• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

20th Anniversary: Other Game Ideas

One of the reasons it's super unlikely is that they wouldn't want anything to grab attention from the current releases. Why let us play RS when they want us to buy ORAS? Why let us get DPt when they want us to buy the inevitable DPt remake? It's dumb but it's at least one of the reasons they'd have not to do the "collection" idea.

All we're going to get for the 20th annviersairy is Z just like all the other 3rd versions, nothing special there I am afraid. SO Platinum remakes or anything like that. At a stretch maybe a RBY remake but even that is at a stretch.

I'm amazed at people who don't expect Generation VII to be released next year. It's fairly obvious that it will be released for the 3DS (with New 3DS enhancements, in which Masuda has expressed interested but not as part of the current generation), and the best time for that is next year around the 20th anniversary. From Satoru Iwata's recent Q&A session:

Q: Based on the latest financial results, I presume that it would be difficult to turn a stable and significant profit from the existing businesses because Nintendo 3DS has entered the latter half of its product lifecycle and Wii U is expensive to produce. Would you give me some clues about your outlook for the fiscal year ending March 2017?

A: Following the generally accepted theory on platform lifecycles, it is natural for you to presume that the sales of Nintendo 3DS will drop X percent each year or we cannot expect a huge increase in Wii U sales. On another front, we have witnessed one single software title completely change the entire picture of our business many times. I believe one of the most impressive stories was the time when people thought the Game Boy platform was virtually over. However, a software title called "Pokémon" turned things around for the platform and ended up creating the biggest annual sales for Game Boy in the latter half of the platform’s eventual lifecycle. Therefore, we do not believe that the situation so far means that there will not be a bright future.
It's a safe bet that Nintendo's plan for the 3DS' resurgence involves Pokémon in a big way, and a mere return to Kalos isn't the way to achieve that. Whatever happens next year won't be as big as Pokémon's birth in 1996, but it will mirror it in some way.

No. Pokemon Bank.
I do hope gamefreak does it... BUT if they want to be able to move the pokemon all the way from Red to OR, they'll need to make changes to the originals as there is a reason why you can't trade from gen 2 to gen 3. Either that or Pokemon Bank can take care of converting gen 1 and 2 pokemon to gen 6 data format.

Either way, they'd definitely have to make changes to the link cable system in the pre-gen 4 games. 3DSes do not have link cable support :p

There would really only have to be two major changes and nothing else.

1) How Pokémon are created in the Kanto and Johto originals. Generation 1 and 2 Pokémon were very basic, even to the point of not having genders (Generation 1) or abilities or natures. In a hypothetical Collection game, all Pokémon would be generated with the same algorithms and programs that Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova Pokémon are, but all of this data would be invisible until said Kanto or Johto Pokémon would be uploaded to Pokémon Bank and downloaded into a Hoenn game.

2) As for trading, I'm sure the games could be patched to have Wi-Fi capabilities. If a Collection could theoretically be made by fans (all Pokémon games are found online as ROMs and could be uploaded to a 3DS cartridge that has been wiped clean), then I'm sure Game Freak themselves (which have all the games and their source codes) could make the first 12 games Wi-Fi compatible. Luckily, the next 9 already are.

Those two major changes assume that the games are even compatible with modern processors. The 3DS is a lot more advanced machine than the original gameboy, so I'd assume they'd have to optimize it for the 3DS's CPU and ram set up.

I still hope they do it but I just thought of that and it may make it less likely.

I mean, I don't think it would take too much tampering with the code to make them all compatible. No one knows these games better than Game Freak.

Those two major changes assume that the games are even compatible with modern processors. The 3DS is a lot more advanced machine than the original gameboy, so I'd assume they'd have to optimize it for the 3DS's CPU and ram set up.

I still hope they do it but I just thought of that and it may make it less likely.

I mean, I don't think it would take too much tampering with the code to make them all compatible. No one knows these games better than Game Freak.

That is true, but we can speculate on what they'd need to do based on what we know of the hardware systems.

In order for the games to run natively, they would have to port the games to the 3DS's operating system and hardware. Which i'm sure would be no small feat.

But i'm just thinking... they could opt to emulate the Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance, similar to how Nintendo Virtual Console works. Gen 4 and 5 wouldn't need emulating because they already run natively on the 3DS AFAIK.

But if they emulate, i don't think they will be able to take advantage of Nintendo Network. It'd also risk running slower or having emulation glitches.

Just food for thought anyway. I have no idea how they plan to celebrate it. I hope they do more than just give us another Kalos game. I'd love to see the Pokemon Game collection idea, but i'd also settle for gen 7.

I would like to see a release of Red/Blue or Red/Green on the eShop. That would be an outstanding release that would make a good deal of money for them. People wouldn't emulate the games on their phone (as much) they were easily available on the eShop.

