & stuff would need new models and textures, I can't imagine it'd take more than a couple hundred MB to get all of this looking reasonable on the 3DS's puny little 240p screen.

Apricorn balls
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization

You will never ever see another game corner again, due to the whole gambling non-sense. But a lot of those would be cool... and some (Like the Park Ball and Perma-running) wouldn't be too hard to add in AFAIK.

Apricorn balls
Trainer Hill
Game Corner
Safari Zone
Pokémon Contests
Sevii Islands
Secret Bases
Underground
Park Ball
Walking Pokémon
Seals and Ball Capsules
Dream World
Entralink
Dark Grass
Phenomena
Seasons
Pokémon Musical
Perma-running
Pokéstar Studios
Pokémon World Tournament
Unova Link
Hidden Grotoes
Trainer Customization
There's never going to be a game with all these features at once. Gamefreak purposely removes features to use them as selling points for future games (like HGSS and walking pokemon).

Do i condone this pratice by Gamefreak? No. But it doesn't matter because this what Gamefreak likes to do.

Also, we had the Battle Tower in every game since RS, they just changed its name.

GBA cartridges were about 16MB, I believe. DS cartridges were 512MB and 3DS cartridges are indeed 8GB. The features described actually don't take up too much space. The bulk of storage is taken up by textures, models and sound files. Smaller simple features are easily doable. New areas could just use existing textures and models, and while trainer customization and new buildings & stuff would need new models and textures, I can't imagine it'd take more than a couple hundred MB to get all of this looking reasonable on the 3DS's puny little 240p screen.

So lemme see... If a 3DS cartridge is 8GB, then... wouldn't all previous games be able to fit inside just one of the Generation 6 games?

16MB times 5 games is 80MB. Plus 9 games with 512MB each, would be 4608.

So 4688MB converted into GB would be 4.688 GB. And I can't imagine the original Kanto-Johto games are bigger than the Hoenn games. So let's say a maximum of... 5GB? That'd all fit on a 3DS cartridge.

GameFreak should release all Generation 1-5 games on a single 3DS cartridge and call it "The Pokémon Collection". THAT would be an AWESOME 20th anniversary present from them to us. No one's going to buy many of the old games now anyway, and most are hard to find, so GameFreak should take advantage of nostalgia and the fact that people want to replay the old games exactly how they were. Plus, being on a 3DS cartridge would completely negate the main complaint of replaying Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal: THE BATTERY.

That way all the features I listed would be featured in a game. And then we'd finally get a Pokémon game with multiple save files, because you'd have a save file in Blue, a save file in Silver, a save file in Sapphire, etc. :D

So lemme see... If a 3DS cartridge is 8GB, then... wouldn't all previous games be able to fit inside just one of the Generation 6 games?

So 4688MB converted into GB would be 4.688 GB. And I can't imagine the original Kanto-Johto games are bigger than the Hoenn games. So let's say a maximum of... 5GB? That'd all fit on a 3DS cartridge.

GameFreak should release all Generation 1-5 games on a single 3DS cartridge and call it "The Pokémon Collection". THAT would be an AWESOME 20th anniversary present from them to us. No one's going to buy many of the old games now anyway, and most are hard to find, so GameFreak should take advantage of nostalgia and the fact that people want to replay the old games exactly how they were. Plus, being on a 3DS cartridge would completely negate the main complaint of replaying Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal: THE BATTERY.

That way all the features I listed would be featured in a game. And then we'd finally get a Pokémon game with multiple save files, because you'd have a save file in Blue, a save file in Silver, a save file in Sapphire, etc. :D

Not gonna happen. Game Freak isn't gonna have all those features in one game that they abandon when they move to the next game or generation. There will also not be a Kanto/Sinnoh remakes, they never do two remakes in one generation. The next games are likely the next installment of Kalos where they focus their attention on Zygarde or they move on to Gen 7. Case closed.

Not gonna happen. Game Freak isn't gonna have all those features in one game that they abandon when they move to the next game or generation. There will also not be a Kanto/Sinnoh remakes, they never do two remakes in one generation. The next games are likely the next installment of Kalos where they focus their attention on Zygarde or they move on to Gen 7. Case closed.

Just like they never did two regions in one generation either. Or two Pokemon generations on the same hardware.

There is absolutely nothing dictating that they can only do one remake per gen, and the circumstances have changed at this point to where two remakes in the same generation would be a plausible idea (FRLG is equally as out of date as Hoenn was, and next generation Sinnoh and Unova become out of date).

There is nothing "closed" about this scenario.

Best idea yet.

I do kind of like the "collection" of all past games idea. I doubt it's really likely to happen, but I'd love it if they did it. Didn't the Mario series get something like that for its 25th anniversary? (or was it Kirby? or both? can't remember)

What I just described is not ONE game, nor is it a REMAKE. It's a RE-RELEASE collection of every game from Red to White 2, like those GBA cartridges that came with two games, back in the day. Except this would have every Pokémon game to date.

And you need to learn some damn respect for other people's opinions, you sound like a child. CASE CLOSED.

Best idea yet.