GBA cartridges were about 16MB, I believe. DS cartridges were 512MB and 3DS cartridges are indeed 8GB. The features described actually don't take up too much space. The bulk of storage is taken up by textures, models and sound files. Smaller simple features are easily doable. New areas could just use existing textures and models, and while trainer customization and new buildings & stuff would need new models and textures, I can't imagine it'd take more than a couple hundred MB to get all of this looking reasonable on the 3DS's puny little 240p screen.

So lemme see... If a 3DS cartridge is 8GB, then... wouldn't all previous games be able to fit inside just one of the Generation 6 games?

16MB times 5 games is 80MB. Plus 9 games with 512MB each, would be 4608.

So 4688MB converted into GB would be 4.688 GB. And I can't imagine the original Kanto-Johto games are bigger than the Hoenn games. So let's say a maximum of... 5GB? That'd all fit on a 3DS cartridge.

GameFreak should release all Generation 1-5 games on a single 3DS cartridge and call it "The Pokémon Collection". THAT would be an AWESOME 20th anniversary present from them to us. No one's going to buy many of the old games now anyway, and most are hard to find, so GameFreak should take advantage of nostalgia and the fact that people want to replay the old games exactly how they were. Plus, being on a 3DS cartridge would completely negate the main complaint of replaying Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal: THE BATTERY.

That way all the features I listed would be featured in a game. And then we'd finally get a Pokémon game with multiple save files, because you'd have a save file in Blue, a save file in Silver, a save file in Sapphire, etc. :D

Not gonna happen. Game Freak isn't gonna have all those features in one game that they abandon when they move to the next game or generation. There will also not be a Kanto/Sinnoh remakes, they never do two remakes in one generation. The next games are likely the next installment of Kalos where they focus their attention on Zygarde or they move on to Gen 7. Case closed.

What I just described is not ONE game, nor is it a REMAKE. It's a RE-RELEASE collection of every game from Red to White 2, like those GBA cartridges that came with two games, back in the day. Except this would have every Pokémon game to date.

And you need to learn some damn respect for other people's opinions, you sound like a child. CASE CLOSED.

GBA cartridges were about 16MB, I believe. DS cartridges were 512MB and 3DS cartridges are indeed 8GB. The features described actually don't take up too much space. The bulk of storage is taken up by textures, models and sound files. Smaller simple features are easily doable. New areas could just use existing textures and models, and while trainer customization and new buildings & stuff would need new models and textures, I can't imagine it'd take more than a couple hundred MB to get all of this looking reasonable on the 3DS's puny little 240p screen.

So lemme see... If a 3DS cartridge is 8GB, then... wouldn't all previous games be able to fit inside just one of the Generation 6 games?

16MB times 5 games is 80MB. Plus 9 games with 512MB each, would be 4608.

So 4688MB converted into GB would be 4.688 GB. And I can't imagine the original Kanto-Johto games are bigger than the Hoenn games. So let's say a maximum of... 5GB? That'd all fit on a 3DS cartridge.

GameFreak should release all Generation 1-5 games on a single 3DS cartridge and call it "The Pokémon Collection". THAT would be an AWESOME 20th anniversary present from them to us. No one's going to buy many of the old games now anyway, and most are hard to find, so GameFreak should take advantage of nostalgia and the fact that people want to replay the old games exactly how they were. Plus, being on a 3DS cartridge would completely negate the main complaint of replaying Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal: THE BATTERY.

That way all the features I listed would be featured in a game. And then we'd finally get a Pokémon game with multiple save files, because you'd have a save file in Blue, a save file in Silver, a save file in Sapphire, etc. :D

Best idea yet.

Thank you! ^_^ I doubt Game Freak would do this, but since the franchise's slogan is "Catch 'Em All" and most people don't have all of the games, this would be a great way to... "Buy Them All"! LOL And to support the 20th Anniversary, they could release an event legendary from Gens 1-5 per month during the entire year, all of which would only be encounter-able in "The Pokémon Collection" as opposed to X/Y/OR/AS. And TPC could be compatible with Pokémon Bank for added fun. Who hasn't dreamed of moving up their team from their original Red/Blue version all the way to OR/AS? This would make it possible!

I do respect others opinions, but you need to show respect too. You don't tell someone that they acting like a child or are a child. That is bullying and trolling. I am just saying that a game with all features from previous games is not happening because it seems too much and time consuming.

I do respect others opinions, but you need to show respect too. You don't tell someone that they acting like a child or are a child. That is bullying and trolling. I am just saying that a game with all features from previous games is not happening because it seems too much and time consuming.

I can guarantee you we all respect your opinions. It just becomes difficult to show when you conclude them in the most obnoxious way possible.

Last edited:
I'm surprised we haven't already gotten e-shop re-releases of the older main series games tbh. I wouldn't mind getting a collection of some sort.

I am just saying that a game with all features from previous games is not happening because it seems too much and time consuming.

The user you were talking to did not suggest a single game. What they suggested was a game-collection. All pre-gen 6 games re-released on a single 3DS cart. The games would only need to be modified to work on the 3DS, and maybe update their link and trade systems. In my opinion, without knowing GF's code of course, the hardest part of that would be optimizing it for the newer hardware, and the 3DS's operating system. The trade system could be handled by an app on that cart external to the games, with forced limitations.