Thank you! ^_^ I doubt Game Freak would do this, but since the franchise's slogan is "Catch 'Em All" and most people don't have all of the games, this would be a great way to... "Buy Them All"! LOL And to support the 20th Anniversary, they could release an event legendary from Gens 1-5 per month during the entire year, all of which would only be encounter-able in "The Pokémon Collection" as opposed to X/Y/OR/AS. And TPC could be compatible with Pokémon Bank for added fun. Who hasn't dreamed of moving up their team from their original Red/Blue version all the way to OR/AS? This would make it possible!

What I just described is not ONE game, nor is it a REMAKE. It's a RE-RELEASE collection of every game from Red to White 2, like those GBA cartridges that came with two games, back in the day. Except this would have every Pokémon game to date.

And you need to learn some damn respect for other people's opinions, you sound like a child. CASE CLOSED.

Best idea yet.

Thank you! ^_^ I doubt Game Freak would do this, but since the franchise's slogan is "Catch 'Em All" and most people don't have all of the games, this would be a great way to... "Buy Them All"! LOL And to support the 20th Anniversary, they could release an event legendary from Gens 1-5 per month during the entire year, all of which would only be encounter-able in "The Pokémon Collection" as opposed to X/Y/OR/AS. And TPC could be compatible with Pokémon Bank for added fun. Who hasn't dreamed of moving up their team from their original Red/Blue version all the way to OR/AS? This would make it possible!

It would pretty much need to be Bank compatible in order to complete the Pokedex in that game.

I do hope gamefreak does it... BUT if they want to be able to move the pokemon all the way from Red to OR, they'll need to make changes to the originals as there is a reason why you can't trade from gen 2 to gen 3. Either that or Pokemon Bank can take care of converting gen 1 and 2 pokemon to gen 6 data format.

Either way, they'd definitely have to make changes to the link cable system in the pre-gen 4 games. 3DSes do not have link cable support :p

It would pretty much need to be Bank compatible in order to complete the Pokedex in that game.

True. For some reason I thought you'd be able to trade with yourself (say, your Red Blastoise with your Blue Venusaur), but you'd need to be online on both save files at once for that.

I do hope gamefreak does it... BUT if they want to be able to move the pokemon all the way from Red to OR, they'll need to make changes to the originals as there is a reason why you can't trade from gen 2 to gen 3. Either that or Pokemon Bank can take care of converting gen 1 and 2 pokemon to gen 6 data format.

Either way, they'd definitely have to make changes to the link cable system in the pre-gen 4 games. 3DSes do not have link cable support :p

There would really only have to be two major changes and nothing else.

1) How Pokémon are created in the Kanto and Johto originals. Generation 1 and 2 Pokémon were very basic, even to the point of not having genders (Generation 1) or abilities or natures. In a hypothetical Collection game, all Pokémon would be generated with the same algorithms and programs that Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokémon are, but all of this data would be invisible until said Kanto or Johto Pokémon would be uploaded to Pokémon Bank and downloaded into a Hoenn game.

2) As for trading, I'm sure the games could be patched to have Wi-Fi capabilities. If a Collection could theoretically be made by fans (all Pokémon games are found online as ROMs and could be uploaded to a 3DS cartridge that has been wiped clean), then I'm sure Game Freak themselves (which have all the games and their source codes) could make the first 12 games Wi-Fi compatible. Luckily, the next 9 already are.

At the very least they should make it possible to locally trade/battle over wireless, which I hope they do for the probably more likely Red/Blue eShop release. (I see them doing this for the 20th anniversary)
I wonder about the old spinoff titles though. Why is Pokémon Pinball oddly missing from eShop which has a nearly complete GB/GBC spinoff library? It's the only game missing from making that truly complete. Why have TCG and Puzzle and no Pinball? (and I still don't understand why GBA titles are only available to Wii U users when they really should and could be played on the 3DS, so I'd want Pinball RS to make its way to the 3DS eshop too but I know that's not happening)

True. For some reason I thought you'd be able to trade with yourself (say, your Red Blastoise with your Blue Venusaur), but you'd need to be online on both save files at once for that.
No. Pokemon Bank.

There would really only have to be two major changes and nothing else.

1) How Pokémon are created in the Kanto and Johto originals. Generation 1 and 2 Pokémon were very basic, even to the point of not having genders (Generation 1) or abilities or natures. In a hypothetical Collection game, all Pokémon would be generated with the same algorithms and programs that Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokémon are, but all of this data would be invisible until said Kanto or Johto Pokémon would be uploaded to Pokémon Bank and downloaded into a Hoenn game.

2) As for trading, I'm sure the games could be patched to have Wi-Fi capabilities. If a Collection could theoretically be made by fans (all Pokémon games are found online as ROMs and could be uploaded to a 3DS cartridge that has been wiped clean), then I'm sure Game Freak themselves (which have all the games and their source codes) could make the first 12 games Wi-Fi compatible. Luckily, the next 9 already are.

Those two major changes assume that the games are even compatible with modern processors. The 3DS is a lot more advanced machine than the original gameboy, so I'd assume they'd have to optimize it for the 3DS's CPU and ram set up.

I still hope they do it but I just thought of that and it may make it less likely.

Back
Top Bottom