We'd love it and it'd be quick, easy profit for Nintendo and GameFreak.

Telling somebody the truth about how they're acting is not bullying, and it ain't trolling either.... It's called being bluntly honest. Bullying is when one or more people constantly harass you in either a physical or verbal(sometimes going as far as threatening) manner for the sole purpose of making that person miserable. I should know, I was bullied my entire life growing up.

Whenever you state "case closed" after you post a disagreement that you have with that person, you're saying that YOU have the final say, YOU are the one that is absolutely right, and that what everybody else says is not valid and/or not worth listening to. That, my friend, is being childish.

Telling somebody the truth about how they're acting is not bullying, and it ain't trolling either.... It's called being bluntly honest. Bullying is when one or more people constantly harass you in either a physical or verbal(sometimes going as far as threatening) manner for the sole purpose of making that person miserable. I should know, I was bullied my entire life growing up.

Whenever you state "case closed" after you post a disagreement that you have with that person, you're saying that YOU have the final say, YOU are the one that is absolutely right, and that what everybody else says is not valid and/or not worth listening to. That, my friend, is being childish.

You're right. I am sorry if my post came out as childish or disrespectful. It wasn't my attention but I apologize for it nevertheless. I will stop with the "case closed" thing and I make sure to check what I am going to post before posting. I am sorry everyone.

Anyway, if Kanto remakes did happen, would there be a post game story with Mew just like Deoxys in ORAS or is Deoxys a one-off thing for mythical pokemon becoming in-game pokemon? Also I would like to see Team Rocket involve as Team Rocket is the only bad guys to not involve legendaries in the plot.

I am just saying that a game with all features from previous games is not happening because it seems too much and time consuming.

The user you were talking to did not suggest a single game. What they suggested was a game-collection. All pre-gen 6 games re-released on a single 3DS cart. The games would only need to be modified to work on the 3DS, and maybe update their link and trade systems. In my opinion, without knowing GF's code of course, the hardest part of that would be optimizing it for the newer hardware, and the 3DS's operating system. The trade system could be handled by an app on that cart external to the games, with forced limitations.

Exactly, I couldn't have summed it up better myself. I really need GameFreak to do this. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of talented ROM hackers out there who could and would. LOL

But if they're smart, they'd do this for the anniversary. It'd be so quick and easy and wildly profitable.

Exactly, I couldn't have summed it up better myself. I really need GameFreak to do this. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of talented ROM hackers out there who could and would. LOL

But if they're smart, they'd do this for the anniversary. It'd be so quick and easy and wildly profitable.

This so much. Plus, it would give us the Battle Frontier via Pokémon Emerald, making up for just copying/pasting the Battle Maison from XY into ORAS!

My crack theory is that Zinnia's ramblings may come to light, and we'll actually be able to temporarily travel to alternate game dimensions somewhere in the conflict of the next game...Like Sonic Generations, another 20th Anniversary celebration. If possible, maybe even handle the other worlds like Kingdom Hearts 2's Timeless River, where everything reverts to classic style visuals and sound while you're there.

More seriously, I do think it'd be weird of them to raise that idea the way that they did and not explore it in some fashion...

Though I think Gen 6 has more than enough nostalgia as it is tbh.

Last edited:
My crack theory is that Zinnia's ramblings may come to light, and we'll actually be able to temporarily travel to alternate game dimensions somewhere in the conflict of the next game...Like Sonic Generations, another 20th Anniversary celebration. If possible, maybe even handle the other worlds like Kingdom Hearts 2's Timeless River, where everything reverts to classic style visuals and sound while you're there.

More seriously, I do think it'd be weird of them to raise that idea the way that they did and not explore it in some fashion...

Though I think Gen 6 has more than enough nostalgia as it is tbh.

Actually, it would be interesting to see a game where you travel between different dimensions. Maybe something where you have two different dimensional copies of the region with subtle design differences between them. But I don't think they'd do something like that, it'd be too complex and meta for a kid's game.

it'd be too complex and meta for a kid's game.

I'm going to throw the fact that Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky exists in here. Not to mention the heavyweight plot.

Mystery Dungeon handles it much differently than what I'm talking about. In Mystery Dungeon, you only went to the future for a certain amount of levels and they were unique levels. I'm talking about having a dimensional copy of the region, like Metroid Prime 2 or Sonic CD, having the same areas between the two but with different designs and paths.

And the darker plot isn't the problem, the problem is that it wouldn't really fit the badge quest. It'd be kind of awkward and repetitive to have to collect badges in both dimensions.

The closest that we got to traveling to other dimensions was the Distortion World in Platinum, so I think it would be awesome if we were to go even further than that. They did open a pretty massive can of worms with that subject in the Delta Episode, but it's hard to say if Game Freak will ever elaborate more on that. It would be nice for them to do it, though.

Back
Top Bottom